Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    Here you go image

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That is a Tetradrachm from Alexandria, Egypt. I believe (based on the bust) it is Otacilia Severa.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your help. So you think it's Egyptian, not Roman? Is there a website where I can search through pictures and find mine?
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is still Roman when Rome controlled Egypt. Otacilia Severa was the wife of Philip I whose coins you have.

Click here for some information on Octacila Severa

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Thanks for the link! Very interesting reading. You're a mighty helpful person. image So are you in agreement that it's Otacilia Severa? I'm just a little stumped since I can't find a picture of my coin anywhere. Or is that to be expected?
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The inscription looks more like Salonina, empress and wife of emperor Gallienus, to me. Here's a coin I think is a good match:
    Roman Provincial - Egypt, billon tetradrachm, Obverse (in Greek) KOPNHLIA CALWNEINA CEB, Reverse eagle, LIG (Year 13 = 265/266 AD) Milne 4122, Sear 10713.

I found this picture on Wildwinds, a fairly comprehensive online ancient coin catalogue.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)