Home Stamps Forum
Options

My Graf Zeppelin plate blocks

I started a thread asking about grading of blocks and posted photos of my Zep plate blocks. We decided that I should open
another thread so that others might notice the blocks. The best is the $2.60, which is OG, nh, but the gum has creases (or
bends on two stamps). I cut the plate number off the scan of the $2.60, so the file was small enough to be uploaded here,
since there is a 50 kb limit per image. The flange (or whatever it is properly called) on the $2.60 is very much like the other two.
The flange on the $2.60 has almost no gum.

Oh, the tape on the $1.30 is on the guard, not the stamp.

Anyway here they are:

Comments

• Options

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Very nice! imageimageimage

KJ

• Options
    Yes!!!! I've never known anybody who didn't like the Graf Zepplin Issue.

Jerry
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff! image
    Wondo

• Options
    Thanks, guys. By the way, I am obviously a little bit prejudiced, but I think that the colors, particularly on the $2.60 are a little bit better in real life than shown on the scan. The blue is a tiny bit more vivid in real life. It isn't a big difference, but the stamps are really nice.

The other two, the 65 cents and the $1.30, are also original gum, but not quite as nice as the $2.60

By the way, I have had them for more than 20 years and the guy that I got them from bought them in the 1950s (I think), so he had them for 30 years. They have only changed hands once in the last 50 years.
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, do you...actually this is for everybody...like the baby zep? I was kind of glad NOT to see that when I first openned up this thread. I personally have never liked it. It just isn't "GRAF"

Jerry
  • Options
    Jerry, I agree that the baby Zep is definitely not part of this set.

I have a block of 4 with a plate number of the baby Zep, but did not post it for two reasons. One, it is not a Graf. Two, a block of four with a plate number is not a plate block.

No, I agree with you that this is a distinct set of three stamps, C13 to C15. C18 does not make it.

As far as liking the baby Zep, it is OK, but I do not think that it is anywhere near as attractive as the Graf Zeps.
  • Options
    Question for everyone. (I may also post this same question on the other thread that I started about grading blocks)

Obviously the newest, latest and greatest in stamps is expertizing and grading.

As I understand it, neither PSE nor PF (the Philatelic Foundation) will grade my Graf Zeps, since they are plate blocks and I surely will not break up these blocks so that single stamps can be graded.

Is there any point in getting them expertized, if they can't be graded? Why should I spend $1,000 or so to pay someone to say that yes the three blocks are real and have real original gum?

If I auctioned these, shouldn't the stamp auction house be able to say that the stamps are real and the gum is original and NH, or is that something special?

Do the expertizers evaluate the gum and say whether the $2.60 has a gum crease or a bend, or is that part of grading?

I really do know the answers to this. It just seems that the real advantage is to get nice stamps like these graded, but it appears that I can not do that.

As I said in the other thread, though I have had stamps for nearly 50 years (and had these and my other better stamps for 25 years), I just found out about expertizing, grading, etc., during the past month.

This is the first time in years that I have come back to my stamps, so I am a novice regarding these issues.

• Options
    If you get these expertised as blocks most likely either firm will note a gum crease but maybe not a very light gum bend. If you want to know how to check which it is by PSE's standards let me know or ask KJ. It's easy and won't harm the stamps in anyway. So if you get a cert on the $2.60 and a gum crease is called on the cert, it WILL
    hurt the value if and when you sell it, especially on such a high dollar item(except to someone who is inexperienced) Otherwise certs will probably help the value some, especially in confirming that they are never-hinged. Auction houses will say anything to sell your stuff but if it isn't described correctly that doesn't mean the buyer will not return the item(s)
    By the way a single C15 MNH is valued in the SMQ at $2,800 as a 95 and $5,700 as a 98. Probably more at auction.
  • Options
    OK, edueku or KJ, how does a virtual amatuer find out whether this is a crease or a bend by PSE standards?

By the way, I certainly appreciate you help.
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Very nice plate blocks. The flange is called selvedge.
  • Options
    OK I'm going to type out some of the PSE info under "Natural Gum Bends,Creases or Wrinkles" From page 59 of PSE's guide on grading with a little editing for length on my part.

