Home Sports Talk

Redemption of the slugger (Ryan Howard)

stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
Redemption of the slugger

By Tim Brown, Yahoo! Sports
February 18, 2007

CLEARWATER, Fla. – A fair amount of time has passed since an athlete has stood above his sport like Ryan Howard, possessing power and quickness and breadth, and been granted the virtuous path.

Certainly it is so in baseball, where the protagonists in a long-ball generation systematically have been sorted from the game's rational limits and separated from their own feats.

The process of categorizing is clumsy, specious and wearying. It is arguably necessary, and entirely impossible.

Only the first several hundred ballots have been cast and counted in the primaries of the performance-enhancing-drug age, and regret is running way ahead. But this week Barry Bonds reports to Scottsdale, Ariz., and Sammy Sosa up the road in Surprise, and Guillermo Mota begins the year on suspension but under a multimillion-dollar contract, and Mark McGwire has no plans to travel to Cooperstown, and human growth hormone will go undetected for another year.

At the same time, Howard, a 27-year-old from Missouri who hit 58 home runs in his first full big-league season, buttoned a Philadelphia Phillies jersey. After a workout of batting practice, shagging flies for teammates and revisiting his defensive footwork, he sat behind a table with a talk-to-me smile.

No one gets out for free. This, Howard seems to suspect. He calls it a cloud, waving at it, as if to diffuse its murkiness. Those who use – or used – are left to their insecurities and, maybe someday, to George Mitchell's posse. Those who didn't are suspected anyway or trampled by those who did. Everybody loses.

Howard seems comfortable in his public corner, however. Perhaps it is his trained humility. Perhaps it comes with clarity of conscience. We may never know. He did come within three home runs of Roger Maris, inspiring talk of "a legit 61" before running out of pitches to hit over the final three weeks.

One cannot choose one's era.

So what is left for Howard is a bat and the next pitch, and then the next question. He returned from 4½ months of relative solitude spent mulling the meaning of those 58 home runs, 149 RBI, .313 batting average and his first National League Most Valuable Player award. He'd met Hank Aaron in an October awards ceremony in Howard's native St. Louis. He'd chatted with Reggie Jackson, Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken while in New York to pick up his MVP trophy. He'd worked out with Albert Pujols.

When he returned for his bat and mitt, he found – as he surely suspected – that little had happened to change his era.

"It's tough these days because … there's such a cloud over the game," he said. "It's like you can't do anything well without being accused of being on something. Right now, it's kind of a sad day where that's overhead. Hopefully, we can get all that cleared up with the whole baseball program in place. It seems to be doing pretty well. Hopefully we can just get this cloud outta here and get back to regular ball."

Howard was born with the gift of heft. He is 6-foot-4 and listed at 230 pounds but appears larger. Already there is talk of him maintaining an optimum weight, both for the sake of the rest of his body and his unbelievably pure stroke. Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said Sunday his cleanup hitter looked good, adding, "By the time the season starts, his weight will be exactly where it was last year."

The Phillies, who have designs on overtaking the New York Mets in the NL East and just might have the pitching to do it, will take exactly what Howard was last year. Only five men – Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Maris and Babe Ruth – have hit more home runs in a season. Only Ruth, when he hit 59 home runs in 1921, did it as a younger man.

It has been said that baseball needs a man like Ryan Howard, and it might as well be said that baseball got itself into a lot of trouble the last time it needed big, strong, handsome men to hit home runs.

"I don't know about torch-carrying or anything like that," he said. "To me, I just never really saw the purpose of it. To me, my personal thoughts were just that, 'It's not me.' That's not Ryan Howard. That's not who I am, out there playing. That's something else that's helping me do that. I just wanted to see how good I am, naturally, with what I've been given. That's always been my thought process about steroids and all that other kind of stuff.

