Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another "is this worth sending in"

robecrobec Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a couple of raw Mercury dimes that I've had in a folder for 30+ years. Most all in the folder are medium grades. These two are the best in the folder.

The line under the B on the obverse of the 38 appears to be a clash or something that was mint related. Whatever it is, it's not a scratch.

Comments

• Options
    the '37 looks cleaned to me
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 37 looks solid and might get FB to boot......
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Is it possible that the dies might have been polished? There appears to be lines coming from under the B in Liberty. I'll try to get a closer shot.

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    i don't think the 37 has been cleaned, i think the die was polished. it has some major die polish lines, especially on the reverse.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The center band isn't as separated like the other two.
    Just my opinion, if it's worth it to you, slab it. image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can sure tell those have been in a album. The 37s looks to be 63 from the pictures. Just a few too many hits on the cheek and neck. Not FB but you never know. The 38s looks to be a little better and again not FB but with the you never know disclaimer. Personally I would put them back in the album.

Nice original mercs.

Ken
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    If you're talking about the cost of slabbing versus the value of the coin and whether you would be able to regain your cost in the coin and grading by reselling - neither are worth it.

If you're looking to slab your collection regardless of the cost - then anything is worth slabbing.

My personal opinion is that both coins are ugly.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you're talking about the cost of slabbing versus the value of the coin and whether you would be able to regain your cost in the coin and grading by reselling - neither are worth it. >>

I agree with this statement, and I also agree that the toning pattern on these is not the type that tends to be sought after in the marketplace.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. It was mostly a curiosity thing. I'll just put them back in their 30+ year old home.image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me ask--what would be the reason for wanting to slab these coins?
    Are you planning on selling them?
    If so- do you think you would get much less (say adding up the cost of the slab/shipping/insurance) for the coin raw if the seller could see the coin in hand or a high res pic like you are obviously capable of taking?
    Are you planning on keeping them?
    Is so--no brainer-keep em just like they have been for 30+ years.
    If you are just curious about more professional opinions of their grades (not putting down your own ability by any means) then just ask here-albeit the opinions would be based on pics, but there are some top notch professionals here also.
    Just curious
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    They are nice enough to slab so slab them. No down side. Slab 'em.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They are nice enough to slab so slab them. No down side. Slab 'em. >>

Hey PrivateCoinCollector,
    What do you think that 38S grades, and what do you value it at in the grade you think?
    I am asking you this to try to justify the cost of slabbing the 38S.
    Thanks in advance.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    If I were to slab them, it would be with the free submissions I would get next time I join the CU. I've had 16 done this way and I'm running out of decent material to slab.

<< <i>and I also agree that the toning pattern on these is not the type that tends to be sought after in the marketplace. >>

Darn, if I had've only known about toning patterns 30 years ago, I would have stuck them in a Battle Creek folder.
  • Options
    Save your free submissions for something nicer. Both mercs are common date, low mint state grades, non-FB. Sell the set on Ebay and buy a nice raw DC Franklin. Have that slabbed.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Neither coin is a wow. They probably would both grade, but it is hard to tell from a photo.

Mercury dimes are know for polishing lines and sometimes they even shine in spots from the polishing.

I think both your dimes show signs of clash marks, again not too unusual.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    That's the best recommendment yet.image

Edited to add final thought:

One note....While I have to agree that they are less than pretty blown up, they do look better in actual size. But, they are what they are and I appreciate all who gave their honest opinion. I like and respect your honesty.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file