Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1956 Topps baseball question?

Can someone with knowledge on the 56's explain the white backs in detail. Were they regional? Were they "error" ?

Any info would be nice

Dave
1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Topps used 2 different stocks. white and grey.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The white backs are the most common in #'s 1-100, with gray backs commanding a 10% premium (per Beckett). The white backs are most scarce in #'s 101-180, commanding a 30% premium (per Beckett). I personally think that the white backs in #'s 101-180 are more scarce than that. Cards 181-340 were issued in gray back only.

- Jack
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know why they had two different stocks? I have two complete sets of 56's that contain a grand total of 5 white backs. Were the white backs left over 55 stock, and ran until done then replaced by the grey stock? I just cant believe that out of 700+ cards I only have 5 white backs and they are not that rare(30%).

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Good question,

The back color differences, and team varaiations would make a complete master set for 1956 have somewhere near 600 cards.

The back color seems to have no efect on the front quality-condition. Most collectors see no real benifit for any particular color. The Wite backs seem a slight bit sharper or clearer, while the gray ones may add to the "vintage" feel of the card.

I would guess that the white stock is merely gray which has been "bleached" before the print and pictures were added. Topps may have felt the backs are insignificant and the bleaching process was a waste of time and money.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I don't buy the bleach theory. The white backs are more glossy and the grey are more ruff if I remm.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Don't quote me but I believe it was a cost issue midway through production. The gray stock was just cheaper. If this is so then series is sort of a mis-statement. It would mean a actual run of the second series occurs and then a return to the first series would occur. I believe I read it in a Beckett in a story about Topps beginning days with Sy Berger. I don't think people want to be reminded of the dumping of cards in the ocean by topps, including many late series 52' topps. I cry just thinking about it.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Kind of nice to sometimes discuss a few more elaborate details of a great set, rather than the set from year A is nicer looking than set from year B type of talks.

"Bleach" may not be the proper trem, however it seems either color back has no different feel or look than the other, and absolutely no influence on the front.
    Perhaps the stock was coated with white, perhaps it was two entirely different supplies of paper, Topps may or not remember what the story really was for the two different but similar color reverse sides. I recall the 59 set also has some white/gray back variations but in a very lesser amount than the 56 set.

It seems that there are more "rough cuts' on the cards with the gray backs rather than the white ones, this may signify the white was a bit sturdier or of a higher paper weight ( printing term for thickness/quality of paper).
    Anyone else feel the "rough cuts" are more common on either color back ?
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.