"I've never had anybody come up to me and offer me steroids. No. I've never had that. I've known guys that have used it, like, back in the past. I've seen guys that have used it, and that was another thing to me that showed me. This guy's doing this, he's on that, and I'm doing 'me' and I'm killing this guy. So, it's kind of like, what's the purpose of doing that if you're not getting that super benefit? I just never saw the benefit of doing it."

Honestly, to sit across from the man and hear him say it is to believe it. So, yes, maybe baseball needs that, needs him.

Howard said he had no problem with Bonds breaking Aaron's record, seeing as how Bonds has not tested positive for anything stronger than amphetamines.

"Whatever happens, if it happens, then it happens," he said. "I mean, there's nothing you can do to stop it or change it."

He didn't sound as though he had a problem with McGwire's Hall of Fame outcome, either.

"If I had a vote," he said, smiling, "I probably would have been sick that day. Maybe had a cold coming on."

On a cold, dreary October day in St. Louis, Howard said, Aaron had only a little time and used it to impart a piece of well-worn wisdom.

"Just to keep doing what I've been doing," he recalled. "I believe in his speech he said the game needs someone like me and to basically keep doing what I've been doing, and to stay the same."

So he accepts?

"Sure," he said. "As long as it helps get this cloud out of the way, if that's how you want to look at it. You need me, then so be it. I'm just going to go out and still do what I can."

Comments

LETS GO METS !!! image
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan who? There will be another guy to come along and be just like him with the same story, baseball's reputation is years away from speculation of "how did he hit all those hr's" Good for Ryan though on a great season, hopefully he can keep it up.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Good gawd. I couldn't even get past the first two or three wildly overwritten sentences. That hack should go back to writing copy for sports memorabilia auction catalogs.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awww....so the usual suspects who bash Philadelphia sports teams don't like a feel good story about a nice guy with a great attitude who is now the game's premier power hitter. Jealous that you don't have him on your team, right? Well tough apples, especially for Mets fans because this season you're gonna get some competition! HA!!!

Go Phillies!!!!!
  • Well tough apples, especially for Mets fans because this season you're gonna get some competition! HA!!!

Steve, i agree, i think Florida and Atlanta make a run at the division this year image

DP
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Florida and Atlanta will compete - agreed

The NL East is gonna be tough this season. I think all four teams match up pretty well. The Phils need some bullpen help, and trading Leiber will help get it.

The key to the Phils offense is going to be Burrell .... Howard needs better protection.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards

• << <i>Florida and Atlanta will compete - agreed

The NL East is gonna be tough this season. I think all four teams match up pretty well. The Phils need some bullpen help, and trading Leiber will help get it.

The key to the Phils offense is going to be Burrell .... Howard needs better protection. >>

Burrell better measure up this year or he's out. He's got a tough spot. Unfortunately they won't get much for him then.

Please, please trade Lieber.
  • Phillies have it easy this year....

the Mets may have the WORST starting staff ever i the history of Baseball....

1. Glavine almost retired last year from an arm injury....no way he makes 30 starts
    2. El Duque is 6 years past his prime..if it were not for 1 playoff inning with the white sox, he would still be in the scrap heap..no way he makes 25 starts....
    3. their "young Guns" are all cast offs from other organizations that their self proclaimed pitching guru Peterson, thinks he can fix....
    4. Petersons methods may actually be detrimental, name the last Mets pitcher to last an entire season? answer...NONE!

the cardinals will breeze to another National League championship behing King Albert who is starting his 7th year as best player in the game
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phillies have it easy this year....

the Mets may have the WORST starting staff ever i the history of Baseball....

1. Glavine almost retired last year from an arm injury....no way he makes 30 starts
    2. El Duque is 6 years past his prime..if it were not for 1 playoff inning with the white sox, he would still be in the scrap heap..no way he makes 25 starts....
    3. their "young Guns" are all cast offs from other organizations that their self proclaimed pitching guru Peterson, thinks he can fix....
    4. Petersons methods may actually be detrimental, name the last Mets pitcher to last an entire season? answer...NONE!

the cardinals will breeze to another National League championship behing King Albert who is starting his 7th year as best player in the game

The same Cards that breezed to a BARELY .500 record in 2006 and went down as the worst team ever to win a World Series with Whining Albert at the helm? And without their NLCS MVP Jeff Suppan to save them, Cards will be home watching the Series at Shea come October!

P.S. Ryan Howard was NL MVP last year, too, and this year it'll be Beltran.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I'll tell you what, being the Worst Team to Ever Win the World Series beats the hell out of being the Best Team to Ever Not Win the World Series.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

<< <i>I'll tell you what, being the Worst Team to Ever Win the World Series beats the hell out of being the Best Team to Ever Not Win the World Series. >>

Now how can you argue with that???
  • Ryan Howard is a force and one of the "good guys" for MLB. I wish him well. I don't get the other negative stuff on this thread.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
    The only negative on Howard is he does not have too much protection behind him, Pat Burrell I believe?
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Awww....so the usual suspects who bash Philadelphia sports teams don't like a feel good story about a nice guy with a great attitude who is now the game's premier power hitter. Jealous that you don't have him on your team, right? Well tough apples, especially for Mets fans because this season you're gonna get some competition! HA!!!

Go Phillies!!!!! >>

The game's premier power hitter? After one season? Hey, I like Ryan Howard a lot - but the game's premier power hitter plays in Boston, last I checked. You can pick either one, by the way.

<< <i>
    The game's premier power hitter? After one season? Hey, I like Ryan Howard a lot - but the game's premier power hitter plays in Boston, last I checked. You can pick either one, by the way. >>

OK. I will go with Papi over Manny.
    So would I, perkdog - image
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Awww....so the usual suspects who bash Philadelphia sports teams don't like a feel good story about a nice guy with a great attitude who is now the game's premier power hitter. Jealous that you don't have him on your team, right? Well tough apples, especially for Mets fans because this season you're gonna get some competition! HA!!!

Go Phillies!!!!! >>

The game's premier power hitter? After one season? Hey, I like Ryan Howard a lot - but the game's premier power hitter plays in Boston, last I checked. You can pick either one, by the way. >>

I'll stick with Howard - For current production as well as potential, he would have to be considered the premier power hitter in MLB by objective baseball fans. Unless someone considers Howard to be a flash-in the-pan. Anything's possible, but I don't see that happening with Howard.

-

<< <i>

<< <i>

Go Phillies!!!!! >>

I'll stick with Howard - For current production as well as potential, he would have to be considered the premier power hitter in MLB by objective baseball fans. Unless someone considers Howard to be a flash-in the-pan. Anything's possible, but I don't see that happening with Howard.

- >>

Game on the line. You really would rather have Howard at the plate than Papi? Other than Pujols, Papi would be my choice any day of the week.
    Forget Pujols - and especially forget Howard for this discussion - Ortiz has basically defined clutch hitting over the last half decade. And, his numbers keep getting better every season. Again, I like Howard, but he is not in David Ortiz's league. Not yet, anyway.
  • I agree that Howard is no David Ortiz, but he is as close a second as there is. Forget who's setting him up....there's a lot more talent in Boston than Phila.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...

• << <i>Forget Pujols - and especially forget Howard for this discussion - Ortiz has basically defined clutch hitting over the last half decade. And, his numbers keep getting better every season. Again, I like Howard, but he is not in David Ortiz's league. Not yet, anyway. >>

Not yet is true, but the guy is a monster at the plate.

The Phils didn't do him any justice by letting Thome hang around, thereby keeping Howard in the minors for a year or two longer. They brought him to sping training, let him play a bit then sent him down. Bring him back again when Thome gets injured or in garbage time in September. He should have been playing full time no less than two years ago.

He may not have hit his stride yet. They just need to play him right, give him some help with the batting order, and pitchers that can protect a lead.