Home Sports Talk
Options

Discussion Topic: Why don't YOU watch NBA Basketball?

gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
I thought it was interesting and noteworthy that, on a previous thread, none of the first 40 posts chose the NBA as their sport of preference. And I don't think anyone even had it in the top three. Anyone want to comment on why that is?
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• Options
    i find it boring. honest, not as bad as golf. but it just doesnt have the drama of Baseball and Football.

Plus i live south of Boston and the Celtics stink worse than Barbaros decomposing corpse. I was amazed at the teams of the 80's and gladly cheered for them (the only local sports team I really admired) They are an embarassment to the league now and have been for a decade or more! Boggles my mind that ownership, management, players are this lame for so long. bleh.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Boobfett said the Celtics are the biggest joke in the NBA. Also I liked it better when teams stayed together and there were major rivals for several seasons IE: Celts vs Pistons or Lakers.
  • Options
    I have never been a huge baseketball fan to begin with. The NBA season is very long and so many teams qualify for the playoffs it makes the regular season seem not very significant. Michael Jordan one time said he found the regular NBA season boring and I would guess
    he is not the only player to think that way. Basketball and hockey still being played in the month of June just does not seem
    right to me, that is baseball season.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Seems to me that the NBA is full of punks looking like they are playing a high powered game of pickup on the town court. I'll watch college over NBA anyday.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I do like to watch the NBA at playoff time, but the rest of the season is boring. Too many teams make it in the current playoff structure. Following College Hoops is far more interesting as the season progresses.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>Seems to me that the NBA is full of punks looking like they are playing a high powered game of pickup on the town court. I'll watch college over NBA anyday. >>

Agree 100%. Plus, since MJ left, I've lost complete interest. Add that to what the Bulls became after he left and you have my reasons. Lebron has spiked my interest somewhat, but not enough to watch on a regular basis.

Used to be that I had the NBA to look forward to in order to carry me over to MLB once NFL ended. Now, I have nothing but cold months until March Madness kicks in.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options

<< <i>Seems to me that the NBA is full of punks looking like they are playing a high powered game of pickup on the town court. I'll watch college over NBA anyday. >>

College is the same way, they just don't have the same talents... The guys that play this way in college go to the pros...
  • Options
    It has turned into a dull game to watch. There is no real team play anymore its all give me the ball everyone clear to one side of the court while I make my moves to get on ESPN highlight show. Its also no longer run by the coaches and team owners but players who act like thugs on and off the court.
  • Options
    "Its also no longer run by the coaches and team owners but players who act like thugs on and off the court. '

also very true.

Lack of rivalries also rings true... there isnt anything close to the Celts. vs. Lakers mentality that pervaded the NBA a few years back.

Whats the top rivalry in the game today? Anyone?
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Phoenix is as close to the style of the days where I enjoyes basketball. The Showtime Lakers, the Nuggets and their run and gun style. I can't stand the walk it up .. dump it inside and kick it out to a 3 point shot. It's all too predictable and boring. Most of the guys can't shoot worth a damn and there is very little solid team play. I can't even think of a good rivalry today.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    It's painfully boring to watch. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, and for what? You may as well just watch the last few minutes of the game if that much.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I use to be a HUGE basketball fan but the strike killed it for me.

"I've got a family to feed."

Pfht.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Regular season games are close to meaningless.
    2. Season is way, WAY too long.
    3. The NBA game is like men's tennis - quick and boring.
    4. Dunking has long ago lost its excitement - dull.
    5. Basketball is a good college game because you can root for your college team to win. But the NBA game really is not that entertaining to me, even when the Sixers were decent.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You may as well just watch the last few minutes of the game if that much. >>

But the last "few minutes" of the game can take half an hour!

Three changes:
    1. One timeout per team per half
    2. The team that's fouled gets a free throw AND gets the ball back
    3. Any shot taken from inside the paint (especially dunks) is worth one point instead of two

and I would watch the NBA again. If I'm going to watch a basketball game where nobody knows how to shoot the ball they're going to have to at least keep the game moving. There is nothing more boring to me in the world of sports than the last "few minutes" of an NBA game.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    In college, coaches seem to have much more control over their players. The players know if they act like thugs and ball hogs and show off to a teams detrement(sp) they will be benched. There is sooo much more team play in college.

