Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2001 - $10 Platinum Eagle - NGC vs PCGS

Another question I've been struggling with is value between PCGS and NGC - both on Grading and Pricing.

I've seen some really nice NGC Graded coins which I think merrit their grade such as this one. However, I've seen a lot of garbage as well overgraded. While I've seen less with PCGS I have still seen some what I would consider to be overgrading. What are thoughts around this?

Additionally, the price differences between PCGS and NGC_Numismedia are astonishing. As I said, this coin which I have panned across with a 25 X scope has no detectable scratches, flaws or blemishes. Well if PCGS graded it I guess per their guide it would be worth $5500. however it you look it up on Numismedia you are looking at $250.00... I can see some small discrepancies, but 22 TIMES IS A LITTLE CRAZY!

Anyone have an opinion or thought on this? It's like if I buy gold from seller 1 it's $600 an oz, however buyer 2 sells the same gold for $12,000 an oz.

Thanks for your responses.

Comments

• Options
    Sometimes NGC coins are a better value; you really have to look at the coins and not the holder. Problem is, when buying on-line at Ebay or somewhere else, it's really a shot in the dark. That's why the price has to be right!
    Get er done!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    The difference in price can be found in the pop reports. ON MODERNS NGC grades consistently 1/2 to 1 grade easier than PCGS. You might find some exceptions but those won't do much to sway the price difference. --Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file