Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Full steps verses full strike!

For the Jefferson nickel collectors out there, to what degree does a nick on the steps really matter to you? Especially if the coin has been certified as having full steps but yet the nick should have prevented a FS designation. In this case, you bought a certified FS nickel over the internet for a fairly nice chunk of money. Whether it was $60, $600 or $6000, any of those amounts could qualify. Upon receiving the coin, the nick is there and the coin is really not a FS nickel. Do you.......

A. Return the coin to the seller.

B. Keep the coin.

C. Accept the coin because it has a full strike.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, this poll could also apply to all the attributes of FB, FT, FBL, FH. And even to the imaginary ones that don't even exist yet, full sails, full moons ....... image

Leo

• If I was buying a FB dime I would want the FB dime. What happens when PCGS says "Oh, it's a mechanical error" and your 3000 coin becomes a 30 dollar near miss. I gotta go with the coin and not the label. The next purchaser (I would hope) would think the same thing. Not something I want to be left holding the bag with. It6's like buying a poor man's double die, when you know it's not the real thing.
  • Leo.

Fullstep collecting has always been to me a
    pursuit of the finest. Just collect the best you
    can find of each date.

And after seeing numerous of my PCGS submittal packages come
    back without the FS designation when ever there is even
    a hint of a mark on the steps. I would avoid fullsteppers
    with any marks or hits. (presuming you can find better.)
    And of course most dates can be found without marks
    on the steps, given some patience and searching.

And have fun.

Regards, Steve Kent.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin should be returned, if a return privilege exists, if you are not satisfied with it. I think that is what it really boils down to.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• steve, i feel your pain, although i didn't let pcgs get my money on the fs coins with nicks. i did get some of the rare dates graded without the fs designation, but very few and aware that they wouldn't make full steps. otherwise, my set would be very close to 100% full steps.

in the 70's and 80's, a nick or two on the steps was perfectly acceptable (btw, i remember you from the pak fs 5c club days). pcgs has set the standard now, and that explains the high prices the series has achieved.
    Although, I haven't been able to figure out how to see the poll results, perhaps there aren't any image
    from the posters so far, I see an unanimous, stick it in you ear, the coin's going back to the seller. I have sensed the same animosity from other collectors as well. But I must add, if the coin is fully struck and high grade, I have the tendency to want that coin. But the steps must not have too destracting of a mark or a bridge in them, the fifth step must be complete unless it's a less common date like the 1953-S, 1960-D, 1961-D and others.

Leo

P.S. I really thought the poll was silly but sellers should keep this in mind when selling coins that are borderline although they have been certified otherwise. Collectors know what they want in the coins they collect.

• Leo.

I believe the poll results only appear, if
    you are logged in first.

Regards, Steve Kent.

<< <i>Leo.

I believe the poll results only appear, if
    you are logged in first.

Regards, Steve Kent. >>

Hi Steve

You're going to think this is funny...........but I finally figured it out..........that I needed to vote to see the results! image on me! Hey, I'm a image !

Leo

• Leo.

Perhaps another solution:

Buy the coin, send it back to PCGS for downgrade,
    and partial refund, since it has a nick in the steps.

????????

Regards, Steve Kent.

<< <i>Leo.

Perhaps another solution:

Buy the coin, send it back to PCGS for downgrade,
    and partial refund, since it has a nick in the steps.

????????

Regards, Steve Kent. >>

Steve

I have no idea what PCGS would do. They did correct the 1960-D this way. Would they agree with your claim at no charge or would they disagree then be charged for a grading fee. Winning PCGS to our way of thinking hasn't been fun. You would need alot of faith and determination if the problem with the coin wasn't concrete enough to get satisfying results. We have a ton of Registry collectors who have coins that need a second look before they go to sale but that's not happening. So it's not surprising that the end result for many of those overgraded coins is left to the true collector.

Leo