What they do when they make it pro is the difference.

I also agree that the players contol the game, no longer the coaches or owners. Somewhere along the line, team competition left the building.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Because I find soccer more entertaining.

And I can't stand to watch soccer.
    Travis
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    It's not a team sport anymore. It's "watch me play one-on-one and everyone else on the floor watch and wish you were me". A bunch of overpayed punks who think dunking is the way the game is to be played. I watched until the early 90s. I miss the early 80s games between the Celtics and Lakers. THAT was pro basketball.
    The NBA needs to raise the basket to about 18 feet and make the players learn to shoot.
  • Options

<< <i>It's not a team sport anymore. It's "watch me play one-on-one and everyone else on the floor watch and wish you were me". A bunch of overpayed punks who think dunking is the way the game is to be played. I watched until the early 90s. I miss the early 80s games between the Celtics and Lakers. THAT was pro basketball.
    The NBA needs to raise the basket to about 18 feet and make the players learn to shoot. >>

Either raise the basket or make it a technical Foul to Dunk.image
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I am somewhat shocked by these responses.

Every year in college basketball everyone says the Big10 is BORING. Most of the reasons are because they are not flashy, every possesion is a battle, there typically are not showboaters or dunkers, it is truely team ball. That seems to be what you all are saying the NBA is missing. What gives?

I don't particulalry like the NBA, I force myself to watch by playing fantasy basketball. I enjoy the competition of fantasy and actually caring about seeing NBA scores and higlights.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Obviously some of you are not in tune to the current state of the NBA. Watching the best athletes in the world compete against each other using highly refined skills and masterful body control should be enough to garner a fair amount of interest in most fans.

For those who think team play is a thing of the past, I imagine you
    A. haven't watched a full game this decade
    B. haven't watched a Steve Nash-led Phoenix Suns game
    C. don't care what my opinion is

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    For those who think team play is a thing of the past, I imagine you
    A. haven't watched a full game this decade
    B. haven't watched a Steve Nash-led Phoenix Suns game
    C. don't care what my opinion is

D. All of the above

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I guess I don't watch much because I've just lost interest in my team. I loved to watch the Pacers when Reggie Miller was there. I imagine if you weren't a Pacer fan, you hated Miller. But he went from a kid who could barely walk because of birth problems, to one of the best scorers in NBA history, and one of the best clutch scorers in NBA history. And aside from some barbs with a courtside heckler named Spike Lee, did it all with class as well. He was a great community guy and was embraced by the fans.

Now we've got punch throwing thugs like Jermaine O'neal, and worse, had gun flashing thugs like Stephen Jackson and, of course, Ron Artest. It's hard to root for guys who you know you wouldn't like in person and would be embarassed to root for. And I guess I don't enjoy the game as much as baseball or football, sports I can watch any team play and be content.

I also don't think the games are as enjoyable as they used to be. The Magic vs. Bird games were classic because of the rivalry, but remember those NBA finals games used to end in 127-121 type scores. Recently, you saw the Pistons winning games 90-83. The guys today may be the most athletic of all time, but they sure don't have a lot of true basketball skills. They're more suited toward a track and field event. Play fast and above the rim, with zero passing skills and no midrange jumper.

The Suns today, and specifically Steve Nash, are an exeption, and it's why they win 17 games in a row. And it's more enjoyable for me to watch.

I'll stick with the NFL, MLB, and college hoops.

shawn
  • Options
    I'll agree that the Suns and Steve Nash are fun to watch. And if I lived in Phoenix I'd love to check em out in person.

Maybe if they incorporated their thug lives into the game, drive by at half time. everyone packs a 9mm, snipers shoot at folks who attempt to dunk, Ref's have kevlar vests and the ring is encased in bulletproof glass (to prevent fan injuries) kinda like NBA Thunderdome.....

Two teams enter....one team leaves!
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    NBA Basketball is only a few notches ahead of the NHL on my boring sport list. I will watch a little in the playoffs however.

