Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

At a show, is it OK to say to a dealer, "show me all of your [x] coins"?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Whenever I am at a show, other than getting overwhelmed by the vast amount of numismatic treasures on the bourse, I frequently feel as though my searching is not very focused. Suppose I collect Lincoln cents from the Denver mint (and only Lincoln cents from the Denver mint) for acertain 15 year period.

Is it acceptable to go up to a dealer's table at a show and say, "I only collect Lincoln cents of these dates from the Denver mint. Show me everything that you have." Or do you have to be more limiting in your request?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the shows I have gone to, I don't know how many would/could accomodate your request like that.
    If you are looking for slabs, they may point to what is shown and say "knock yourself out looking".
    Same thing if in 2x2 holders and boxes.

They may have some items behind the table that will come out, but I think your request is too vague and likely not going to get much CS from a dealer, particularly if they have another customer (unless it is something like CC morgans or D gold pieces, etc)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, but I would love to be standing next to you and see what kind of looks you get !
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    You have to ask or your never going to get the juicy stuff.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    Consider that they have limited table space and tend to bring more stuff then they can put out, you are actually doing the right thing by asking (nicely). I have had them become very glad when ask about something in particular when they have it and decided not to put it out. Remember they are putting the stuff out there that is prime. The only time I have had dealers get a 'tude is when they do not have what I ask for.
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I own an upscale retail store, and those people are my ideal customers. They know what they want, and don't tend to waste my time or theirs...they are serious buyers typically. So, yes I think it is perfectly fine to do that.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Follow me around a show and you'll hear.........."Can I see all your bust half dimes please?" about a million times, over and over and over again image
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with the request. The worst they could say is 'go away'.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    I collect an area of numismatics that only consists of 14 coins. Would that be a limited enough request? I used the Lincoln cent example just for illustrative purposes.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I constantly did it all of the time. Show me all of your early date uncirculated Merc Dimes. Then they would laugh. Finally I had to find something else to collect.....image

Yes it is OK, I believe.

Ken
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    When I first saw this thread title, I thought you were asking if it was OK to walk around the bourse floor spewing expletives and using course language to describe dealers' inventory.

So I'm pleased that's not the case. And I do think asking to see every coin within your area of interest is perfectly #@%*& appropriate.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good bourse dealer will ask you what you are looking for and show you all he has in that area.

At the Spring ANA, I was looking to buy a nice MS-64 1932 Indian $10 gold coin. There was a dealer who had three or four in his case, and I asked to look at them. He handed me the coin on top. It was pretty nice, and I asked to look at the rest. He said, "No", I could only look at one. Any guess what I did next?
  • Options

<< <i>At the Spring ANA, I was looking to buy a nice MS-64 1932 Indian $10 gold coin. There was a dealer who had three or four in his case, and I asked to look at them. He handed me the coin on top. It was pretty nice, and I asked to look at the rest. He said, "No", I could only look at one. Any guess what I did next? >>

Are you serious????
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i> I collect an area of numismatics that only consists of 14 coins. >>

image We know, we know!

Sorry, it just struck me as funny.

I've assumed that was the case, but...now you've said it, and good on ya. I just don't see how a person can hang around here and not get interested in collecting new stuff. But to each his own image

Just kiddin, you're a good egg
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>At the Spring ANA, I was looking to buy a nice MS-64 1932 Indian $10 gold coin. There was a dealer who had three or four in his case, and I asked to look at them. He handed me the coin on top. It was pretty nice, and I asked to look at the rest. He said, "No", I could only look at one. Any guess what I did next? >>

Amazing.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's insane, believable but insane. Hell man, at the Denver ANA I had two PCGS 1792 Half Dismes in my hands at the same time at one dealers table.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I collect an area of numismatics that only consists of 14 coins. >>

image We know, we know!

Sorry, it just struck me as funny.

I've assumed that was the case, but...now you've said it, and good on ya. I just don't see how a person can hang around here and not get interested in collecting new stuff. But to each his own image

Just kiddin, you're a good egg >>

Actually, I do collect a lot of other types of coins for "fun", but I have one "serious" collection that costs a fair amount per coin. For example, I always check out early copper and I enjoy learning about it and buying inexpensive pieces. But I would never pay $2,000+ for one coin. However, for my serious collection, I would do that. image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A good bourse dealer will ask you what you are looking for and show you all he has in that area.

At the Spring ANA, I was looking to buy a nice MS-64 1932 Indian $10 gold coin. There was a dealer who had three or four in his case, and I asked to look at them. He handed me the coin on top. It was pretty nice, and I asked to look at the rest. He said, "No", I could only look at one. Any guess what I did next? >>

Out the bastidge! Whatta maroon. Or maybe jagoff.
  • Options
    I would hope that the dealers would ask you what grades you were looking for to at least establish a more precise area of your collecting focus.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A good bourse dealer will ask you what you are looking for and show you all he has in that area.

At the Spring ANA, I was looking to buy a nice MS-64 1932 Indian $10 gold coin. There was a dealer who had three or four in his case, and I asked to look at them. He handed me the coin on top. It was pretty nice, and I asked to look at the rest. He said, "No", I could only look at one. Any guess what I did next? >>

Out the bastidge! Whatta maroon. Or maybe jagoff. >>

I honestly do not remember who it was. He had an all-PCGS inventory and some pretty nice stuff. That probably narrows it down some.
  • Options
    When I go to shows, I ask the dealers to show me all their Seated
    Quarters. After going through all the Seated Quarters at the show, if I have time left, then I go around again looking at all the other Seated coins.
    I've never had a problem. Of course, I always look like a poor hobo at the show, so it fakes the dealers out, and they think I'm some kind of rich eccentric person, instead of what I am..............a poor hobo.image

Ray
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you showed the wad of $100 bills that he could have had and told him to put the piece of crap (1932 eagle) where the sun don't shine
  • Options

<< <i>

I hope you showed the wad of $100 bills that he could have had and told him to put the piece of crap (1932 eagle) where the sun don't shine >>

Not my style. I save my confrontations for the US Coin Forum. image
  • Options
    I usually ask "Do you have anything Carson City other than Morgan Dollars?" I've never had a problem asking and sometimes it starts a great conversation.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i>Any guess what I did next? >>

Sure. Your picture's up in all the post offices. image
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the Spring ANA, I was looking to buy a nice MS-64 1932 Indian $10 gold coin. There was a dealer who had three or four in his case, and I asked to look at them. He handed me the coin on top. It was pretty nice, and I asked to look at the rest. He said, "No", I could only look at one. Any guess what I did next?

This crowd is so gullible. RYK, how about telling us the rest of the story?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    To answer the OP, it's always OK to ask, but the way you ask is also important. Remember that the dealer's answer may vary based on how busy he is, how likely he thinks it is that you will actually buy something, and how likely he thinks it will be that he will enjoy working with you. This isn't MacDonald's, this is a coin show. We don't need everyone to leave our table with a full belly and a smile on his face.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Any guess what I did next? >>

Sure. Your picture's up in all the post offices. image >>

• Options

<< <i>At the Spring ANA, I was looking to buy a nice MS-64 1932 Indian $10 gold coin. There was a dealer who had three or four in his case, and I asked to look at them. He handed me the coin on top. It was pretty nice, and I asked to look at the rest. He said, "No", I could only look at one. Any guess what I did next?

This crowd is so gullible. RYK, how about telling us the rest of the story? >>

Like what? I was with another guy who was trying to decide whether or not to buy another gold coin. I must confess that I did not bow to him before requesting to see the coin (am I supposed to?), but I am always polite, say "please" and "thank you", etc.
  • Options
    This crowd is so gullible. RYK, how about telling us the rest of the story? >>

Like what?

I don't know. You were there, I wasn't. Why do you think he reacted that way? Not that he was justified, but he must have had a reason.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975

I hope he meant that he'd prefer you to look at them one at a time.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect bust half dimes, that's typically all I ever ask for and dealers have no problems with it.
  • Options

That's the downside of professional grading services. "All MS64s are the same"... "you don't need to look at it, it is what it is"...
  • Options

<< <i>This crowd is so gullible. RYK, how about telling us the rest of the story? >>

Like what?

