Home Metal Detecting
Options

What else do I need to get started?

Ok, so if I pick up a Garrett ACE 250 with larger coil (do I get to keep the smaller coil as well?), what else will I need? This is what I am guessing so far...

1) Extra AA batteries, but how many? Do you use rechargeable?
2) A digging tool, is a hori-hori knife like the one being given away by Mr. CROCKofCOINS the best thing to use or would a simple gardening tool work?
3) A pair of gloves to keep you hands clean so I don't go getting dirt all over my new detector.
4) Towels, one big enough to lay the detector down on especially if the ground is damp, others for whatever.
5) A trash bag for those finds that are, well, trash.
6) A bag of some kind to carry everything in.

Am I right on this stuff? Also, what do you put your finds in while out on the hunt? Ziplock backs? Cloth bags? And how about cleaning the stuff up. What items will I need for that? It seems that some people soak the coins in olive oil, what then? And do you soak relics in olive oil as well?

If you can think of anything else that I didn't mention, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

Rob

I believe I'm going to hit the little league baseball fields this spring.
4/92
4/123
-----------
Invested $216.76
Return on Investment $0.68
Found but keeping $.15

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1) Extra AA batteries, but how many? Do you use rechargeable? >>

I don't know about the Ace 250, but every Garrett I have ever owned ran off eight AA batteries. And generally I get between 25 and 35 hours from a set, so if you buy a big pack of batteries, you're set for a while. Rechargeables? No, I don't use them, but I am thinking about it, since I just found a set of batteries (now all I need is a charger).

<< <i>2) A digging tool, is a hori-hori knife like the one being given away by Mr. CROCKofCOINS the best thing to use or would a simple gardening tool work? >>

A hori-hori or similar tool made for cutting sod is necessary. Simple gardening tools will NOT do. They are made for loose soil and bend easily. The metal will become fatigued and you'll snap it within two weeks or so, if not sooner. Mark my words. (Unless you are only hunting on the beach- then you might get away with it.)

<< <i>3) A pair of gloves to keep you hands clean so I don't go getting dirt all over my new detector. >>

Get a good pair of work gloves. They're cheap. I only wear a glove on my right hand (my digging hand), but I wouldn't do without that. It has nothing to do with keeping the detector clean. I let the detector get filthy. It's all about protecting your hand. There is a lot of broken glass and even nastier stuff (like razor blades) out there in the ground. That is why you want a good tough glove on your digging hand- not some lightweight cotton job.

<< <i>4) Towels, one big enough to lay the detector down on especially if the ground is damp, others for whatever. >>

Nice, but not necessary. You won't need to baby your machine that much. By all means, do so if you want to, but it's made to get dirty. A towel is nice to put loose dirt on, however, which you can then dump back into a hole before replacing a plug- it leaves the grass clean and if done properly, nobody will even see your plug after it is replaced.

<< <i>5) A trash bag for those finds that are, well, trash. >>

If you are hunting somewhere where you expect to find a whole BAG of trash, I recommend you find another site. If you want, you can get a fanny pack or a carpenter's nail apron for trash. Or use your left pocket like I do, putting the good stuff in another pocket.

<< <i>6) A bag of some kind to carry everything in. >>

Better yet, get yourself some coveralls or a lightweight photographer's vest with lots of pockets. Or cargo jeans with tool pockets. Obviously, the pocket you're gonna put your goodies in should have a button, zipper, velcro, or some other closure. I usually carry something like an empty Altoids tin to put small goodies in, and that goes into a zippered pocket. One day I found a number of old coins and then re-lost them, and had to retrace my steps over the site to re-find them again!

<< <i>If you can think of anything else that I didn't mention, please let me know. Thanks for the help. >>

A pinpointer probe. A headlamp if you plan to night hunt. Insect repellent. A canteen if you want. You'll figure it out as you go along.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The 250 is 4 AA batteries. Mine have lasted forever... a few different outings with the new one... and only 1 notch has dissapeared.
  • Options

<< <i>A hori-hori or similar tool made for cutting sod is necessary. Simple gardening tools will NOT do. >>

So would a garden center carry a hori-hori or similar tool or is this going to be a specialty tool I need to purchase at the time of my detector?

