Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1956 Topps Basic set is 100% complete with all PSA 7s and 8s

Hi Guys, I just got in the last PSA 6 upgrade that I needed to complete my 1956 Topps Basic set with all PSA 7s and 8s. My GPA is at 7.01 and I'm in 25th place on the PSA registry. I also have a 100% complete 1956 Topps Master set that I am still upgrading. It has two PSA 5s and 10 PSA 6s. All of the upgrades needed are team checklist variations. Many collectors and dealers have helped me with this set and I thank them all. However, one collector has helped me to always more forward and not give up the full PSA 7 quest while working with a limited budget. Many thanks go out to my buddy RayBShotz (Ray Boehm) for all of your support and wisdom. This is a beautifully colorful set and a real challenge for any vintage card collector. Even in a PSA 7 grade, trying to get cards that are nicely centered and not diamond cut is pretty hard. The hardest thing by far is getting cards that don't have rough cut or chipped edges. PSA doesn't downgrade for these problems even in a PSA 7 grade or even PSA 8. I believe that it's because 80% of the cards have some type of edge defect. I've tried to avoid or replace cards like these which have caused me to replace some cards 5 times or more (within the same grade) in an attempt to get a nicer looking one. It may not be possible to get all of them with reasonably nice edges but I have tried for almost 5 years to do so. My sets are on the PSA set registry under the name Neil B. Downey and Sons Collection. I have scans of all of the cards for your viewing pleasure. Neil

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is great, I have been semi-following you on this quest!!image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    image great job!
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Nicely done. Congrats!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Great job Neil!!

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Congrats, nicely done.
    1956 Topps, probably my favorite baseball set.

.image
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Great job Neil! Truly a beautiful set!

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    No question - the '56 set in NM is a treasure - congrats.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    That's great Neil...congratulations!!!!
  • Options
    Nice Job. One of my favorite sets.
  • Options
    Neil, congrats on finally finishing that great set!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Great job Neil!
    I love the 56 set and have already started the ground work for when I get my 57 set complete.

Congrats

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job! I have been checking in occasionally on your set from time to time over the past few years as I started this set myself when I first became a member, needless to say I bailed but the set remains one of my favorites, Congratulations on completing your goal. (And sticking with it)

Whats next???????
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    congrats on your accomplishment.
  • Options
    wow neil... very cool!
    and i share your passion & excitement in completing such a beautiful & historic set.
    congratulatons & now enjoy!
  • Options
    Neil

Great job and way to stay at it

DJJ
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    awesome, congrats. Nice scans too
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Neil,

That is great! 1956 Topps is my favorite set. image
    Wondo

• Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your kind words. This project was a great ride. I learned a lot about 50s cards and players along the way. It was a great time in baseball history and I really loved working on this beautiful set. I now find myself looking even futher back into baseball history and card collecting. I have spent a great deal of time of late looking at pre-war cards. Even turn of the century cards has had my eye for a while now. I loved the player content of the 1956 Topps set and even remember most of the players from my childhood. I am only 47 so needless to say, I have no childhood recall when it comes to pre-war or turn of the century cards and players. Just the knowledge that they played a different kind of baseball in the earlier years. I still have not decided which will be the next adventure to jump in on or even what my plans are to do with this 1956 Topps set now that it is complete for that matter. I'm still looking for that legacy set to work on and enjoy. Neil