Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

My card shop adv...does Stephen Hawking collect cards?

Hello all,

I haven't stepped foot in a card shop since 1991. I am building a '55 Topps collection and also needed some graded card sleeves, so figured I'd support a local business and see the current state of the local scene. I live in KY and picked one of maybe four local card shops...

Upon entering, everything seemed normal enough...young kid plowing through some bargain bins...old man on crutches jawing with the owner. Granted, I'm in my 30s and am not a luddite or Ted Kazinski (sp?), but really do not understand today's cards. So bear with me as I try to describe what happens next from my perspective...

The old timer is opening some Chrome Metal X Turbo Refractor Cards and tells the owner that he just landed a Ryan Howard Parallel Universe Sanforized LED Chromatic Spectrometer Hybrid Sonographic Limited Edition card....hmmm and it is 237 of 555.

I tried to catch a glimpse of his card, but apparently it is so rare and desirable it actually exists only in the 5th dimension (in all fairness, the light around his hand did seem a bit distorted) perhaps some temporal worm hole had opened...

He was able to insert his hand into some sort of plasticized air lock, thus, capturing the card in all it's 5th dimension Quasar Mint glory and mentioned having the get to a dry cleaner's with it as soon as possible...

I bought my sleeves and a card box (they were the only two items I could understand and identify). I am currently at home re-reading "A Brief History of Time" and boning up on my string theory and quantum physics in the hopes that maybe in the future I can buy a modern pack of cards.

I'm just not sure Spook Jacobs would have wanted it this way...

My best to you and happy collecting,

Shawn
Shawn

55 Topps - 26.7% / 5.91 / #67 cf
hey! I'm workin' on it !

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    That was really funny-I dont understand the new stuff either....I find it weird when the new stuff (brooks robinsoncard) is numbered like 5/500...and they feel that should bring a premium brcause Brooks was #5...Crazy!
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever seen the Stephen Hawking action figure from the "Simpsons" line?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good Buddy, and image

Steve
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    What a phoney..........I have that insert numbered # 237 of that Howard card! I have it in a lead box for protection.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    That was very funny. I don't want to say I understand modern cards as I'm in my late 30's but I do have a vague grasp. To me all that would be frustrating to collect and/or understand.

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    #237?!!!

I have numbers 236 AND 238....I must find that one so that the time capsule will finally open up and my dreams of world domination will finally come true! ::Enter Evil Scientist Laugh Here:: BWAHAHAHA!!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I'm not into modern cards either, but "A Brief History of Time" is a good book. image

But, if you get a wormhole with one of those new rare cards, I might have to start buying packs.

Doug
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Any cards you find with black holes in the middle were produced by Steven Hawkings. The most valuable are the ones where the whole card is a black hole.