<< <i>A pinpointer probe. >>

Did a quick search on these and they appear to be a small handheld MD. Is there a certain brand I should look for and what price should I expect to pay for these. I'm guessing I'll have to pick this up at the MD store.

Thanks for the response, VTH III, and everything else you contribute to this board.

Rob
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only four batteries, huh? Cool. No wonder those little things are so lightweight. I might have to get one as my backup machine. I still think I want another Shadow X2, though.

For such an inexpensive, lightweight, four-battery machine, those things pack a pretty good wallop.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    You have a good list going into this.
    >>#2--would a simple gardening tool work?<<
    Yes, it will work...BUT most gardening tools will bend after a little use. :-(

>>3) A pair of gloves<<
    For protction from SHARPS more than dirt. Lots of glass and rusty nails and the like.

>>4) Towels, one big enough to lay the detector down on <<
    The towel is to put dug dirt onto. Then just pour dirt back into hole. Some use plasticrubber mat. I use an old Frisbee.

>>5) A trash bag <<
    Home Depot has a nail apron for around $1.00 Like this:http://www.extra-mile.com/useful/nailapron.htm
    A Better one can be had.

>>6) A bag of some kind to carry everything in.<<
    LOL..I use a baseball bat bag like this: http://www.aluminumbats.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=347

7) Some people like knee pads.

8) Sand scoop for beach and tot lot sand box

9) I use a small hand rake with long handle for wood chip tot lots: http://store.emerysgarden.com/tbtele.html

10) Look into getting a pin pointer: http://metaldetectorreviews.net/pinpointers.htm

I use rechargeable batteries (AA - 8 at a time)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Re: 10) Look into getting a pin pointer

If you want to save some money, you can try building your own pinpointing probe following the directions on the Tom's Treasures site (http://www.tomstreasures.com/probe.html)

http://www.tomstreasures.com/probe.html

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>If you want to save some money, you can try building your own pinpointing probe following the directions

Jerry >>

Awesome. Saving money is cool, building your own, a little cooler, having it actually work, even more cool, wasting your money and time because you can't get the stupid flippin' thing to work, cool when you watch the thing melt in a fire.

Rob

I believe I'm going to build my own.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Options
    You can usually find a hori-hori knife on ebay, at least thats where I got mine. You also may want to check out the lesche digging tool. I have both and kind of like the lesche tool the best.
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I carry a cheap backpack with me. Its perfect with 1 main compartment and 2 smaller pouches. The main compartment is good for carrying tools, hat, gloves, change of clothes or whatever. I put trash in 1 side pouch and good finds and extra batteries in the other side pouch.

A towel is unecessary and as long as its relatively warm and I'm not digging a rock pile I don't use gloves either. I need to get a pinpointer and better digging tools though.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    My comments have probably already been covered, but here are my thoughts as well

>>1) Extra AA batteries, but how many? Do you use rechargeable?

In my case the detector can get banged around a bit during travel to the sites and sometimes has switched itself on accidentally (in these cases it goes into overload, but that doesn't appear to have harmed it.. yet), so I always keep one fresh set of batteries with me in unopened packaging (so it doesn't matter if the packaging gets a bit damp)

>>2) A digging tool, is a hori-hori knife like the one being given away by Mr. CROCKofCOINS the best thing to use or would a simple gardening tool work?

The gardening tool will work, but it'll probably break soon enough.. You'll need something that cuts roots too (either something with a good edge for that, or a separate tool)

>>3) A pair of gloves to keep you hands clean so I don't go getting dirt all over my new detector.

Definitely a glove for your digging hand. I use a glove of very thick pig leather. All sorts of stuff in the ground; broken glass, razor blades, needles, etc... Poking around with a bare hand is NOT a good idea

>>4) Towels, one big enough to lay the detector down on especially if the ground is damp, others for whatever.

Betting man Zot would say that you won't keep doing this for very long image
    In pouring rain it's a good idea to have a "raincoat" for the non-waterproof parts, but damp ground is not a problem

>>5) A trash bag for those finds that are, well, trash.
    >>6) A bag of some kind to carry everything in.

Yes.

I also recommend getting a pinpointer, as well as good water-resistant boots and weatherproof clothing overall.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Get some headphones. Maybe a beltpouch or aprin for finds.
  • Options

<< <i>Get some headphones. Maybe a beltpouch or aprin for finds. >>

If you get headphones, I'd make sure they have adjustable volume.
    The 250 has no volume adjustment and will ring your head of with standard headphones.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Patience and determination. The former is most important by the way.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I like to travel light for the typical detecting I do, which are: Lots where old houses/buildings once stood. Demo sites. Tot lots, and whatever else comes down the pike. The 250 is a great detector in more ways that one ... One + for me is I leave it in my truck all of the time and I'm not all that worried about the possibility of it getting snatched as I would be with a high end one. Consequently, I detect on impulse alot while driving around, and have had good success with unplanned outings.

To specifically get to your questions,
    1] Rechargeable, by all means. I like the Duracell 2300 mah's, they hold a great charge and charge quick. I usually keep 4 regular duracells in the truck, for those few times that I get caught with a drained charge, then I just simply put in the other batteries, recharge the other ones that night, and switch back the next day. Those 4 and my rechargables kept me going all summer long.

2] I'm weird, I am the only one that I know of that uses a 5 in 1 painting tool as my primary digger. These things cut plugs like you would not believe, and in soft to medium ground you can dig a hole 6 inches with them in no time flat - And 6 inches is about the effective depth for a coin sized object with this machine. Just be careful you don't scratch up the target, whatever you use ... And if you do try a 5 in 1, don't get tempted to try one of the dollar store models, they snap in even soft soil. A good $8 Stanley or Craftsman at Home Depot will last years of hard digging.

3] Gloves, by all means yes - And no so much to protect the tector as the hands, there are all sorts of nasties undergound.
    I strongly prefer the mechanic style gloves, which don't get your hands too hot, have great tactile feel and offer strong protection.
    Once again, if you use the cheapies they will not last very long.

4] Have personally never taken a towel with me

5] HAve never done that either. I usually wear those cargo pants with pockets galoee, including ones in the legs, which suffice nicely for storing junk until it can be disposed of properly.

6] Use pockets for that also, with the exception of the beach. I looped a little leather sack around the neck of the 250, and it works great for those times when no pockets are available, like at the beach.

Anything else - Handheld pinpointer you'll need, in fact you will not want to detect without one once you start using them. They not only save time and frustration, but can save you from messing up your target. Hate to link to another tecting site, I'll tinyurl it http://tinyurl.com/yrfyza I did this review last year of the two I have owned and could recommend them both, especially the 2nd one if you can find it.

One other thing I am going to try this year is carry around a big old frisbee with me. Thats right, a frisbee. Nice place to put the dirt from the hole on, especially if you are in an area you don't want to leave looking trashed.

JJ
  • Options
    I don't know if you have them available for your state but in Missouri I found a Department of Natural Resources (or some similar sounding books of maps) for the state. It is divided into two editions, northern and souther counties. Each county has its own large magazine-sized page of the county. The maps of each county show all the details of current landmarks: schools, buildings, houses, water towers, fire houses, police stations, ball parks, golf courses, churches, race tracks, state forests, mills, cemeteries, colleges....you name it if it is a specialized building type or structure it is here to be found. It is very cool and helpful when finding old areas that I ususally search.

I bought a heavy duty 'spade' (can't remember the exact name) from Kellyco when I bought my detector years ago...can't even tell it's been used but it'll go through anything and pry out any sized rock you have the muscle to move. I like cutting a huge plug that is almost impossible to damage good finds. My plugs are almost as big as my coil, lol; it's like a little hatch that you stomp back in and can't tell you dug there after a day or so.

I use a rechargeable battery pack. I have gotten two or three since I bought my detector. A recharge and it is good for a day's worth of detecting...six good hours, maybe more.

I've been lucky so far I guess. I don't use gloves but that may help me lose the need for something I ususally bring, when I remember. I use the wet wipe packages that are alcohol based to clean your hands with. I guess without gloves this is a necessity for me to try to keep the car clean.

Frisbee is a good idea, don't know how I'd like carrying it around though. Where I usually go they wouldn't normally be necessary.

Like it was mentioned, as you go further along you'll know what you like using. Good Luck!!!
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters