Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sticky question

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, you've just got a nice new coin and taken it home. You take off the dealer's sticky label on the back of the slab and a residue of sticky stuff and label backing stick to the slab. What do you use to get this sticky gunk off?

Comments

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    goo gone
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    And the green stuff (PVC) stuck to the coin in an old plastic POC holder?
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goo Gone Gunk Off image
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    I've typically found that a hammer works quite well. If you desire a more chemical solution, try either acetone or hexanes. Someone can tell you if they dissolve slabs or not though. But unless the stickers are hiding a coin, this isn't really an issue.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't use acetone since it will melt the plastic. WD40 also works to remove the glue residue.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Zippo Fluid. No joke. It is the most gentle solvent I know of that can remove this.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    You can also repeatedly place a piece of scotch tape on the affected area and pull it off quickly (band-aid style) and the sticky adhesive will come off with the tape.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hexanes is far and away the best. Why would you use WD40; it stinks everything up. Not sure about acetone but toluene will dissolve/melt the plastic. Rubbing alcohol and a tissue work too.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I rub it with my thumb until it's gone. It works ten out of ten times. I personally prefer not to place my slabbed coins in contact with chemicals.

-David
  • Options

<< <i>I rub it with my thumb until it's gone. It works ten out of ten times. I personally prefer not to place my slabbed coins in contact with chemicals. >>

I do the same thing. Rub your thumb on the side of your nose to pick up some "nose grease" and then rub your thumb on the old glue on the slab. It disolves the glue and it comes right off. Then take a clean cotton cloth and buff the area to get any residual "nose grease" and glue off the slab. Works every time.

• Options

<< <i>Hexanes is far and away the best. Why would you use WD40; it stinks everything up. Not sure about acetone but toluene will dissolve/melt the plastic. Rubbing alcohol and a tissue work too. >>

As I stated earlier acetone will disolve the plastic and shouldn't be used on slabs. If you go the WD40 route, don't spray it directly on the slab. Spray a tiny amount on a cloth or tissue and then rub the area to disolve and remove the glue. When done, use a cotton cloth to the buff the area to remove any residual glue and WD40.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was nose grease, but it snot.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure about acetone simply cuz I never tried it, tho I'm sure it will affect most slabs.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remove the coin from the slab and discard the plastic.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    how about a little rubbing alcohol?
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, at Home Depot, or Bed, Bath & Beyond,
    and other stores like that, you can buy a
    great product to take the gunk/sticker
    material from plastic holders.

WD-40 makes a "No Mess Pen" containing WD-40.

It's small, fits in a supply case or in your desk;
    it isn't a squeeze container, but looks like a
    thick Pen with a felt-tip that directly applies
    the WD-40 directly to a small area, and you
    just run the pen over the sticky part you want
    to remove.

I think it's a great product; fast, easy, small, efficient......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can also repeatedly place a piece of scotch tape on the affected area and pull it off quickly (band-aid style) and the sticky adhesive will come off with the tape. >>

That is the best way to start, but if it does not work there is a product called "Oops" that works great on TPG slabs.

DO NOT use it on GSA cases. Melts the plastic.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>I rub it with my thumb until it's gone. It works ten out of ten times. I personally prefer not to place my slabbed coins in contact with chemicals.

-David >>

That will usually scratch the plastic.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Goo Gone is simple, easy, effective and it smells good.

• Options

<< <i>Goo Gone is simple, easy, effective and it smells good. >>

Try not to go around sniffing chemicals, if you can avoid it.
    ;-)
    TD
  • Options

<< <i>Try not to go around sniffing chemicals, if you can avoid it.
    ;-)
    TD >>

I promise not to sniff chemicals if you promise not to put your nose grease on my slabs.
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Lighter Fluid (Zippo) to remove the sticky stuph

NeverDull(tm) to buff the big scratches

Pledge furniture polish to finish the job...

Whala ! New Slab.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file