Home Metal Detecting
Options

February Wildcards

It's been ten days since I've been able to swing coil, and then I was only able to dig 4 targets from the frozen ground.
I was having withdrawals, so I went to an abandoned house that I've had permission to scrounge through for a couple years. I figured the place was going to be empty and that I may find a coin or two stuck under the kickboards. The place was full of junk. Nearly every room had a mound of junk buried with plaster from collapsed ceilings.
I poked around for about an hour and found.....
Magazines from the 50s and 60s

A couple buttons and coins. 1929 wheatie being the oldest.

Then I found these tucked away in the attic. I haven't gone through all of them yet, but the two I looked at had pat. dates of 1907 and 1893.

Thought I hit paydirt when I found a box of sports cards, but they are all NFL from 1990.

This is a relative of mine. The picture is from the 50s.

Silvered
a couple times. One piece of gold also.

No markings on this, but it looks neat.

About 100 pieces of costume jewelry and buckles.

Black onyx and polished raw amethyst I think.

A couple pocket knives. One old, one new.

and finally.. a four inch porcelain figurine

I barely scratched the surface in the house, and still have a dirt basement to MD.

Comments

• Options
    WOW...You hit pay dirt! ! !

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I will say that you really hit the big time. Great finds.
  • Options
    Some cool finds there Tim!

Sounds like a lot of searching ahead of you.
    Wouldn't be surprised if you find an arrowhead.
    Here in Ohio you would be amazed at how many homes have at least one arrowhead lying around.
    When I'm at a garage sale , I always ask if they have any.

Good luck!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm no insulator expert, but those may be your big "pay dirt"!
    (your 3rd pic down)

I've heard about some of those being worth bucks...

Looking on ebay, it appears that the colored ones are worth more?

Insulators
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Cool. Thanks guys.
    I'll line em up and take a picture in a day or two.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No markings on this, but it looks neat.

image >>

This appears to be an Egyptian Revival Art Deco piece, I believe. Note how the stones are cut to resemble scarab beetles.

I take it is a brooch, with a pinback?

The finding of Tutankhamen's tomb in 1922 kicked off a craze for all things Egyptian, and I would put this piece of jewelry in that time period (say, 1920s or so), at least in my uneducated wild guess. Of course it could be later (or maybe even earlier, since King Tut wasn't the first Egyptian craze, just the biggest.)

But I would say 1920s. A cool little piece.

PS- as others have mentioned, some old glass insulators are worth crazy money. But I would have no idea what's hot and what's not, in those.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Rob, you nailed it with the id on that scarab beetle pin. My mom had a bracelett that looked like it could have been a perfect match to tis pin that Tim found. Hers was made of ivory & gold, it was gorgeous! Now that I reminded of it's existance, I wonder what ever happened to it!!

Tim, you find the best stuff!!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    TheGuyTheGuy Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Cool, great finds there! image
    "Sometimes we don't know just what to do when adversity takes over." -- Cannonball Adderley
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last October I found a large collection of 1960's Beatle fan magazines and teen-age magazines in a shed in the California Sierra.
    I got permission from the owner to sell the magazines on Ebay and would sometimes get $10 apiece for them.
    The owner is a lady in her 50's now but was 13 when the Beatles arrived in the US and she was a big fan of them.

I also put a small collection of silver coins on this site as a "wildcard" find in October.
    She was never a coin collector and couldn't remember how she came to have the coins.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Updated picture of the insulators.
    Only 4 colors, blue, green, white and brown. The large one in the center goes for 30 to 40 $, and there are 4 of them. The rest are 3 to 20 each.
    There are 29 total with 16 unique.

Went back last night for another hour.
    This house belonged to my Great grandparents. They never left a will, so it's been kind of a free for all to live in. I did my time there while I was in college. As long as someone was paying taxes, nobody else seemed to care. The last group that lived there ran it down to the point that it is no longer livable, and will cost over 100 grand to bring it back.
    Didn't find a lot this round, but I had a good time looking through some of the old pictures.
    Got gold though.

and a medium sized clay marble.
    Watch out Tom. If you stop finding marbles I'll be blazing past you.........in another 30 or 40 years.image

My favorite find of the two day, two hour, hunt.
    A highschool picture of my mom. Taken in 1961. She didn't look much different when she died, nine years ago, at age 53.

I also have some old toys, in my van, that I have not taken pictures of yet.
  • Options

Nice collection of insulators Tim.
    I have one just like the aqua colored one left of the biggest at center.
    Found it mushroom hunting along an old abandoned railroad track.

Thanks for sharing!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool picture of your Mom. image

My Mom graduated in '62 and I have a picture of her as a young bride in '63. She's still living, in San Antonio. I'm tryin' to talk her into moving here.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.