Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Coin Photos

I'm looking for advice on how to get my coins in My registry set.
A fellow collector mentioned using a HP scanner,rather than using a camera.
Has any body else got some advice/experance using scanners,what HP model
do You use and can You adjust the contrast of the scanned coin?
Thanks for all and any help
Jim Driscoll

Comments

• Options
    I had an old Epson 610 and scanned this image on it. I took it apart to clean the glass and it hasn't worked since! Here is a link to one:rev poof scanned image
    I ordered a new Canon Lide 70 and am hopeing it will be just as good. I don't think there is much difference, I hope!
    Here is my registry with all scanned images.
    RAP 2006 proofs
    There was a thread here a while back on scanning that indicated it was not as easy as I had thought.

If you wait I will put the images in my registry when I get my new Cannon.
    Good luck
    RAP

scanning thread
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See this tread for some info Link

Scanning is not the way to go for proofs Digtal Camera. Lots of threads on it.

Practice

Practice

Practice

And more Practice

Then we will talk about lighting. Cameras and copy stands.
  • Options
    I have tried to photo proofs but have much better results so far with the scanner. Just HOW do you photo a coin?
    Do you have a special camera or set up to get the lighting right? That has been my biggest problem and then the focus, without enough light the exposure is so long the camera or light move and blurr the image.
    I know scanning is a lot faster if not better.
    I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to learn, but just what is wrong with this image?
    silver proof
    Here is the best I have done with a camera, and it took several days to do it.
    Dragon culture proof
    I would like to know how to take good pictures if it possible.
    Thanks
    RAP
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to learn, but just what is wrong with this image?
    silver proof >>

That's actually a damned good image for a scanner. Not quite as good as a digital camera, though.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    And here's a reverse proof:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Here is the problem I have with a scanner:
    But other than that, I don't see much difference.
    The question still is: HOW did you take/light that picture?
  • Options
    That problem gets worse with the rev:
    This is why I want to know how to take fantastic photo's like those.
    Thanks
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    This link will show you everything you need to knowimage

Coin Pictures
  • Options
    Thank you very much, that is what I needed.image
    After studying the artical I realized the missing link to good pictures is the macro lens, just not possible without it. With my point and shoot type camera I have to get too close to get a good focus, and proper lighting without it.
    I guess the scanner is my only option right now, don't know if I want to invest a couple of grand just to take good pictures.
    At least I know what I need and how to do it, and I thank you all for that.
    RAP
  • Options
    scanned with a little editing.
    My new Canon Lide 70, you get what you pay for.
    Anyone want a brand new scanner, FREE!!!
  • Options
    I use a cheep HP 5.3 Mega Pixles and am supper happy with my images.
    Check them out Bust Dollars with Varieties.

Jay
    Presidential Collection
    The Presidential Collection
  • Options

<< <i>don't know if I want to invest a couple of grand just to take good pictures. >>

I have a $70 camera and three bucks worth of light bulbs.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I'll give you $100 forthe camera and lens that took those pictures.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll give you $100 forthe camera and lens that took those pictures. >>

It's a Nikon Coolpix 950 that I picked up used on eBay. I have two of them, one I got for $80, the other for $70. They're probably even less by now.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    My problem is not knowing the symbol for mycro. So many symbols and no instructions to go by. image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>My problem is not knowing the symbol for mycro. So many symbols and no instructions to go by. >>

It should be a flower.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nikon will have instructions available on their website.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My problem is not knowing the symbol for mycro. So many symbols and no instructions to go by. >>

MACRO MACRO MACRO MACRO MACRO MACRO MACRO MACRO MACRO MACRO
    There I wrote it ten times, maybe next time I will spell it right. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Hi Russ, are you sure those pics came from the 950?
    I have been looking at the reviews and it does seem possible. I was part right, the new price on that camera was $650, 7 yrs. ago, the modern eq. is well over a grand, but you are right I can get one for under $100. I think I will try it.
    I have a $400 Canon powershot and it isn't even in the same catagory as the Nicon.
    Thanks for the lead to a good camera, cheap!
  • Options
    Follow Russ's lead on this one...trust me. You can get a camera that takes phenomenal photos for less than $100.

Also, to maximize the contrast between the fields and devices on the coin (cameo), try using a small plain white lampshade (by that I mean like 6-8" diameter at the bottom) over the slab and shoot straight down into the lampshade. You might have to buy a couple (at Target, Walmart) and cut them down a bit to get them to be the right height that you need for your camera. It's a trick that I learned from Russ on the boards. Plain and simple, the lampshade diffuses the light. Search under lamp shade on the US forum...tons of posts will pop up.

