Home U.S. Coin Forum

why i'll pay $150 for a 2004-p peace nickel

i picked up a pcgs-65 2004-p peace nickel from e-bay to plug a hole in my set a while back. 66's go for $100-$150. and this was maybe $18. with postage. rather than buy a 66, i bought a 17 roll lot of obw's last week (also on e-bay) for $145. i figured out of 680 coins, i should find a few 66's, 1 for my set and a couple to sell and/or pay for submission costs. out of the lot, i found 3 66's and about 22 65's. depending on the grader's mood the day of receiving my coins, maybe i'll get 1-66 and 8-10 65's( which are only worth the slabbing costs of $14. each). that's assuming i get a 66 out of the deal. this same scenario can apply to most of the d-mint jeff's from 1987 to present, btw.

costs =
$145. rolls
$380. submission costs and shipping

$525. total

should i have just bought a pcgs-66 2004-p peace jeff 5c for $150 ?

Comments

• You have to subtract out the face value of the coins. But then you have to factor your time. The 04-P Peace in MS66 is a tough coin. I made probably half of the population and I went through a BUNCH of coins. Good luck
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    should i have just bought a pcgs-66 2004-p peace jeff 5c for $150 ?

Better yet, you should get yourself a real job and stop messing with this nonsense. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Obviously, anyone can do anything they want, but if you're asking for OUR opinions, here's mine:

Be Happy with the PCGS-65 you've already got for $18, and spent all the rest of your money on something else? Why chase the 66 at all?

Rex
  • All that screwing around for one point on a plastic holder, that on any given day could be graded 2 points differently ? I guess if you enjoy the 'game' more power to you, but I would think there are much more rewarding ways to collect coins.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    cut your submission costs

only send in the 3 you think are 66 - don't send anymore than 5 because if you get any 64's or lower you lose big time
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send in 100 for bulk grading. It only makes sense to spend more and get less when it comes to these nickels.

Joe
  • actually, the 65's are losers as well, i wouldn't really send them in. it's true about the time searching through the rolls, what a pita. but, like andy said, i don't have a real job, so time is cheap image. it's not so much "the game", it's building and completing a collection, and i've been putting together my full step nickel set for about 30 years. never took it real seriously, but it was always there. what i have now is pretty damn rewarding. i'd like to hear of other rewarding ways to collect that are better than this. i don't buy coins that can vary two points of the holder, do you? i'd like to have all the 87 to present dates in 66fs or better to get past the junk factor in the lesser grades.
  • If you found 3 out of 680 thats at least one 66 for each 230 minted. My guess is that with billions minted the population of 66s will increase greatly as time goes by and you should find one for a lot less than 150.

Why would you want a graded one anyway. Just pick a nice one from the roll and forget all the wasted grading fees. Or keep the 65 until the 66s are under 50 bucks
  • we all know that jefferson nickels aren't worth crap outside of a holder. i'm creating wealth!
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    larrynj....Sounds like the first thing you need to do is search the rolls and see if there are any MS66 or MS67 peace nickels in the rolls. If not then your questions are mute.image

<< <i> it's building and completing a collection, and i've been putting together my full step nickel set for about 30 years. >>

Sounds like a have a good grading eye for nickels.

You are right Larry... it's the chase and the search for the best that still intriques me the most. Aside from trying to find the BEST coins, it's even harder as I age (my eyes) finding anomalies which is what I enjoy most when looking at coins in bulk.
    ~tis a great hobby~
    When it comes to submitting them, it's a tough job, even part time.
    It's about deciding WHICH coins are most deserving of the slab and will they meet the grade I've assigned ?
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey larrynj.....Maybe you'll find a MS68 or M69 in the rolls. Then the naysayer board members can have an all you can eat crow buffet.image
  • i already searched the rolls, and found only 3 possible 66's and 22 65's. most of them borderline for the grade imo.definitely not a 67 among them.