I don't know. You were there, I wasn't. Why do you think he reacted that way? Not that he was justified, but he must have had a reason. >>

Possible reasons:

1. He was pre-occupied with another transaction.
    2. He did not think I would/could buy one.
    3. The others were "on hold" for someone else.
    4. The others were not his to sell.
    5. He did not like the Pittsburgh Steelers (I may have been sporting a Steelers logo somewhere on my person)

Possible ways that he could have communicated to me that would not have left a bad taste in my mouth:

1. "I would be happy to show you the rest, but I am busy right now. Could you kindly come back a little later, and I would be happy to show them all to you?"
    2. "I am uncomfortable showing these coins to you. Could you provide me a reference here at the show?"
    3. and 4. "I am sorry, the others are not currently available."
    5. "No, I am sorry, I am Seahawks/Bengals/Browns/Ravens/Cowboys (choose one) fan, I detest the Steelers, and I would rather not do business with one of their fans."

At any rate, no harm was done. I did not think enough of the incident to take his name.
  • Options

<< <i>This crowd is so gullible. RYK, how about telling us the rest of the story? >>

Like what?

I don't know. You were there, I wasn't. Why do you think he reacted that way? Not that he was justified, but he must have had a reason. >>

Or maybe I was giving off a tirekicker pheromone... image
  • Options

<< <i>

That's insane, believable but insane. Hell man, at the Denver ANA I had two PCGS 1792 Half Dismes in my hands at the same time at one dealers table. >>

And a 3rd sitting in the case in front of you image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I ask to see all of their draped bust silver, the usual response is, "don't have any. Can I interest you in a Morgan or some slabbed bullion?"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure glad we get all these rehearsal's done on here so as we tip-toe and walk on eggshells going up to the Dealers tables at show's..... we'll know how to act and bow down for the privilege of looking/buying a coin from them. I mean, after all, it is a show ya know!!!image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    At the risk of upsetting Andy, I did have the experience a couple of years ago (while wearing my collector hat) of going up to a table at a show here in Boston and asking to see a common Saint in 64 when the dealer ceremoniously pulled out his sheets, feigned astonishment (with an actual lurch) and said "Oh my God, look what I have to pay for these things! - I didn't realize"). That ham-bone routine might have played better if he hadn't done the exact same thing when I went back to his table later in the day. I guess he didn't recognize me - or maybe he didn't care.

For those asking why I even went back to that table, the answer is that he was the only one at the show with a couple of 64s that day.
  • Options
    At the risk of upsetting Andy, I did have the experience a couple of years ago (while wearing my collector hat) of going up to a table at a show here in Boston and asking to see a common Saint in 64 when the dealer ceremoniously pulled out his sheets, feigned astonishment (with an actual lurch) and said "Oh my God, look what I have to pay for these things! - I didn't realize"). That ham-bone routine might have played better if he hadn't done the exact same thing when I went back to his table later in the day. I guess he didn't recognize me - or maybe he didn't care.

Why would I be upset?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That's insane, believable but insane. Hell man, at the Denver ANA I had two PCGS 1792 Half Dismes in my hands at the same time at one dealers table. >>

Miller's Mint!
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    There are a couple dealers who I can make pop a vein just by going up and asking to look at any 8TF Morgans they have. (And then plop a microscope right on their front case.)
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I own an upscale retail store, and those people are my ideal customers. They know what they want, and don't tend to waste my time or theirs...they are serious buyers typically. So, yes I think it is perfectly fine to do that. >>

I don't own an upscale retail store, or even a coin shop, but I do set up at shows, and I agree with Jayboxx. Makes it easier for both of us.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time, dealers ask me what I'm looking for. I tell them, then they show me what they think I might be interested in or they tell me they dont think they're going to have anything I'm going to be interested in.

-David
  • Options
    WHO-DEY!! image
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to ask just what it is you are looking for or you`ll lose valuable time checking every coin out in their case. Seems to me that a lot of dealers like to "pack it in" early at the Coin Shows that i`ve been to. I like to make my rounds to see whats available (quality/price comparison) before making a final decision. Needless to say, only to be left out in the cold when I went back to a certain table to get a certain coin that it is now an EMPTY table. imageimage
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You need to ask just what it is you are looking for or you`ll lose valuable time checking every coin out in their case. Seems to me that a lot of dealers like to "pack it in" early at the Coin Shows that i`ve been to. I like to make my rounds to see whats available (quality/price comparison) before making a final decision. Needless to say, only to be left out in the cold when I went back to a certain table to get a certain coin that it is now an EMPTY table. imageimage >>

Ah, that's where you've been making your mistake. If it's the right coin for you at the right price when you see it first, BUY IT THEN! Woulod you have been happier if the dealer in question had stayed until the end of the show but sold the coin you wanted to someone else who could make a decision faster?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file