Home Metal Detecting
Options

Poll: should the MD Forum be renamed? (The majority said no- poll deleted!)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
Edit- never mind! The majority who voted in the poll said, "It ain't broke, so don't fix it!"

I've long been of the opinion that since not all treasure is metallic, and many of us do other forms of treasure hunting besides mere metal detecting, that this should be called the Collectors Universe Treasure Hunting Forum.

For example, we have a collector and hunter of prehistoric artifacts, I dabble in fossil hunting, and I know there are people out there who are interested in gemstones and such. We have our resident "Marble King" and a bottle hunter or two.

Our host is mostly a coin-related entity, I think, and that's fine- I believe we're all metal detectorists first and foremost, and most of us are coinshooters. But there are other fields of treasure hunting to enjoy.

With my numismatic background as a collector and later a small dealer of coins for thirty years, my preferred form of treasure hunting is and will always be coinshooting, first and foremost. But Civil War and Revolutionary War relics turn me on, too, and pretty much any relic from bygone eras. I love old buttons and badges and such, and I like hunting for old bottles, too, though I haven't done that in years.

The Collectors Universe conglomerate as a whole is geared to many forms of collectibles. Just browse the forums here- you'll see Sportscards and Stamps and Rare Records and Autographs, to name a few, not to mention a General Collectibles Forum.

Since "treasure" is more than just metal, shouldn't we be the "Treasure Hunting" forum instead of just "Metal Detecting"?

I think so. If many of you are of the same mind, then perhaps the poll results can be a petition to our hosts to change the name. Of course the decision is entirely up to them, regardless of what we think, but maybe if there's enough support for the idea, we can persuade them to do it.

I think we could draw a wider participation from many different kinds of treasure hunters that way. And I think more participation would support both the interests of this forum and of our host.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments