Home Sports Talk

Donovan McNabb to the Lions for Second Overall Pick?

stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
Donovan McNabb to the Lions for Second Overall Pick?

Posted Jan 31st 2007 10:35AM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Eagles, Lions, NFL Draft, NFL Rumors

Donovan McNabb seems like a nice guy. You'd hate to see something like this happen to him. Getting shipped to the Detroit Lions is like getting sent to Leavenworth. But that's the rumor that's being circulated, both in the Ann Arbor News and in Miami during Super Bowl festivities, that the Eagles could send McNabb to the Lions for the second overall pick in the draft, and in turn use that pick for Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn.

McNabb will speak publicly for the first time since his November knee injury today, and he might be asked about the vocal minority of Eagles fans who would like to see him sent packing. We already know McNabb has some gripes. Would the Eagles really want to get rid of him and build the franchise around a rookie?

That seems highly unlikely. The Eagles could be a legitimate Super Bowl contender in 2007, and bringing in a rookie quarterback would be a rebuilding move. The real story here may be how hungry NFL fans are for any kind of information about their teams. The Eagles have been out of it for two weeks, and the Lions have been out of it for six years. Fans of both teams just want to hear something juicy, and McNabb to the Lions definitely fits.

Interesting. With Garcia in there, I might be okay with this now. Especially with McNabb being injury prone lately.

Comments

• Other rumors going around Detroit but probably not picked up nationally.

Bill Parcels as general manager with complete control over all personel decisions (Ford would never agree to that, Parcels actually cares about winning).

Bill Cowher coming to Detroit - hasent every down on their luck team heard that one? image

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, if this actually does ever happen I believe it could work out very well for both teams. Garcia is a great QB and could run the Eagles for a few seasons to develop a rookie QB, on the other hand the Lions are in need of help, not sure if the QB is the only problem though, Kitna put up great #'s last year but the Lions need help everywhere. How is Kevin Jones going to be after that ugly foot injury?
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    As an Eagles fan, I do not want this to happen. I think it only a really bad rumor.

Garcia played great in role where the team was 6-6 and really had nothing to lose. He may have more pressure as a starter .. believe me, Eagles fans could care less about rebuilding a team that has seen success 5 out of the past 6 seasons. Super Bowl or bust with this current squad. A couple of tweaks and they will be right there.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    I agree with 1420 on this. This would be a huge mistake.

Garcia is an average quarterback who had success this year. If teams have an off-season to prepare for him we will find out how much of a #2 QB he is. He's an average QB
    who is on the tail end of his career. The Birds got lucky with him this year. I would not even resign him since it will cost a lot. He's a 37 year old stiff at this point. Nothing
    more.

aconte
  • mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I'm sure Millen will screw it up either way.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure Millen will screw it up either way. >>

image True True True !!!
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take the trade.

If this season has proven with some other 1st round QB picks, it no longer necessarily takes a number of years for quarterbacks to succeed in the NFL. There is no need to rebuild if drafting the right rookie quarterback.

And there are always journeyman quarterbacks available to fit into the Eagles system if everything else fails.

Bottom line - McNabb has become injury prone and that could get better, but more likely it will get worse. I agree with the comments about Garcia, and granted McNabb was having a terrific season before he went down, but he can't win championships on the sidelines.

Frankly, in my opinion McNabb may have developed some attitude problems for any number of reasons. Of course disgruntled quarterbacks can still win...but taking everything into play here, I'd be willing to make this trade. But if the Eagles stay with McNabb that's okay by me as well...I'm not one of those looking to run McNabb out of town by any means.

-
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Detroit didn't have a ton of trouble moving the ball. Kitna turned the ball over a lot, but it wouldn't have mattered as much if their defense could have stopped ANYBODY. As hard as Martz tried, you cannot outscore many teams with a defense that bad. So why Detroit would even consider drafting a QB in the first round or trading for one with that pick is beyond me right at the moment. They should really consider trading down and getting some bodies, ala ol' Jimmie Johnson. One player isn't going to make this defense much better unless they trade for Ray Lewis, but trading your second overall for like 3 lower picks could help substantially if you find the right players.

Or when all else fails, draft a receiver that you can bench and later release.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Only in Detroit would you trade the #2 overall pick for a quarterback (McNabb) who essentially lost his job to the quarterback (Garcia) that you (Detroit) had the previous (2005) year, and you (Detroit) didn't think was good enough.
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    They should really consider trading down and getting some bodies, ala ol' Jimmie Johnson.

If that idiot Mike Lynn of the Vikings was still in the league, then yes. What a friggin idiot he was image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed - it would be a poor deal for Detroit.

Frankly, if McNabb can't scramble any longer, he loses a lot of his effectiveness. He has never been a "great" pocket passer and we all know he doesn't have the greatest touch on his short passes sometimes. I saw Garcia make plays this season that McNabb simply wouldn't have made.

Again...I'm not looking to run McNabb out of town, but if this rumor is true...I'd like to see Eagles make the deal.
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>They should really consider trading down and getting some bodies, ala ol' Jimmie Johnson.

If that idiot Mike Lynn of the Vikings was still in the league, then yes. What a friggin idiot he was image >>

LOL, the super Herschel deal image Jimmy used to trade down frequently though. A 3rd rounder for (2) 4th's and a 5th. Stuff like that, and many turned out to be solid contributers. Detroit could easily trade down and get a lower first, maybe a 3rd and 4th too depending on the team. Could benefit them heavily, but I don't think anybody worth taking at #2 will help them enough.
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like every rumor that sportswriters think about at the local strip club make it the web.

If anyone watched the Lions last year, the problem isn't at QB. The O-line is awful and the defense can't stop anyone when it matters. They really should draft Adrian Peterson with the #2 overall. Kevin Jones is not coming back from this injury until later in the season if at all. A RB with a bad foot might is just like a one-armed QB. Or they should trade down.

I also heard that they are considering the WR from Georgie Tech. If that happens, the Ford family deserves anything bad that happens to them. The fans can't take it anymore.
    Mike