Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Don Mattingly OPC Just Pulled

I'm new to OPC but after reading as much on this board as I could. I took the gamble and bought of BBCE a 84 box of the stuff. In my third pack i pulled this beauty. my scanner dowsn't do it justice A 9 for sure I'm hoping a shot at a ten. Please let me know your opinion and if this gtaded a 9 or 10 what this puppy would sell for. Look on the bay and didn't find one SMR say $35 in a 9 and 425 in a 10. How close is that. Also what service should i use to send this bad boy in.
Thanks
joe
88 Donruss - 1st All Time Finest Set
Don Sutton Basic Set - 3rd All Time

Looking for 88 Donruss PSA 9 or Higher
Looking for Sutton's PSA 7 or Higher

Comments

• Options
    For an OPC card, that is a beauty!! Congrats. If you pull any Nolan Ryans, private message me please! I pay cash.
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Options
    will do tdfits. I'm crossing my fingers on the Mattingly. Anyways here is A Henderson I pulled in pack number 4. I know the centering is not perfect but the question i have is about the fuzz on the sides of the cards is this the ruff cuts everyone talks about? How bad is it on this Henderson? Just trying to get a feal for the opc since I'm new to them. And everyone feel free to post your PSA 9's and 10's.
    thanks,
    joe

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i'm not much on OPC either but as stated, this one looks like a beauty. i think the rough edges are typical and acceptable by psa due to OPC. i may use the $13 service for the mattingly if you were looking for quick turnaround and flipping. otherwise, join the others that are waiting on nov and dec specials.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    OMG!!!
    As soon as I get over my shock I'll post it another Mattingly pull and its as good as the first.
    I'm feeling lucky tonight.

Also any Knowledge from the OPC guys out their would be most welcome.

Thanks,
    Joe

• Options
    While that Mattingly is definitely nice, look at the angle of the cut on the right side.
    I find it hard to believe that would pull a 10 with that angle of a cut (diamond cut).

Sorry, just my opinion.

I bought a couple boxes of 84 OPC as well and it is nearly impossible to pull a ten from PSA on those.

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    yeah Kaline fan I'm figuing on 9's but holding out for that slim chance at a 10. They are beautiful 9's though. Ok here they are. Ignore the red tint on the first card its the same as the first scan must have got a little light into the scanner. the second card looks better but seems to have a little rougher cut I swear it looks like chipping in the pic but its like fuzzy when you see it in person. Let me know what you fellow board members think.

Thanks,
    Joe

• Options
    Many of the OPC cards come with that FUZZY cut, rather than a straight cut as they were cut with wires
    in many cases, rather than blades. Someone once set airplane wire cable was used to cut them in the
    early days.

• Options
    Kalinefan is correct. They were cut with a stainless steel wire as oppossed to a steel blade. As the wire aged, it would become rough and give us those wonderfully disgusting saw blade-like cuts. Your Henderson is not that bad though. The right side of the card is definately OK under PSA rules, een though it looks as hairy as Oprah's legs before Gail shaves them. The left side might a bit too fuzzy, in regards to the ones that really seem to stick out. Do not trim them however, they will notice and reduce the grade even more OR worse, no grade it at all, considering it "doctored". Corners seem really nice on all of the cards though, so keep pulling these beauties.
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Options
    If you want to submit, I'd wait for the $5 special. I picked up my 9 for 9.99 + shipping on ebay....
  • Options
    Hate to shoot you down, but neither are 10s IMO. OPC 10s are rare. Both are diamond like metioned before. The diamond cut is an issue with OPC. I have noticed this often.
    I have done some submiting of OPC, and a 9 pops up about as frequently as 10s on the same Topps issues. I have had a OPC 10, a 1975. It had the fuzzy like your Mattinglys. So they will ten with fuzz, I had one and have seen others.
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Options
    I think I'm gonna wait for the $5 special. might slip on of those Matt's in early though. LOL Ok here is so far the stars I've pulled that I think would have a shot at a 9 or 10. I'm very happy with this box. not bad for like $30 some bucks. The Cox and the Ripken are like 8 or 9's but on the $5 special I'm might graded them for myself. I'm going to go over all the minor stars again didn't really look that close at them. Enjoy! image

Thanks,
    Joe

• Options
    Ok here is the last of the batch. I never looked at any of the commons.

Joe

• Options
    The Whitaker's are beauties.
    I have a PSA 10 1980 Bell, and it is fuzzy on the left side. So I do not think that the fuzz automatically disqualifies it from 10 grade.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    I agree with Salinas on that one. The Whitakers are nice. So is the Cox. Sorry to tell you, but the rest off them are all diamonded. If you do well on them at PSA, let me know, I have a whole bunch I won't send in because I was affraid of MC or OC
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Options
    Hi, did O-Pee-Chee make any factory sets?? I wonder how the card cut is in the Factory sets...if they made them.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine from 1984. I don't understand the OPCs, some can sell for more than Topps, then some for less, but more often less. Your cards look NICE though, I'd say that was a good investment! I see nothing lower than a 9 in that group.