I actually look forward to the end of hockey season, so I don't have to watch any highlights on ESPN.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Players today are certainly more athletic than the players were 20 years ago, but their all-around skills aren't even close IMO. There are few players that have the capability to hit the mid-range jumper and even fewer that seem to know how to hit a free throw. Post-up plays are generally only for the big men today where small guys like Dumars & Kevin Johnson used to play regularly. Team play is a concept lost by many players. Someone mentioned a lack or rivalries, which is becoming more evident in all sports. Free agency is a major factor for that. I remember hating teams because of one player. But when that player goes to 3 different teams in 2 years, I get confused and cannot recall which team I'm supposed to hate anymore. Too many attitudes in todays game. Too much showboating. Also the fact that the players in the U.S. don't seem to be the best in the world anymore has probably swayed some. Their showings in recent international events is quite humorous.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with many comments that the NBA games in the regular season are boring. Too much of 1 on 5 with a lousy shot forced up as the shot clock expires [including way too many 3 point attempts, for example Kobe Bryant scoring 30 points on 6 for 35 shooting, plus free throws; and for example the GS Warriors were 3-35 in 3 point shots over the past two games, each of which they lost by 20+ points].
    Further, the walk it up, grind it out, wrestle your opponent, style of basketball is terrible to watch.

I also do not like the fact that many of the NBA players are so gifted with physical talents [running fast, jumping high, incredible reflexes allowing them to react instantly to events on the court] yet have never learned and have no interest in learning the basic mechanics of the game [of passing, dribbling, shooting, rebounding, defending, court spacing, court awareness]. They only want to play street ball and make the ESPN Sports Center highlight "Dunk of the day".

Certain past and present NBA teams (some of the, Sixers, Lakers and Celtics of the 60's, 70' and 80's, the Bulls of the 90's and the Suns and Mavericks of the 2000's) are fun to watch because they play a fast paced, fast breaking and passign game [I love watching point guards like Magic Johnson, Calvin Murphy, Tiny Archibald, Bob Cousy, John Stockton, Jason Kidd and Steve Nash play point guard].

What is also very fun to watch is the NBA players play on a US National Squad (i.e. Olympics) and compete against "TEAMS" from outside the USA. These other teams are just that. They play together for years and they play a polished "team" game. Thought the NBA players of the USA may have better pure physical talent, the teams outside the USA play bery well against them and many times beat the USA squads because they play better team basketball and have a better knowledge and understanding of how to play the game.

The NBA playoffs are another matter, however. The playoff series is where the level of play picks up. I hope this year the Western Conference Finals consist of the Sums v.s the Mavericks. That would be fun to watch IMHO. We will see come June, 2007.
  • Options
    If anyone watched the Jazz Vs. Spurs, that was one of the best games I've seen in years. A classic game I won't mind watching again. I'm a born Nets fan, and I'm sorry but even when the Nets lose, they are entertaining. I live about 8 miles from Verizon Center, so I enjoy the Wizards as well. I don't watch much NBA, but I watch it more than Post-ESPN NHL, and MLB(besides playoffs).
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to like the NBA, I watch fewer games myself except for the Pistons, but don't tell me college hoops is better. Except for the NCAA tournament, the regular season of college doesn't mean anything. The college game is basically a bunch of 3 point shooters and the occassional big guy over 6'7". All of the best players, until this past year, skipped college all together and went to the NBA.

Unless you are alumni of a specific school, college hoops is just as boring as most NBA games.

Mike
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Game 5 of last years finals. The team played nice defense, but the refs gave the superstar the ticky tack call and cost another team the title. They don't respect their game, why should I watch?
  • Options
    I'm actually proud to say I have NEVER watched a full NBA game nor any other basketball game and
    I likely never will unless I had a relative playing there......one thing I really think that hurts it is the rotten
    attitude of many of the players...they really do come of as punks....also, their used to be i think a lot
    more interesting personalities and nice guys ......Karl Malone, the Admiral, MF, Barkley, etc etc....

Of course up here in the Tundra of Canada, hockey indeed reigns supreme but the current NHL being
    played really isn't that great either....ugh....