Home Metal Detecting

First Outing with the Ace 250

I went over the yard today (house was only built in 1991) and found 40 cents I had missed with the old detector. I was digging some test holes to see how deep the 250 would pick up coins. It was finding a quarter at 5 and 6 inches on Coins mode just fine, but when I went up to 7 and 8 inches it wouldn't make a sound. I had to swing over the hole in All Metal mode, then switch to Coins mode and it would give a signal. Is there any way to find coins that deep with the Coins mode and not have to switch back and forth? I keep the sensitivity at 6 all the time. Any suggestions on how to get more depth?
I lust for silver.
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• That's about as much as you can expect I think.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Ok, just checking. The review of the 250 in W&ET said it found some silver dimes at 7 & 8". At least it goes deeper than my older White's.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • different soils will allow some targets to get even deeper. I found a toy cap gun at almost 14 inches. But I had the sensitivity at 100% and I had just gotten mine so I didn't know any better.
  • I'm sure that a silver coin at a depth of 7-8" would be giving me a better reading then brand new change I threw in the bottom of a hole anyway.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • I would use a silver quarter buried at 8" just to see
  • The older the coin, usually the deeper you will be able to detect..It has been in the ground longer and has had an opportunity to leach into the soil thus making a halo effect around the coin, hence a bigger target...
  • Does silver leach? I would expect that for copper coins.
  • I think silver causes a halo effect to some degree. I once found a silver Roosie at 2 1/2" with my old detector and the next 2 or 3 times my uncle when over that spot he would get a signal from the halo.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Copper does alot, silver does too, but not as much, gold hardly any, which is another contributer to why a lot more is not found...
  • Maybe "the force" is helping you find all of those coins you've been missing. image Glad to see that you've got a new detector. What accessories did you get? Sorry about the AIM thing. I don't think that I saw you on the other day so I was probably gone when you tried to talk to me. I think sometimes there's a delay between the time someone signs off and the time the name actually disappears, plus I've been having some big time computer trouble so that may have had something to do with it. It sure wasn't detecting weather up here today, we had a lot of ice in the trees this morning. It started out as snow last night and that was fun to watch for awhile, but the freezing rain turned it all to slush. image
    Always on the lookout for a silver opportunity.
    imageimage
  • Wow, I started a war of words over the Ace 250 over on Treasurenet with my post!

Link
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage