Home U.S. Coin Forum

When your TPG gets the mint mark wrong...

I bought an NGC MS66 1940 S Mercury at a show a few weekends ago. I was just admiring my work at picking a nice specimen -- it appears that the bands are completely split (though they don't look like perfect loaves of bread -- there's some extra metal up top and they almost touch at one point).

Tonight I finally noticed that my sleeper FB is actually a 1940 D. image What bothers me is not that a 1940D FB is worth half of it's -S counterpart (after all, I only paid non-FB price, which is about equal for the two coins), but that I now have three of these coins and no -S.

How does this happen -- submitter indicating the wrong code? A mixup at encapsulation? If I actually lost money on this and didn't get the dealer's contact info, what would be my recourse?

Comments

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought an NGC MS66 1940 S Mercury at a show a few weekends ago. I was just admiring my work at picking a nice specimen -- it appears that the bands are completely split (though they don't look like perfect loaves of bread -- there's some extra metal up top and they almost touch at one point).

Tonight I finally noticed that my sleeper FB is actually a 1940 D. image What bothers me is not that a 1940D FB is worth half of it's -S counterpart (after all, I only paid non-FB price, which is about equal for the two coins), but that I now have three of these coins and no -S.

How does this happen -- submitter indicating the wrong code? A mixup at encapsulation? If I actually lost money on this and didn't get the dealer's contact info, what would be my recourse? >>

Perry Mason???image

Just kidding.....I hope there is an honest lawyer onboard for guidance.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your recourse is the "mechanical error" route . . they will re-cert it with the proper designation for free (obviously they don't like error slabs . . . bad for business), but I don't think you have any recourse against the seller unless they would like to help you out on their own accord.

This seems to happen with Mercs . . . I have one of these as well. It's a unique pop coin -- 1/0 -- as listed (in error) and a 5/3 coin when properly designated. I haven't decided what to do with it yet, but I find it humorous that Registry followers are hunting for a coin that actually does not exist . . .

OK . . . I'll eventually send it back, but it sure is a nice conversation piece for now . . .

Drunner
  • planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    image Cool anecdote about the pop 1 that does not exist. So I've got an "error slab," eh? I actually like the sound of that; I think I'll keep it intact for awhile (I was going to crack it out). Thanks for helping me to see it in a different light, and thanks also for not making fun of me for spending minutes with a 10x loupe on the bands while missing the wrong mintmark. image
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you not notice the mintmark was a "D" when you bought it?
  • GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Happens with Ike Dollars every now and then.....I collect them as mechanical errors!
    Not worth much.
    Just goes to show that every one isn't perfect!

Brian

I LOVE image TALON HEAD, PEG LEG & IKE ERRORS! image
  • planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How did you not notice the mintmark was a "D" when you bought it? >>

image It never occurred to me to verify the mintmark. I looked hard at the reverse, but by that time I was thinking "okay, this is the date/mm combination I need, now how well struck is the coin" and while I undoubtedly looked at the mm I didn't notice anything remarkable about it. image

• << <i>How does this happen -- submitter indicating the wrong code? A mixup at encapsulation? If I actually lost money on this and didn't get the dealer's contact info, what would be my recourse? >>

It could happen if the submitter writes down the wrong number or mintmark on the submission form and the person at PCGS keys it into the computer that way without checking to make sure the coin matches the description, (And considering that the person entering that information may not have much numismatic knowledge that is quite possible.) or the person keying it in may make typing mistake keying it in. Once it is keyed in it may never be verified against the coin again until the final verification step, and at that time they are usually just double checking the grade so errors like that can slip through.

As for your recourse, you can get the slab fixed for free, but if you lose a bunch of money because of it, that's tough. The TPGs do not pay off on mechanical errors.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file