Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Scan of NEW PSA THICK Holder...

Just got these from PSA....the slabs are huge! card is secure, and looks great in it! Feels like you can touch the card, the plastic doesnt even look like its there....However, it doesnt stack well with Standard PSA slabs...

.The 2000 Midwest League All-stars is 1 of 2 graded, the other is a PSA 2....the 2001 Fleer Platinum Lumberjacks and 2001 Studio Masterstrokes are both Pop 1 (as of now)....The Studio Masterstrokes is one of the most artistic Pujols cards produced, its numbered to 200, and is tough to find in mint condition because the the red borders that chip fairly easy....Its one of my Favorites!

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool!

They look great. I cant wait to send my thick cards in image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i dont like the holders.. they should be standard sized..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Pretty.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    i dont like the holders.. they should be standard sized..

I have to agree... it'd be nice if they were of the same dimensions, just thicker.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Do you submit the thick cards on a separate submission form or do you comingle with regular cards.

I haven't seen a difference in price for this holder.

Congratulations on the nice grades. It really is a crapshoot on those game used cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you submit the thick cards on a separate submission form or do you comingle with regular cards.

Congratulations on the nice grades. It really is a crapshoot on those game used cards. >>

You should separate them or they could end up on the problem order shelf. Always remember, different holder, different form.

Patch Cards can be submitted at the Modern Service and higher based on declared value.

Carol

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Alright patch/thick card guys. How are you submitting them: Sleeveless in a CS IV? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do you submit the thick cards on a separate submission form or do you comingle with regular cards.

Congratulations on the nice grades. It really is a crapshoot on those game used cards. >>

You should separate them or they could end up on the problem order shelf. Always remember, different holder, different form.

Patch Cards can be submitted at the Modern Service and higher based on declared value.

Carol >>

Carol,
    Do you have a guideline for card thickness?
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i keep asking this question and never get an answer. but how thick is the slab itself. i would love to know approx. how thick of a card they will slab.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i keep asking this question and never get an answer. but how thick is the slab itself. i would love to know approx. how thick of a card they will slab. >>

I would think, being that it is a modified pack slab, it would hold some pretty thick cards and probably be adjusted for various thickness.

Are there any cards thicker than a pack of...say 1978 Topps? I would think not but I dont know. If not, Im sure it will hold any patch card
  • Options
    i was wondering because I have exquiste helment auto'd favre card I would like slabbed. dont want to a $600+ card for no reason.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    but how thick is the slab itself.

Look like the same slab for their packs; so I'm assuming up to
    15 regular cards would fit in there??
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I don't like them either. Not sure why so much plastic is needed..
  • Options
    I was hoping for a better alternative to BGS for those thick cards and even noticed patch cards are one of the February specials but those oversized PSA holders arn't gonna cut it for me. Perhaps I'll just keep my patch cards in the one-touch magnet holders until something better comes along or grudgingly use the competition with its pitfalls. Pretty much a no-win either way until one of the grading firms can make a holder that both secures the card (the more thin jersey cards float in a BGS slab), has the same length and width as a regular holder (an obvious issue with the PSA holder), and is stackable with regular holders (a problem with both BGS and PSA holders).
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    PSA Thick Holders... Is that anything like Hardee's Thickburgers? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I agree, it would be nice to have them stackable with regular slabs...also, they dont fit in MJ ROOP holders, so they must be kept separate....

as far as what thickness they hold, i am almost 100% sure that any card, no matter how thick, can fit in these....the thing that is abit strange with these thick HARDEES slabs, is that they are very deep (wide) also..they have a 1cm ribbon shapped border around the back that at least doubles the thickness of the slab...it must be there to prevent scratching of the back surface when the card is layed flat....

when i submit patch cards to PSA, i use Magnetic Pro Holders..havent had any notes/complaints from PSA yet with this method......
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    As Carol stated in this thread,

"On our card submission form, please note that PSA is now capable of grading most modern patch
    cards, which are substantially thicker than normal card issues. With the creation of our unopened pack
    holder, these premium cards can now be encapsulated in, arguably, our finest holder to date after
    making some custom modifications to the mold.
    "

