Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is there anyone more generous than Paul (stooge)?

MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let me set the scene" Last night I gave a test for my class, 1,600 students. I allow the students to use a 3x5 note card and I repeatedly told the students not to try to add "wings" or other devices to the card in order to increase the size. Well, sure enough today I find out that one student did so and now I have to deal with a cheater. I HATE this process, so I am truly bummed when I drive home. Then I stop at the mail box and there is no mail--it's been delivered to my house. So I'm moaning and groaning that I had to stop for no reason. This, then, is the scene:

I enter the house in a sour mood. Where's the mail and why wasn't it put in the lock box? Ah, here's the mail....bill, trash, magazine, more trash. Hey, wait a minute--what's with this brown padded envelope? I recognize the name on the return address: It's Paul! What has he done? Carefully I open the envelope. There's padding in there and a note. I grab the note and read. HE'S SENT ME A COIN--A DIME! And, he gave me its history--who gave it to him and his opinion of it. Man, this is WAY cool--this coin meant something to him. Now it means even more than me because of its shared history. Talk about a complete 180 switch in my mood. How completely kind and completely generous ... and totally in character for Paul, to send a dime totally out of the blue.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The dime people here are the best. And one of the best of the best is Paul. So, Paul, I will definitely enjoy the coin but frankly I will enjoy how it came to be in my collection even more!
Mark

Comments

• Options

Very cool, random acts of kindness
  • Options
  • Options
    THAT'S THE BEST THING ABOUT OUR FORUMS.
    WE HAVE SOME OF THE BEST,POLITE COLLECTORS
    COMPARED TO OTHER FORUMS AND WEB SITES
    Jim Driscoll
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Way cool Paul. Pass it on........imageimage
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Professor for all your kind words, but Dan60 had is hot little hands in this too.

Dan60 noticed some time ago that I was missing a 1970 in my Roosie set and offered to help me fill the void. He sent this coin to me and even though he did'nt think it looked all that great, I liked it alot. The coin has class. It is alittle dark, but has great strike and color. I had it in my set for sometime and then I pulled the trigger on that 1970 MS64FB and told Dan60 that I had this extra lying around and he said to "Give it away to a great Guy (Mark) that needs a boost in his set". The kind of Guy that mark is I sent him a PM asking if I could have his address and he said that he knew what it was for and that I didn't have to do this. Well 1 afternoon I was purusing Marks set (Again) and seen Tim, Tim, Tim, etc... on alot of this Dimes and I sen Tim an E-mail and sure enough he had his Address and the rest is History!

A long time ago I sent a PM to Nick asking him not to sell of his clads and if he did to let me know when and where because I wanted to buy a coin in his set...he sent me a 1998-P MS68FB for FREE, and since that 1 sincere random act of kindness, I said that I would try my best to continue the tradition in giving a few coins away from time to time and believe me when I say I know and remember every coin I have received and givin away. The wonderful friendships that evolve from giving is INCREDIBLE!

Mark, you are a great Guy, enjoy your new addition!

Your friend, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, you are right, Paul is a great guy who loves this hobby and enjoys helping others when he can.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say that reading Paul's post once again cements his plce as one of the truly great guys here. (Tim sneaks into this category also!! image )
    Mark

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Nick, Paul, Tim, and others that want to remain nameless. It's hard to say any one person is tops, but Paul is up there, thats for sure. Nice going Paul. image
    Dan
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, sure enough today I find out that one student did so >>

Wonderful gesture by Paul. Roosie guy's are the best!

Now, what are you going to do with this student? Just curious.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, sure enough today I find out that one student did so >>

Wonderful gesture by Paul. Roosie guy's are the best!

Now, what are you going to do with this student? Just curious. >>

Lablover beat me to it....from what I have seen (all the good and all the not so good on the forums...), the Roosie folks are, BY FAR, the creme de la creme around here!
    I don't mean to slight anybody, but to me, it is a fact that those that do the Roosies, particularly those that hang out on the registry forum, are thoughtful and think of each other as special friends and even as family.

Paul.... image to you!

Mark... Glad it helped your mood! image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and think of each other as special friends and even as family. >>

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers