Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA vs GAI- why the lack of confidence

I wanted to hear some opinions on this. If the head guys from PSA went to GAI-then why do a percentage of collectors get nervous buying GAI cards even when they are bought in person. I only buy the card (not the grade) to eliminate this dilemma. I've seen 8.5's that were awesome and some that stunk. image

Comments

• Options
    GAI sells autographs. That's a clear conflict of interest.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Speaking as the person who has the #1 Nolan Ryan PSA Master set, I have seen two blantantly forged Ryan autographed cards which were both slabbed "Authentic" by GAI. These signatures were not even close. Laughable I would venture to say.

My 2 cents on the subject.
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wanted to hear some opinions on this. If the head guys from PSA went to GAI-then why do a percentage of collectors get nervous buying GAI cards even when they are bought in person. I only buy the card (not the grade) to eliminate this dilemma. I've seen 8.5's that were awesome and some that stunk. image >>

Obviously you haven't been around the graded market long enough to know the stories of the old regime. Do some research and talk to some dealers and you'll get your answers.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    THe short answer is that the "old guard" at PSA were thought by many to give lenient grades out to certain dealers or collectors. Some collectors actively avoid any cards in holders from the first couple of years PSA was in buisness due to this.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    In short, GAI has lost market credibility
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In short, GAI has lost market credibility >>

Sad but true. No one ever had so many advantages at the outset and squandered them so badly.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    They should be back on top by Monday though.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    This is the main reason that I buy the card and not the holder. If the regime went hand in hand with the dealers then what does this say about the dealers? Also, how many millions of cards were graded while these people were there? There is potentially quite a bit of junk in holders out there. THANKS for the responses guys.
  • Options
    Another big problem with GAI cards is the fact that many of the cards that were in GAI holders that did not have problems (i.e. fairly graded or undergraded, and not altered or trimmed), have already been crossed to PSA/SGC or cracked out and submitted. So the cards still in GAI holders are more likely to have problems because they werent' cracked or crossed. This is probably a bigger problem for GAI 7 and higher cards, and less of a problem for GAI 4 cards.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I agree with cmoking on that. Stay away from those GAI 8.5's, they all have wrinkles image
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with cmoking on that. Stay away from those GAI 8.5's, they all have wrinkles image >>

So do I, but the Mrs. don't complain