• << <i>You are right Larry... it's the chase and the search for the best that still intriques me the most. Aside from trying to find the BEST coins, it's even harder as I age (my eyes) finding anomalies which is what I enjoy most when looking at coins in bulk.
    ~tis a great hobby~
    When it comes to submitting them, it's a tough job, even part time.
    It's about deciding WHICH coins are most deserving of the slab and will they meet the grade I've assigned ? >>

2 sides, i guess that collecting something like gold dollars wouldn't be very rewarding for you or your eyes. they're so small, i can't see why anyone would have an interest in them. seems almost like miniature doll house furniture or something. image

<< <i>2 sides, i guess that collecting something like gold dollars wouldn't be very rewarding for you or your eyes. they're so small, i can't see why anyone would have an interest in them. seems almost like miniature doll house furniture or something. image >>

On the contrary, I went through about 2000 bison nickels to submit ONE. The best I could find graded MS64 at PCGS. I know the best thing I could do is search on ebay for an MS66 and pay the difference, rather than to go through the other six thousand I have in rolls image.
  • eggzackly.
  • Guess maybe I hit a nerve, sorry if I offended. I in no way meant to imply that Jefferson nickels were not worth collecting. I was trying to convey my utter amazement that someone would go through that kind of hassle for one point on a holder.
    And no, I don't normally buy/slab coins that I think would grade two grades lower, but than again, I'm not a PCGS grader, and have seen some of the results of member submissions (as well as my own) that make you go hmmmmm sometimes. Since, after all, a grade from PCGS is just their opinion on any given day, and opinions change. But if it means perfection to you, by all means enjoy !!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guess maybe I hit a nerve, sorry if I offended. I in no way meant to imply that Jefferson nickels were not worth collecting. I was trying to convey my utter amazement that someone would go through that kind of hassle for one point on a holder.
    And no, I don't normally buy/slab coins that I think would grade two grades lower, but than again, I'm not a PCGS grader, and have seen some of the results of member submissions (as well as my own) that make you go hmmmmm sometimes. Since, after all, a grade from PCGS is just their opinion on any given day, and opinions change. But if it means perfection to you, by all means enjoy !! >>

I've been doing this since long before there were any holders or any grading
    services. Some of these coins over the years have been very tough to find even
    a decent coin. Even chasing them down systematically won't yield a really nice
    example many times. You can usually do better with mint sets but these are no
    cureall since some coins don't appear in mint sets and this includes almost all the
    varieties.

The peace medal nickel, especially the P mint, is shaping up to be one of the tough
    ones for the really high grades though nice choice coins are merely elusive. Yes,
    there were millions set aside but there are ging to be a lot of people updating col-
    lections over the years and this massive hoard will appear much smaller if very many
    seek out nice choice examples.

It's probably true for most of the moderns (not ultramoderns) that it's cheaper to
    buy the high grades than find them yourself if you figure the time involved. I doubt
    many people would do this for profit anyway. Most people are simply trying to put
    together as nice a looking set as possible.
    Tempus fugit.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry if you happen to get really lucky and make a couple of 67's keep me in mind.image
  • that would mean most of my 22 65's would be 66's. i ain't that lucky.

• << <i>i picked up a pcgs-65 2004-p peace nickel from e-bay to plug a hole in my set a while back. 66's go for $100-$150. and this was maybe $18. with postage. rather than buy a 66, i bought a 17 roll lot of obw's last week (also on e-bay) for $145. i figured out of 680 coins, i should find a few 66's, 1 for my set and a couple to sell and/or pay for submission costs. out of the lot, i found 3 66's and about 22 65's. depending on the grader's mood the day of receiving my coins, maybe i'll get 1-66 and 8-10 65's( which are only worth the slabbing costs of $14. each). that's assuming i get a 66 out of the deal. this same scenario can apply to most of the d-mint jeff's from 1987 to present, btw.

costs =
    $145. rolls

$525. total

should i have just bought a pcgs-66 2004-p peace jeff 5c for $150 ? >>

Have you ever heard the saying "Your doing a lot of chopping but no chips are flying?" lol image

