Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Coin removal from Mint capsules

What is the trick to remove coins from the mint capsules
so that they can be submitted to PCGS for grading ?

May I submit the coins still in the Mint capsules to
PCGS for grading ?
Jim Driscoll

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't remove them yourself.
    Let PCGS do it. They will.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• You can submit them in the capsule, in fact I urge you to do it. You can use a utility razor blade to open them. if you want the capsules back you must request them back on the submission form.

• Excellent question. Will they also break out the proof set from the late 70's and early 80's. I only want a couple of the coins graded, what will they do with the other coins.

• First,let Me thank You for You rapid reply.

Second,there are some coins that I want
    to remove from the Mint capsules to use
    in My Dansco albums.

What is the trick to getting them out of the
    holders without cracking the holder?

In the past I've used Vise-Grips to crack
    open the holders, but often the coins get
    marked,scratched. And then I get My finger
    prints on them.

Someone mentioned freezing them then
    trying to pry them open.

What's Your best method that works for
    You ?
    Jim Driscoll
  • Use one of the razor blades that you use for utility knives and work it into the small crack between the two halves.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carefully use the razor blade, or, if you have patience and a good fingernail, use that.
    I use the fingernail....sometimes it takes so long as to drive me crazy (they aren't long, and I trim them every few days, so sometimes they are too short to work).

For the late '70s and '80s proof sets, yes, PCGS will do them for you...but you have to get all the coins graded. Call PCGS' customer service for any questions around these as you want to make sure that things are still valid and haven't changed.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment