Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Why go with PSA for 1953 and earilier??

I have 200+ cards of the 1948 Bowman Basketball. I plan to get them
all graded and hold them for 7 to 10 years. I don't feel inclined to do
the PSA set registry.

Does anyone know if and when PSA will offer a special on VINTAGE BULK
1953 and earlier ? At $10 a card, I'd rather go with SGC @ $7.00.

I saw some guys study on realized card prices of PSA vs. SGC
and SGC won?

Can anyone convience me why I should go with PSA?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    If you're planning on holding them for 7-10 years and have no interest in the registry then why bother to get them graded by anyone? Things could change radically in that time, and the right choice right now may not be the right choice then- holders could be different, half grades could be implemented, reputations change, anything. A nice set in pages is great to look at.
    If the study you're referencing is the one I"m thinking about it is severely flawed and very heavily biased. If you're really looking for an accurate price comparision use a service like vintagecardprices.com and draw your own conclusions.
    If you want them holdered choose the holder that looks best to you, with your set. If you're looking to sell off the dupes yourself you'd probably want to go with PSA, since their registry is much stronger and I suspect a lot of your buyers will be registry guys- assuming your cards are higher grades. If they are lower grade you might do better raw, and if you're going to consign them to an auction house let them pay for the grading.

edited for spelling

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    griffins advice is pretty sound.
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I do think Griffen took care of that..image

What he said
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I think Griffins advice is the right answer. I think the PSA route is the best choice for today. The cards are going to sell higher in PSA vs. SGC due to the set registry. I have a strong feeling that if PSA doesn't start giving better service, their position in this market will not be the same as today. I think PSA is really enjoying the top position too much and think their business can't faulter.
    Their service has gotten worse and you can't even complain about it, because no one cares and half of them work one day a week.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    What Griffins said. According to VCP there has not been a recorded SGC sale for 48 Bowman Baskeball in ExMt or higher since they started tracking basketball cards.