Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan people, please have a look

Morgan is a 1884-O What is this? anything worth keeping? I keep waiting for one of you guysto say, " Jim, lose the eye loupe" lol
Thanks,
Jim

image[/IMG]

Comments

• Options
    Is it a bag mark?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die clash. Don't know what VAM it is, if any.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    That's a die clash from the back of Liberty's neck.

When the die's smash together with no coin in them, details from the obverse die are left on the Rev. die and vice versa. then the coins after that that are struck, have that "clashing mark" on them

If you look at the back of Liberty's neck, you'll see the same contour of that clash outline.

A bunch of Morgan's have these.....'cause they had people with no thumbs working the presses back then, and sometimes they couldn't put a coin in the press fast enough...........

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Yep, no question clashed die. But I don't know the Vam number
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Clash. You also should have one up from the wing through the letter "n" of "In" in the motto. There would then be an n clash at the neck. It is close to VAM-23A, but is definitely not that one. The rotation is just a little different.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137
    That's fairly strong clashing. Look below the tailfeathers, you might see remnants of an upper case E; that is highly collectible. On the obverse, you will probably see a line going into the field from middle of Liberty's neck. There may be an inverted lower case letter n; that is also highly collectible. Take a look at Vamorld's site to idneitfy the spcific die paring and VAM. I notice Vamworld is down right now, keep trying if it does not come up for you.

Rick
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • Options

<< <i>That's fairly strong clashing. Look below the tailfeathers, you might see remnants of an upper case E; that is highly collectible. On the obverse, you will probably see a line going into the field from middle of Liberty's neck. There may be an inverted lower case letter n; that is also highly collectible. Take a look at Vamorld's site to idneitfy the spcific die paring and VAM. I notice Vamworld is down right now, keep trying if it does not come up for you.

Rick >>

Nope, none of the above. There does seem to be 3 or 4 other clash marks on the coin, but not as strong as the one in photo. One coming up from the eagles wing, points between the N & G of "in god we trust"
    Thanks guys
    Jim
  • Options
    RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137

<< <i>

<< <i>That's fairly strong clashing. Look below the tailfeathers, you might see remnants of an upper case E; that is highly collectible. On the obverse, you will probably see a line going into the field from middle of Liberty's neck. There may be an inverted lower case letter n; that is also highly collectible. Take a look at Vamorld's site to idneitfy the spcific die paring and VAM. I notice Vamworld is down right now, keep trying if it does not come up for you.

Rick >>

Nope, none of the above. There does seem to be 3 or 4 other clash marks on the coin, but not as strong as the one in photo. One coming up from the eagles wing, points between the N & G of "in god we trust"
    Thanks guys
    Jim >>

Jim

That spike is a pretty common feature of a clash. Interesting is it not?

Rick
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • Options
    It would be easier if you just post a full obv and rev pics of the coin. There are a multitude of letter transfers that occur in several places. We would be able to help pinpoint which one you have with those pics.

Also, just because you see a clash at the wreath on the rev and a clash from the wreath at the back of the cap...isn't always indicitive of a letter transfer, hence the need for full pics.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    die clash.....kinda cool............
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

<< <i>It would be easier if you just post a full obv and rev pics of the coin. There are a multitude of letter transfers that occur in several places. We would be able to help pinpoint which one you have with those pics.

Also, just because you see a clash at the wreath on the rev and a clash from the wreath at the back of the cap...isn't always indicitive of a letter transfer, hence the need for full pics. >>

My imaging at best is horrible. I can do ok using a eyeloup with the camera on closeup's, but a full sharp bright image, nope can't do it.
    Jim
  • Options
    ok, hit the neck/throat, the hair vee on the obv, below "I" and "B" of "Pluribus", on the rev. area between the tailfeathers and the bow. Those are some of the easier areas to look.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Obvious clash mark in a very typical area. It is caused from the dies hitting together without any planchet being between them and putting the negative impression of each die on the dies.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Since the neck clash comes up in between the n and G of the motto, it is unlikely to have transferred the n to the obverse. The st could have clashed, but it is likely just a clash without any letter transfers. Quite common.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Also look over on the left wing, in between the wing and "In God...". There may be a line extending up from the wing toward the motto. That's her neckline from the obverse die. A good solid die clash produces this line as well.
  • Options

<< <i>Since the neck clash comes up in between the n and G of the motto, it is unlikely to have transferred the n to the obverse. The st could have clashed, but it is likely just a clash without any letter transfers. Quite common. >>

Apology, Coxe. You beat me to the punch.image
  • Options

<< <i>ok, hit the neck/throat, the hair vee on the obv, below "I" and "B" of "Pluribus", on the rev. area between the tailfeathers and the bow. Those are some of the easier areas to look. >>

Here's some other photo's. There's nothing between the tailfeathers and bow.

image[/IMG]

image[/IMG]

image[/IMG]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file