Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Any Canadian "nickel" collectors here?

I put "nickel" in quotes because my Whitman folder calls Canadian 5 cent pieces that, even though there are a number made of tombac and steel.

I've decided to start collecting Canadian 5 cent pieces because I finished collecting Canadian silver dollars and don't want to collect anything really expensive just yet.

Besides the 1926 near date, are there any tough coins I need to beware of? Actually, I'm mainlyinterested in getting George VI and Elizabeth II coins in high grade to keep costs down. I don't anticipate getting any high grade George V coins. If it were up to me, I'd rather have started with George VI and gone all the way to 2000, but my Whitman album only has spaces up to 1967.

I'd appreciate any pointers on this series.
Obscurum per obscurius

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only other key date is 1925. If you need one I have one for sale.

There are also Near leaf and far leaf varieties of the 1953 nickels which are somwhat rare. 1953 NSF near leaf and 1953 SF far leaf are in the $200-400 range in VG.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only other key date is 1925. If you need one I have one for sale.

There are also Near leaf and far leaf varieties of the 1953 nickels which are somwhat rare. 1953 NSF near leaf and 1953 SF far leaf are in the $200-400 range in VG. >>

I have since learned that the far 6 is the scarce 1926 variety. It's a good thing I don't collect varieties!

What do the 1925's go for?

Perhaps I should get a blank Dansco and only collect 1937 on as I prefer to do.
    Obscurum per obscurius

<< <i>What do the 1925's go for? >>

About $65 in VG.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

<< <i>

<< <i>What do the 1925's go for? >>

About $65 in VG. >>

Yep, I think I'll stick with the cheap modern PLs.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • The five cent is a very nice set to go for. I have put 3 of these sets together from 1922-date, for the chitlins. Now I'm doing the Silver Proof from 1981-date it's ongoing. They are only about $3-$5 each, but what a nice coin.
  • Shiro, I have a 1970, 1971 and 1972 Canadian 5c from chopped up mint sets that are looking for a happy home if you desire them. I'm working on Canadian 50c and 10c myself. Send me a message if interested. This wouldn't be a "sale", just looking for someone who will hang onto them as part of a collection. Send me a message if you desire them.

<< <i>Shiro, I have a 1970, 1971 and 1972 Canadian 5c from chopped up mint sets that are looking for a happy home if you desire them. I'm working on Canadian 50c and 10c myself. Send me a message if interested. This wouldn't be a "sale", just looking for someone who will hang onto them as part of a collection. Send me a message if you desire them. >>

Can you turn on your PM function for me? image

I'd be happy to send something in return. I think Shimmy sent me a roll of 2002 commemorative (1952-2002 Golden Jubilee) 50 cent business strikes, and I'm sure I have some somewhere.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Try again on PM, Shiro. I think I have it enabled now.
  • 1944 tombac image

8,000 piece mintage, only one specimen known today.

• << <i>1944 tombac image

8,000 piece mintage, only one specimen known today. >>

Yeah, you're right. Have my Canadian coin book near me.

Quote:
    "Most of the 1944 5c tombac reamined unissued and were melted; only one is known to have survived. The coin was auctioned at the ANA sale in 1999 for $38,500 USD."

Bet that little dickens would go for a lot more now.

<< <i>

<< <i>1944 tombac image

8,000 piece mintage, only one specimen known today. >>

Yeah, you're right. Have my Canadian coin book near me.

Quote:
    "Most of the 1944 5c tombac reamined unissued and were melted; only one is known to have survived. The coin was auctioned at the ANA sale in 1999 for $38,500 USD."

Bet that little dickens would go for a lot more now. >>

Yea, verily.

Since I have neither $40 grand to drop on a coin and there's no slot for a tombac 1944 5 cent piece in my Library of Coins album, I guess I won't buy one.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Hello,
    My father is the owner of the one and only 1944 Tombac Canadian 5 Cent Piece (AKA Tombac Nickel.) As you may have read in the April 17th issue of the Canadian Coin News, he will be putting it up for auction on eBay this month. If you have an interest in following the auction, please send an email to tombacnickel@gmail.com to be added to the launch announcement list--you will be provided a link to the auction page.
    You can also follow @TombacNickel on Twitter for more info.
    Thanks

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

can help you with most CAN nickels from 1922 to 1953 including the scares varieties from 1925, 1926 and 1953(mules). if you are interested, please PM me.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭✭

shirohniichan: I can help as well, in various grades/conditions. PM me with list of dates & conditions needed. PLUS, I have an assortment of Canadian Whitman folders to sell/trade, if you are interested. Always looking to help/trade! :)

Please note the date of Shiro's original post.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

oops! :s

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

egg on nose..... :o

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

glad I wasn't the only one! ;)

I come back once or twice a decade to check on things.

Obscurum per obscurius
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is finally coming to fruition :D