AL

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i picked up a pcgs-65 2004-p peace nickel from e-bay to plug a hole in my set a while back. 66's go for $100-$150. and this was maybe $18. with postage. rather than buy a 66, i bought a 17 roll lot of obw's last week (also on e-bay) for $145. i figured out of 680 coins, i should find a few 66's, 1 for my set and a couple to sell and/or pay for submission costs. out of the lot, i found 3 66's and about 22 65's. depending on the grader's mood the day of receiving my coins, maybe i'll get 1-66 and 8-10 65's( which are only worth the slabbing costs of $14. each). that's assuming i get a 66 out of the deal. this same scenario can apply to most of the d-mint jeff's from 1987 to present, btw.

costs =
    $145. rolls

$525. total

should i have just bought a pcgs-66 2004-p peace jeff 5c for $150 ? >>

Hey, whatever trips your trigger, have at it! image

Try buying 50 mint sets from the US mint and see what you come up with. At least, you'll have the Peace of mind that your prospects didn't go through some tumbler coin rolling machine. image

I ended up with several MS66s and possibly 3 or 4 MS67s P dates but the D's were terrible. I recently had one certified MS66FS and IMO, they got it wrong. The reason is that the only mark on my coin is actually a die crack that runs along Jefferson's jawline. Can anybody tell me what date I'm talking here? I paid $750 for 50 mint sets for that year and I believe I did quite well.
    Let me say, the odds are astronomical if you're thinking you're going to find something of superb quality from such a small sample of mint state coins. You need a thousand set of eyes out there looking for that cream of the crop, so to speak. Many of those coins I have from 1987 and up won't grade higher then MS66 but many of them do have superb eye appeal and for what I paid and built the old fashion way... image ....I'm very happy with what I've accomplished so far!
    But anyway, take a look at my later dates in my profile, it can be seen that I have more than one coin pictured for some dates. Recently, I've located an interestingly toned 1990-P that's not pictured yet. But it grades out to be a MS64 due to a somewhat hidden mark on the cheek and it's a dosy. But the strike and the eye appeal makes that mark less distracting.
    I've always been amazed at how fast everyone else manages to fill those later dates when it has taken me years to find some of those dates. I haven't even begun to look for those dates 2004 and on. Not that I haven't noticed but the strikes of those later dates haven't really appealed to me as something I want in my set. I don't believe the best nickels for those dates have surfaced much, that the search is still in the infant stages, at least from what I've seen hasn't impressed me. But then again, due to the new designs, perhaps all those coins will have that flat looking strike (oh please God, say it ain't so). Am I missing something here?

Oh well, happy hunting!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Everyone needs to remember this is a HOBBY. Yes, for some it is a business, but for most of us it is our hobby and part of the fun is the journey to the end. It is not always about the "bottom line". Yes, making a couple of dollars is nice, but finding THE coin is far more satisfying than writing a bigger number in your checkbook.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    So should I carck open my 3 sets of (p) mint rolls and look?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM I would not even know what to look for. image
  • you're looking for a coin that's free of bagmarks and abrasions in the fields, and nothing but the smallest ticks on the devices, and these should be very minimal.. they all seem to be very lustrous and well struck, so that's not an issue. jefferson's jaw and the fingers of the hands on the reverse are baggy as hell. these are the central and highest points of the design and take a lot of hits. there's also a DDO which can be found on the date and mintmark. i haven't checked my rolls for any of these yet, although i did spot-check a coin here and there with no luck.

years back, before the services were designating full steps, i often bought and searched obw rolls, which carried absolutely no premium. much of my full step set consists of high quality fs pieces found this way. fully struck pieces are very rare on some issues, so unlike leo, i accepted the best i could find, and nailed a better coin if it came along. some have never come along. as already stated by others here, it's a hobby and finding a few great coins is very satisfying.
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    So are you still looking to pay $150 for a pcgs 2004 p peace nickel?

I know where you can get one.

<< <i>you're looking for a coin that's free of bagmarks and abrasions in the fields, and nothing but the smallest ticks on the devices, and these should be very minimal.. they all seem to be very lustrous and well struck, so that's not an issue. jefferson's jaw and the fingers of the hands on the reverse are baggy as hell. these are the central and highest points of the design and take a lot of hits. there's also a DDO which can be found on the date and mintmark. i haven't checked my rolls for any of these yet, although i did spot-check a coin here and there with no luck.

years back, before the services were designating full steps, i often bought and searched obw rolls, which carried absolutely no premium. much of my full step set consists of high quality fs pieces found this way. fully struck pieces are very rare on some issues, so unlike leo, i accepted the best i could find, and nailed a better coin if it came along. some have never come along. as already stated by others here, it's a hobby and finding a few great coins is very satisfying. >>

There's a huge difference in quality for the uncirculated coins made for mint sets over those coins made for circulation. Not that there weren't any gems to be found in those earlier rolls but by todays standards and we were talking about a 2004 Peace nickel, you'll be better off searching mint sets for your high quality coins for your collection. image

Leo

• << <i>So are you still looking to pay $150 for a pcgs 2004 p peace nickel?

image >>

no thanks, i think i got one or more from the rolls i searched. needs to get slabbed of course.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭
    I chased the PCGS 67 P Peace on ebay in 04 when a lot were showing up, but when they got over $250 I backed down. My U.S. Mint Westward Journey Nickel set has some nice examples but don't know if I wan to destroy the set to get them graded.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

There's a huge difference in quality for the uncirculated coins made for mint sets over those coins made for circulation. Not that there weren't any gems to be found in those earlier rolls but by todays standards and we were talking about a 2004 Peace nickel, you'll be better off searching mint sets for your high quality coins for your collection. image

Leo >>

This is typical for many dates. A lot of the coins in the sets are garbage but usually
    this is where the best are found... ...right among the garbage.

Back in the '60's and '70's it was even more frustrating because when you finally
    found a nice circulation issue it would be late die state and/ or a terrible strike. Most
    of the mint set coins were all banged up but when you found a clean one it would be
    early die state and probably a nice strike.

These new fangled ultramodern collectors have it pretty easy. image

Well... ...maybe not so easy.
    Tempus fugit.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, everyone collects coins in their own way, sounds like you're enjoying searching and submitting 3 year old nickels in 65 and 66 as much as I'm enjoying searching for die varieties among 180+ year old quarters in grades like Good and VG, and we're spending about the same kind of money per coin net/net. More power to ya, buddy! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• The rolls are good because maybe you'll find an ms67, but of course you may not. And then finding an ms66 is only half the problem, getting pcgs to grade it ms66 is the other half. I had this same issue with 1965 nickels. I already had a ton of rolls and some coins that are likely better than most of the ms66 pop, but I'm still not sure pcgs will grade them ms66. I just spent the $100 to buy a pcgs ms66 that was on ebay as it looked very nice. I figured it was worth the $100 just not to have to deal with pcgs.

• << <i>

<< <i>So are you still looking to pay $150 for a pcgs 2004 p peace nickel?

image >>

no thanks, i think i got one or more from the rolls i searched. needs to get slabbed of course. >>

Why do they need to get slabbed?
    I think i know...............
    Because without the plastic they're only worth 5¢ each.

Ray
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was sending all my coins to ICG then I saw PCGS grading Stain Finish Nickels as MS, That is when I started Grading with PCGS now all my coins are PCGS. But I was looking at my nickels and I have a lot of them I found this one not PCGS but it is a MS-67 Business Strike. I have a lot of MS-66 and a hoard of MS-65 from 2004 to 2006.imageimageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    . Yes, making a couple of dollars is nice, but finding THE coin is far more satisfying than writing a bigger number in your checkbook.

very well said.

steve
    Good for you.
    For anyone interested is seeing how circulated and numismatic coins are produced, here's the link.

Leo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file