"A gum bend is justthat, the paper and gum have troughlike bend, usually in a diagonal rather than verticle horizontal direction."(just as appears on your block) When the stamp is immersed in lighter or watermark fluid there will be no dark line along the length of the bend ,and there may or may not be a slight white flashing as the fluid dries more quickly along the bend. While collectors prefer stamps without gum bends, if they are minor the value will not be significantly affected.Pse calls gum bends only if there are two or more or one is at the borderline between a bend and a crease"
    "A gum crease will dip as a dark line in the fluid and will flash white as the fluid dries..." "If a gum crease dips dark and flashes (white) over a significant length PSE will call it and lower the stamps soundness grade."(if graded that is but even if it isn't graded it will probably be mentioned in the description on the cert )
    There is also info on gum wrinkles but I would say from your photo it is probably not a wrinkle on your block.
    You need a watermark tray or other flat bottom black colored tray(it's safer bet to get a watermark tray from a stanp dealer or online as some plastics will react to dissolve with lighter fluid, I know that sounds scary so buy a watermark tray designed for this purpose. They're generally cheap)Use stamp tongs to put the block in the tray with the design facing down. Add enough fluid to just saturate the stamp(lighter fluid is better than watermark fluid in my opinion and many experts have recommended it also it's perfectly safe) Leaving it in the tray, examine the areas where the bends or creases are and see if you see a "dark line" if there is one down the whole length of the bend then it is most likely a crease if not it is probably a bend(if you happen to notice any dark areas anywhere else on the stamp this may be an indication of tears, creases, creased corner perfs or separated perfs). If there is only a partial dark line then it might be still classified as a bend. Once again with the block still in the tray watch the area of the bends as the fluid evaporates. If you see the area turn white along the bend then it may be an indication of a crease or heavy bend and you will proably have already seen a significant dark line previous to the drying. If there is just a little or no white flashing this is indicative of a bend. If you see any other areas drying (turning whiter) such as on corner perfs this may be an indication of bent perfs or tiny tears that are very difficult to see when the stamp is dry. You should check the stamps at least two or three times to make sure you haven't missed anything. Leave the block in the tray until it dries, just to be safe I would leave the block out of any mount etc. for at least half an hour.
    Hope this helps. Any questions?
  • Options
    Thanks, edueku. My first reaction is that it is scary to keep messing with this block, though I realize that you know what you are doing and that the lighter fluid will not damage the gum.

As far as a watermark tray, all of the one that I see on Ebay or on-line look small - too small for a large PB, such as these. There are no dimensions given, but they lok big enough for only one or two stamps.

Do you know if anyone makes trays big enough to hold the Zep PBs?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice blocks -- nice centering as well!!

It would be a shame to break them up -- I suspect the number of Graf Zepp plate blocks existing like that could be in the single digits or at least low double digits. If PSE were to grade (or even encapsulate) blocks like these, this might keep such treasures from being broken up. On the cert, perhaps they could assign a grade to each stamp, like NGC assigns a grade to each individual coin in an NGC multi-holder.
  • Options
    Thanks, Connecticoin. That was exactly my thinking. It happens that on the $2.60, the stamps with the very best centering also have perfect gum. Ignoring the gum crease, I would imagine that the worst of the $2.60 stamps would be at least an 85. I am certainly not an expert, but the best stamps would perhaps grade at 95.

The stamps really are a more vivid color in real life than in my scan. They are just very pretty.

The 65 cent and $1.30 blocks aren't bad either.

If I could get this graded and even encapsulated, I gladly would - even if it cost $1,000 or more just for the one $2.60 block.
  • Options
    WHO KNOWS THEY MAY GRADE BLOCKS IN THE FUTURE I'm sure it will be more expensive though. If you can't find a tray big enough you might be able to lay one side(two stamps) in the tray and then check each side, just be careful. Really you mainly need to se the area with the bends/creases so if you can get that area to rest on the surface of the bottom of the tray in fluid you should be able to see details described in my previous post. Iff you are totally uncomfortable with this and trust someone else to be careful, you could go to a stamp shop or show in your are and ask an experienced person to check it for you. Anybody else have any ideas? By the way the fluid does not contain any water so it will harmlessly evaporate into the air. I usually smell mine to make sure there is no fluid left ,before putting back into a mount etc.
  • Options
    edueku, I will give it a try. Thanks
  • Options
    Here is my fourth (and last) block of Graf Zeps. It is only a four stamp block. Do you guys think that this should be broken up or kept. Also, if I broke it up and had it expertized, what is the lowest grade that I should ask for? If the stamps are lower than an 85, should I ask to not have them graded? How about 80?

The centering is not great, so even 80 might be tough, though the gum is good and the color is nice.

One more thing, the plate number for this block is the same as the plate block. Is there any premium in keeping them as a set.

I do not know if I am going to auction this stuff or not, but appreciate your help in understanding the stamp market today.

• Options
    fry, you're killing me! "It is only a four stamp block" These are really nice looking.

Jerry
  • Options
    Myself, I would only submit for authentication on the block of 4 and hope for a MNH designation. If there is any disturbance at all on the gum, they will not give a MNH status. IMO, I'm not sure the block of 4 would even go an "80". Your plate blocks are very nice, but I would sure have a hard time deciding whether to break them apart.

BTW, you have some nice zepps.
  • Options
    Jerry, I said only a PB of 4, since the plate block for this is six. I sort of assumed that meant that I had a block of 4, with a plate number tab.

Doug, thanks. I agree that for this block even getting 80s might be hard. From that you are probably right that leaving the block in tact probably makes sense.

It also looks neat with the other $2.60 Zep with the same plate number.
  • Options
    I wouldn't get any of these actually graded. But if you are going to break it up you could get regular certificates(i.e. "genuine unused, original gum, never hinged") for each stamp and leaving the one plate number on the stamp connected to it, that might add a little value to someone. I wouldn't get any grade lower than a 90 on any of the Zep issues if you want to get any significant value from an actual grade on the certificate(an 80 might hurt the value more than no grade). And by the way on the comment that extant blocks are in the one or two digits, I doubt that. These aren't especially rare stamps but they are VERY popular(a higher demand than supply) On the block of 4 you might get as low as a 75 on the ones with the very small bottom border.
  • Options
    fry, I should have emphasized the word "only" I was poking fun because I "only " have zero Graf Zeps. They sure are nice!

Jerry
  • Options
    Jerry, I assumed that you were kidding. I clarified anyway just on the tiny outside chance that you meant it. image
  • Options

<< <i>I wouldn't get any of these actually graded. But if you are going to break it up you could get regular certificates(i.e. "genuine unused, original gum, never hinged") for each stamp and leaving the one plate number on the stamp connected to it, that might add a little value to someone. I wouldn't get any grade lower than a 90 on any of the Zep issues if you want to get any significant value from an actual grade on the certificate(an 80 might hurt the value more than no grade). And by the way on the comment that extant blocks are in the one or two digits, I doubt that. These aren't especially rare stamps but they are VERY popular(a higher demand than supply) On the block of 4 you might get as low as a 75 on the ones with the very small bottom border. >>

I am guessing that the comment regarding quantity related to the fact that the $2.60 PB is really very nice looking. None of the stamps are poorly centered and a couple are really quite nice. While it does not show on the scan, the colors really are quite vivid in real life.

I have not yet had the chance to check out the gum with the watermark tray (since I do not have a tray as of yet), but that is really the only possible major flaw on any of the stamps.

In any event, there are probably not a whole lot of PBs with nicer looking $2.60 Zeps. Whether that is 10 or 20, obviously no one knows.

Anyway, that block will either be the highlight of my collection, or should get a pretty nice bid at auction. I still do not know which way that will go.
  • Options
    Actually the fact that htere is generous spacing between these on a sheet gives a good chance that there are other well centered plate blocks out there. Though I don't see how anyone could make a real educated guess as to how many still exist well centered. I think 10 to 20 is a little low. Your $2.60 is a well centered block but unfortunately the bends or whatever they turn out to be will probably bring the value down a bit. In my opinion you would probably get more for the $2.60 block of 4 by selling them as individual stamps. You can get an idea of what individual stamps or blocks sell for on ebay. Ebay is actually a pretty good place to sell stuff if described correctly and placed in the right category. Also you don't have to give an auction house a bid chunk of you realization. Ebay charges fees but they are generally lower than an auction house and you have complete control over the transaction which makes it faster too.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Yousers!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen