Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

52 topps or 56 topps ? which to collect?

which of these years would be better to start collecting? I know the Mantle rookie was in the '52 but the '56 topps just looks like BASEBALL to me!
Wayne Mills

Comments

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    There's no Mantle rookie in the 1952 set. The 1951 Bowman set has the Mantle rookie. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    let's start with several questions....

1. what is your annual budget for cards?
    2. over what period of time do you plan on building the set?
    3. how important is investment value to you i.e. do you intend to sell your collection at some point?
    4. are you going to build a raw set or graded set?
    5. what is your goal in terms of overall grade, if any?

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    I realize the 51 Bowman is the TRUE rookie Mantle, but you would have a hard times selling this fact to the hundreds that post a '52 Topps Mantle as MANTLE ROOKIE CARD on e-bay. I have both ,but I have to admit when I look at the '52 Topps I see the accepted rookie card by most collectors. thanks,

wayne
    Wayne Mills
  • Options
    I'll answer your questions as to the 52 and 56 topps set collecting as follows;
    1. Will spend enough to collect a set that is worthy to pass down to my grandson. I have a Mantle '52 psa 4 topps, a gai 3.5 52 mantle so I will spend what is needed.
    2. maybe a year or less
    3. IMPORTANT, BUT NOT REAL IMPORTANT
    4. A GRADED SET, OR NICE CARDS THAT i COULD SUBMIT FOR GRADING
    5. PSA 3 AND UP
    6. I guess tihe most important thing is the look of the card and how I feel when I look at them. Seems some of the '52 Topps, as also is the case in the '51 and '52 Bowman, they seem like drawings. So i don't get that feeling when I look at them. The '56 Topps just seems to have that look as real players. Maybe I just answered my own question. Thanks

wayne
    Wayne Mills
  • Options
    sounds to me like you made up your mind already. Since you have a realistic goal of 3 or better and you already have the most expensive card in the 52 set, you could achieve your goal with either set. The 56 set is smaller and considerably less expensive; you like the aesthetics better and you don't like the "look" of the 52 set. Case closed. I love the 56 set as well, lots of great HOFers and reasonably priced. You don't have the Mathews and Pafko problem either!!
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Thanks for your help. I guess the sets that I really dislike the look of the cards are the "51 and "52 Bowman. Just drawings to me. The '52 topps I do like as well as the '56 Topps. When i decide which to collect, maybe it would be better to purchase a "starter" set to quicken the collecting process. thanks,

wayne
    Wayne Mills
  • Options
    you may find some 56 sets, or partial sets listed from time to time on the major auctions. I'm sure you'll find lots of cards on ebay as well. good luck!
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    Thanks. I guess the fun part is THE COLLECTING part. Think l'll do the 56 topps and take my time putting it together.. Thanks for you input.

wayne
    Wayne Mills
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Collect what you enjoy, that sounds like the '56 set. The '52 set is MUCH tougher, but cost-wise you've already got the '52 Mantle, so it's not impossible for you to complete that set - however, to do it quickly wouldn't be all that easy.

Go for the '56 and enjoy yourself! Still, to an advanced collector base (for future resale value) the '52 set would garner more respect - it's just that '56s are probably the most commonly encountered Topps card of the '50s. As far as aesthetics, to me, the most appealing set is the '55 Topps. Shame there wasn't a Mantle in it!

Perhaps after completing the '56s, do a '52 set. image
  • Options
    sounds good. thanks for your help. would you try and get all the same grade or just collect the cards and worry about grading later?
    Wayne Mills
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started the 56 set several months ago. I was going to start at a PSA5, but I found that not many of the commons come up in PSA5. So I started collecting PSA 6 and above. I already had 2 Mantles, which got graded as a 4 and 5. I currently have the 4 on Ebay, which ends tonight.

I have bought some PSA 7s, but most have been 6s. Once I have the 6s, then I will look for a higher grade of each card and sell the lower grade.

Good luck and ENJOY!
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    coastrebx2, you could go for a very strict grading range (such as all VG-EX PSA4) but, more important to me for a collection would be relatively consistent centering. With that in mind, a set from VG to VG-EX to EX would look super-sweet!

Best of luck with your pursuit. image
  • Options
    I have approximately 100 ea. 56 Topps cards (I am the original owner) that I would be willing to sell. Write to me at tcarlson6322@msn.com if you are interested. Thanks.
    TECarlson
  • Options
    Things to consider:

1. HOW MUCH CAN YOU AFFORD? Junk 52's are PSA 6-7 56's

2. WHAT GRADES CAN YOU TOLERATE? I bought a starter 63' set and a near complete 69 set' last year, beautiful cards on front writing on back of almost all the cards, I eventually sold them both, the writing drove me crazy.

3. WHAT SET APPEALS THE MOST TO YOU!!! AND YOU ONLY? When I started my 1956 I originally started a 1955 set, I sold out my 1955's and focused only on the 1956 set. For 3 reasons, it was topps first complete set, all of baseballs players, I got a great deal getting started from a lady who owned a shop her husband originally started, and common price. The 52 commons are going to empty your pocket.

Only you know the answers to these questions good luck. Remember the big boy levels PSA 8 and better. There not only expensive but their hard to come by.