Your lighting/light bulbs should all face towards the lampshade but don't put the light OVER the lampshade (keep it low) because you want the lighting to come in thru the lampshade NOT in from the top. I used to put each light source about 4 inches away from the edge of the lampshade - about half way up the lampshade.

I used to get spectacular results. It REALLY brings out the cameo affect tremendously. I erased all of my lincoln proof pics that I shot because I sold them all..but below I have inserted a photo of one of my daughter's proof SAE's:

This is a raw shot, no photoshopping or anything. Done with an old 2 megapixel SONY Mavica camera that came out over 7 years ago. image Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for all the advice, I really appreciate it. You guys may even make a photographer out of me yet.
    Macro photography is sure different than regular photos. I will try again with my Canon, maybe its not the camera but operator thats no good.
  • Options

This is the last one sold on ebay, US $202.50 , I think too many people are reading this tread!
    imagelast 950 on ebay
  • Options
    That's a fluke, and way too much. Just be patient.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    A 990 just went for $150, most of the 950's are starting at $100, I.m waiting.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank you for the information on this thread. I am very impressed with what you have done with older technology. I actually have an old Nikon 880 and I am going to try the techniques listed here. If any one has any other suggestions please post them. This is great information.

Thank you again.image
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    Russ,

How did you get such a great picture of the toned Morgan? This is where I have the most difficulty (true colors on the coins). Did you use the lampshade technique?

Thanks

Best Regards,

Rob

• Options

<< <i>How did you get such a great picture of the toned Morgan? >>

Same way I did this one:

I wait for the correct moon phase and star alignment, stand on one foot and hold my tongue in the right position. image

No lamp shade. I don't like diffused lighting on business strike coins.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Hi Russ,
    How do you get that perfect circle around the coin?
    That is not the natural backgound is it?
    I know you just twitch your nose and it majically dissapears!image
  • Options

<< <i>How do you get that perfect circle around the coin? >>

I use the free software that came with my scanner. It's called PhotoImpression 3.0.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    There must be a big difference between the 880 and the 950 or more likely the people operating the cameras! image I will continue to work on it. image
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    I have a $500 Canon power shot and it won't come close to those pictures. It has too many automatic features to overcome:
    The biggest problem is the self timer won't work in the macro mode. Then the manual focus times out after 30sec and there is no way to defeat it, it also resets when changing menus. Then if I do get a picture it looks terrible! It's most likely the lens, but it just don't cut it.
    Its not the operator, its the camera.
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    This picture was taken with a Nikon 5600 and about $10 worth of lighting equipment. A 5600 will run about $100 on Ebay.

• Options
    do you use the 5600 for all the photos of your coins, or do you have other camera's?
    I looked at the Nikon 5600 and it looks like a copy of my Canon, so if it works like it I don't want it!image
    I assume it has the same features as the 950 with updated quality, right?
    I have been looking for the 950 but this looks much better if it can do the same things and take pictures like this one.
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    I use the 5600 for all my pictures. I love it.
  • Options
    I think I will get one but before I do I have one question, How do you focus it in the macro mode?
    I looked at the new Nikons in a store and I could not get them to focus at very close range. I downloaded the specs on the 950 and the 5600 and there is absolutly no mention of focus.
    This is the problem I have with the Canon and I don't want to fight it with a new one.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    These guys have spent a lot of time learning and practicing with their cameras. A lot of it is getting the light just right so the camera can focus on the coin and not the slab. If you are shooting raw most cameras auto focus in Macro mode will work just fine. I don't have that much patience so I got a used Canon digital rebel where you can do a manual focus on the lens as well as buy additional macro lenses. Used camera + lens should be between $400-$500. And even with manual focus I have trouble.

All of the below are in PCGS slabs that have marks on the slab and were difficult to focus on the whole coin.

Only two GE reveal lights using cheap $5 clamp on light fixtures.

• Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    Thanks for the info and great photos as well.
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    I have to post one more image, not a photo, but a scanned image.
    I know it not a photo, but its good enough for record keeping of large numbers of coins.
    I have gone thru 4 scanners now to get to this, and its back to square one, a Epson 610 I got for $10 on ebay. The new scanners do not work, period. I still have to install the circle crop software, so excuse the hash on the boarder.
    I'm still going to get a camera but this will do in the mean time.