Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

maybe i'm just bitter...

...that the sets i'm collecting are buried in the registry request queue, but even if they were next in line, i'd still have issues with the priority list. i think psa needs to consider other criteria besides the date a set was first requested and the number of requests that have been made - especially since the latter factor is open to abuse.

specifically, psa should also consider the relative importance of a set, an admittedly subjective criteria, and the percentage of the cards in a given set that have already been graded. for instance, the '93 bowman baseball set is among the next sets to be included but only about 60 different cards from this 708-card set have been graded. i realize that there is an if-you-build-it-they-will-come spirit to the registry, but '93 bowman?!?

all kvetching aside, i have to say that the set registry is probably the coolest hobby innovation since the rise of the internet and card grading itself. and i certainly appreciate psa's and some of the board members' efforts at speeding up the pace at which new sets are added.
imageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    93 Bowman?

I double checked the list at PSA, surely this must be an error. Perhaps it is supposed to be the 1992 Bowman. At least that has value and some major rookies. The 1993 set, hopefully not wishing to offend anybody, is trash, other than a Jeter rookie that makes up half the value of the set.

I'm sorry that your sets are not being recognized priority wise. I am still trying to figure out how the Three Stooges set is high up on the mainstream list. Perhaps we all missed the boat on that one! It's bad enough I have to chase down Elvis cards for my wife, but the Stooges???
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!
  • Options
    David,

It's probably you that have managed to push the Stooges set to the forefront. I bet that you have a gem mint 10 set ready for inclusion on the registry. In addition, you probably have the entire free world's supply of Stooge's cards ready to sucker us into following your lead! Somehow, the bragging rights to having the "Finest Stooges set" just really have the penache of say, the finest 52 Topps set.

All posted in my humble opinion...LOL
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    hey, i'd much rather see who has the finest stooges set than who has the finest '82 donruss baseball set or '95 sp top prospects set.

and one more question i forgot to include in last night's rant: what distinguishes a mainstream set from a non-mainstream set? i noticed the '90-91 opc premier hockey set is on the non-mainstream list, but that set's about as mainstream as it gets for hockey. i don't collect it and don't even like it, but there are probably more cards graded in that set (including many, if not all of the commons) than there are from any other hockey set of the modern era. throw us puckheads a bone, psa!
  • Options
    Why does it take so long to add a set?
    ...building PSA 8 1956 Topps...I am always looking to buy
    My 1956 Topps Set
  • Options
    Get a checklist for the set and try typing in all the names and you'll know.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    yawie - perhaps the same thing that made a Philadelphia football set (the ONLY NFL set for that year) non-mainstream; that is, unfamiliarity with the set by PSA staffers. Actually, as I think about it, I'd like to see PSA include a number of the 1960s era Topps insert sets on the registry. While they're not necessarily mainstream sets, they are collectible and usually easily recognized. They also have the advantage of being small sets, making them much more likely to be collected in graded set form (and much easier to input). I just wouldn't want to be the corner grader on Deckle Edge. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Nick M-

The Deckle Edges are fabulous cards! Oversized, with amazing crystal-clear photography. I must admit, in the few examples I have seen, it is very hard to distinguish between a 7,8,9 and 10. I think you have to examine each little "bubble border" for wear -- with any bringing you down a notch. How annoying!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Happy New Year Yawie.
    I can understand your frustration with the waiting period on some of the very important mainstream sets. I myself have been patiently waiting for a few myself.
    In regards to the 93' Bowman; this request comes from my young daughter who represents, to me, everything that is good about this hobby. She is first and foremost a set builder, and this is far and away, her favorite set. Built pack by pack I am sure you can appreciate the warm feeling you get as you near completion of such a project.
    Being a chip off the old block she has caught the PSA Set Registry fever just from spending time with me. She is actually doing quite well accumulating PSA 9 and 10 examples of her favorite players in this set.
    Bottom line is it is HER favorite set. As important to her as our vintage sets are to us. She has waited patiently now for 4-5 months since her initial request.
    Having said all this I do not take offense with your comments. The nice thing about the way the Registry is progressing is there will someday be a place for all who want it. Good Luck in your future efforts.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    it's great that you've instilled in your daughter a passion for collecting and set building, ray. i hope i one day have that opportunity myself (with my own kids, of course, not yours).

but it still rankles me to see the '93 bowman set so high on the list. it's not because it's a modern set - most of my own collection is modern stuff - but because only about 10 percent of the cards in the set have been graded thus far and because most of the other 90 percent will probably never be graded. the registry should give people a chance to showcase graded sets or sets with that possibility before giving collectors the chance to showcase a few key cards from a relatively insignificant set that will likely never be completed in graded from. nonetheless, i wish your daughter the best and hope that her dad is wealthy and/or crazy enough to let her submit '93 bowman stan belindas and kurt stillwells.

and, nick, i'm not a football collector but i was thinking the same thing about the philadelphia football sets.
  • Options
    Thanks for your understanding. As far as wealthly I am not' but if she wants to chip away at the Belinda's and the Stillwells to add to her set I will help her pick out viable candidates for PSA 9.
    I do agree that some of these other main stream sets should have received recognition by now, however chronological priority is part of PSA's equation for set entry and she is ready to go.
    Someday, I am sure she hopes (dreams) that this 93' Bowman will be a substantial set.And so it goes....
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    imageI agree with your statement. I am still try to figure out how the 1990/91 O-Pee-Chee Premier Hockey gets put on the not mainstream list. Can some one help me with this?
    Working on 1990-91 O-Pee-Chee Premier PSA 10 set, 1955 Bowman PSA set, 1963 Fleer PSA set.
  • Options
    i'm sure you've probably noticed this, 55B, but a bunch of psa 10 '90-91 opc premier cards were listed on ebay yesterday. i didn't check to see if there were reserves but the opening bids were pretty low: under $10 for relatively common psa 10 stars and about $12 or $15 for relatively uncommon psa 10 commons.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Hey there 55bowman:

I'm curious -- who are you? I would love to hear more about your 1955 Bowman set. Private message me or e-mail me. Perhaps we could even do a trade sometime.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    RAYB. Very good point! We all have different wants and needs while putting together our collections. Our age and financial position have a lot to do with it as well. I would think eventually every card that has been graded should have access to a Registry, even if you just collect stars, Hall Of Famers or a specific team...jay