So, it's clearly not the same holder as the pack holder, and assuming the thick card slab can hold a card as thick as a pack may be incorrect. We don't know what the "custom modifications" were. It's also clear that they cannot slab every patch card, because Carol's post says they can slab "most" modern patch cards. So, we still need word from PSA on how thick of a card they can fit in this new slab.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Are the slabs the same size as a tallboy holder?
  • Options
    At least allan is understanding what I am saying. I have assumed that they would holder other semi thick cards before with the normal slab, they even had some in the pop report. they still were sent back. carol's response to this was that boderline cards are dealt with on a case to case basis. if they seem to fit one day they will be slabbed if they dont seem to fit the next they wont be.

They also dont say that they will be able to slab all thick cards now either as allan points out. I was just hoping that someone with the slabs in their hands could use a ruler to measure and approxiamte the thickness one might be able to fit in there. I have seen the new slabs with exquistes, but i belive that my helmet card is thicker. I have asked before and all that I got was the length vs width.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    its not as simple as Measuring the thickness.....but here are some numbers from my slab..using a bolley gauge, thickness at center is 7mm...thickness at border of slab is 16mm.......remember the 16mm number includes the large border molding that is part of the back protective border and does not have card holding space potential....

so, sice i dont know the thickness of 1 layer of plastic, you would have to make an assumption..... 1.5mm of plastic thickness, there is enough room for a 4mm thick card (7mm-1.5mm-1.5mm=4mm).....

PSA just slabbed a Pujols 2001 absolute memorabilia RPM...it has a thikness of 2.75mm and it is a very fat card when you look at it (same as tools of the trade)....the only thing fatter is the Sweet Spot Sigs, they are 4.5mm.....I would say, and this is my opinion only, that the Sweet Spot sigcards would not fit in these new holders.....

maybe Carol could clarify the specifics....
  • Options
    thanks for the numbers. i have some measuring to do tonight.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>Cool!

They look great. I cant wait to send my thick cards in image >>

I agree... plus you just increased shipping costs with a bigger holder.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the numbers, fandango. If your measurements and assumptions are correct, the slab can fit cards up to 4 mm thick, or 0.157 inches, or 157 point. That's about as thick as 13 standard 12-point cards. I know I have some memorabilia cards thicker than 157 point in my collection, so it would still be nice to hear from PSA what the cutoff is. Thanks again for helping us out bro.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Cool!

They look great. I cant wait to send my thick cards in image >>

I agree... plus you just increased shipping costs with a bigger holder. >>

there is no additional shipping because of the larger size...same shipping rates apply.....

Joe, any other questions i can answer with the slab in front of me, let me know....soon it goes to the SD Box....
  • Options
    I can't give exact dimensions at this time but I have asked for some from operations.

Developing a new holder is what takes all the time and effort. Once that is done it is much easier to make modifications for "inserts" to the existing holder.

Just like we did with the T3 holders, we started with that main holder and then the modifications were made to handle the smaller issues to fit within that holder such as the Sportscaster cards we now do.

As time goes, we will have different variations to this holder to accommodate the different thicknesses of the cards. Right now I believe we are holdering the thickest of the thick.

It's also true that the "same" patch cards can differentiate in size due to the thickness of the patch. That's why in the past we've been able to holder some of the cards but not others within the same year/series. Our staff will always use their best judgment when holdering a card. If they feel it will not fit properly they will not holder it and possibly damage the card.

Carol
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response Carol, ......it all makes sense to me!

By the way, the eye appeal of the Thick holder is great! Makes the card inside look very important!
  • Options
    carol is always on top of things. image
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I posted this another thread, but thought it would be appropriate here also.

Well, I got my "thick slab" cards today. The holder is different than what I expected. I was thinking the holder would be like a 1964 Topps Giants holder. Essentially like a regular PSA holder, but bigger/thicker. Turns out the holder is bigger, but the plastic feels different. The plastic feels lighter and softer for some reason. Also, when laying the holder flat, it has a lip along the bottem that acts almost like a stand. I guess this allows for stacking as well as addressing different card thicknesses. Overall, the holder is okay. Functional, but without the "WOW" factor.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion