Home U.S. Coin Forum

UPDATED - Scanners for coins - need a recommendation

RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
We need to buy a new scanner in order to scan coins for our upcoming website. We will be scanning only RAW coins, and photographing slabbed coins. We are looking for a recommendation for those on the board who have scanners they are very happy with. Our criteria are as follows:
1. Accuracy of the scans compared to the coin in hand. We want the scans to look exactly like the coin, without any photo alterations being necessary.
2. Ease of use. We want a simple 5 second process that isn't any more complicated than push a button.
3. (Optional) If there is a scanner that scans both sides of the coin at the same time, we would like to know about it.
4. (Optional) Smaller size would be helpful. Since we are scanning coins, we don't need a huge 8 1/2 x 11 scanner.

OK, scanner experts, what recommendations do you have?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Comments

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Microtek 5600 that does an excellent job. You can find 'em on ebay for under $20.
  • lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Hello Rich...Although, I dont have much to compare it to...I like my HP Scan Jet 4370....I have it for about 6 months or so.
    Scanners rarely compare to good pix on a digital camera, but I think this scanner is relatively true to life. I believe it was
    for around $125 bucks.

Here's a few samples of coins scanned on my HP, just to give you an idea of quality:

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    lkrarecoins, that double eagle came out really good. What else did you do/use in order to process that scan?
    Hello Tom....actually, these scans were taken on the auto-setting at 600 resolution, So i didnt do anything special.

I like to use a black piece of velvet (bought at the arts and crafts store for $1) on top of the coins. Makes for a nice back drop & looks a lot nicer than my gold scan above.

Regards,
    Len
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Nice scans Lenimage
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I like scans better than pix for circulated coins, but for MS coins, scans just don't capture the luster element of a coin at all. Pix are necessary for that. I don't really have any recommendations for particular equipment as mine is standard issue and takes a while to complete a scan.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Image scanned with an epson perfection 2400 photo.......

AL

• seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Buy a cool pix 990 or 995 on Ebay for about a $150 and a photo dome from this guy at every major show I think coinoptics.com or something like that .

You will get the most amazing pictures ever. A scanner the coin come out looking off.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: Thanks to the board members who responded. We reviewed all of the scans and selected an HP G4010 scanner, which is a cousin to the HP 4370, but has a setting with a bit higher resolution, which we will use for die cracks, cuds, and the like. We called everywhere we could think of around here, but basically no one had anything good in stock. So we ordered it online at 7:50 pm on Monday with next day delivery. Sure enough, the next day at 10:30 am, the FedEx guy delivered it. We got it running immediately and it works very well. Kudos to HP for getting it here so quickly!

We do have a camera with a photo dome we will be using to take pics of the uncirculated and proof coins, especially for toners and cameos, as well as coins of significantly high value, but we will be scanning all of the less expensive coins.

Good luck with your new scanner, Rich...what type of photo dome do u use? can you make a recommendation? Thank you

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Update: Thanks to the board members who responded. We reviewed all of the scans and selected an HP G4010 scanner, which is a cousin to the HP 4370, but has a setting with a bit higher resolution, which we will use for die cracks, cuds, and the like. >>

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of results you get from it. I've considered one for a while, too.
  • AthenaAthena Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Update: Thanks to the board members who responded. We reviewed all of the scans and selected an HP G4010 scanner, which is a cousin to the HP 4370, but has a setting with a bit higher resolution, which we will use for die cracks, cuds, and the like. We called everywhere we could think of around here, but basically no one had anything good in stock. So we ordered it online at 7:50 pm on Monday with next day delivery. Sure enough, the next day at 10:30 am, the FedEx guy delivered it. We got it running immediately and it works very well. Kudos to HP for getting it here so quickly!

We do have a camera with a photo dome we will be using to take pics of the uncirculated and proof coins, especially for toners and cameos, as well as coins of significantly high value, but we will be scanning all of the less expensive coins. >>

Excellent choice. When will your website start? Must be very exciting!
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Excellent choice. When will your website start? Must be very exciting! >>

I'm expecting it to be up in test mode in March, and I will let the Forum members know, and I will have a cool giveaway as part of that process. I had a hard drive crash in Januaryimage, then the website designer had his hard drive crashimage, so at least we will be starting out with new hard drivesimage. But it has been exciting to work with the web designer (who IMO is very good) and design just we want to have on the website.

Of course, since the purpose of the website is to sell coins, I've been buying some really cool coins recently to have for sale when the website starts up. Keep an eye out for that news release on this Forum, and thank you, Athena, for allowing me this opportunity to shamelessly plug the website! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file