Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Raw 20th anniversary SAE sets now sell for as much as 69/69/69 graded sets.

I just got done looking at page after page of completed EBAY auctions on those 20th anniversary SAE sets. It seems that the average selling price for a raw set is now about $250.00. And the NGC "black label" graded sets with straight 69's aren't selling for much more than that.

So, it wasn't the end of the world for those who opened their boxes when they got them from the mint. It sure pays to hang on to something that's limited in mintage and really cool until after the initial EBAY flipping period is over.

Hopefully this is encouraging to at least a few people out there. And it sure is an interesting study in market dynamics.
Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I was noticing the same thing! Sheesh, unopened boxes are going for over $300 per set!

I wish I hadn't of sold one of my graded sets.................
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Do you think there might be two types of collectors out there: the one who wants the graded stuff and the other who likes the original unaltered mint products?
    Anyone can make a difference, but most people probably shouldn't. -- Marge Simpson
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you think there might be two types of collectors out there: the one who wants the graded stuff and the other who likes the original unaltered mint products? >>

...and let's not forget the 3rd type of collector... the one that thinks 95+% of all modern coins (created for the collector) are ms/pr 68 and higher and see NO point in collecting the slabbed coins in ms/pr 69.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Now that the mass flipping is done,

let the price increases resume.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Do you think there might be two types of collectors out there: the one who wants the graded stuff and the other who likes the original unaltered mint products? >>

...and let's not forget the 3rd type of collector... the one that thinks 95+% of all modern coins (created for the collector) are ms/pr 68 and higher and see NO point in collecting the slabbed coins in ms/pr 69. >>

Is 95% kind of low image
  • Options
    What are the prices for an across the board PCGS First Strike 69 set? Sorry I can't get on ebay at work.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What are the prices for an across the board PCGS First Strike 69 set? Sorry I can't get on ebay at work. >>

Try this

versus

this

Note the SAE FS 69/69/69 set sold for double the non-FS set. image

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like non-FS PCGS 69s aren't selling for much more than raw either. It will be interesting to see if FS can retain its premium or not. A while back I looked at older non-Anniversary PCGS FS 69 ASEs and most of them seemed to sell for less than the individual Mint price plus non-bulk grading/FS fee. It makes sense that both NGC and PCGS 69s would sell for only a slight premium over raw for the holders.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>Seems like non-FS PCGS 69s aren't selling for much more than raw either. It will be interesting to see if FS can retain its premium or not. A while back I looked at older non-Anniversary PCGS FS 69 ASEs and most of them seemed to sell for less than the individual Mint price plus non-bulk grading/FS fee. It makes sense that both NGC and PCGS 69s would sell for only a slight premium over raw for the holders. >>

TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    What are the 70/70/69 sets going for?
  • Options
    What are the pop reports on these 3 coins (non FS)...if there is a high percentage of coins coming out at the 69 level you would think that single unopened mailer boxes (multi set boxes might be too much for an individual collector) would increase given the price jump from a 69 to 70. I would think if a 69/69/69 set is selling for $275 -$325 range and a 70 Rev is above $1000 an individual might be willing to pay a premium at a chance to get a 70 if they had a 75%-80% chance to still get a 69. Maybe the percentages aren't that good for the 69's.
    ---------------------------------------------

"The Villain"

Shiba Rescue Organization
    A Shiba Inu is a terrible thing to waste! image
  • Options
    I just got back the Sealed 10 set box that I had, i rcvd 2 Rev Proof 70's and 2 Proof 70's, the rest were all 69's.
  • Options
    well NGC gives away MS-69 grades like they're candy, so I can see why they don't carry much of a premium. I do see the PCGS "first strike" prices as a sign of things to come for the rest of the non first strike coins though... any way you look at it, the uncirculated 2006-w is scarce and undervalued here... it's going to be one of them coins where it gets a good price no matter what the grade is and even if it's raw, because of the mintage.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has NGC given any of them a 68 yet?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>well NGC gives away MS-69 grades like they're candy, so I can see why they don't carry much of a premium. I do see the PCGS "first strike" prices as a sign of things to come for the rest of the non first strike coins though... any way you look at it, the uncirculated 2006-w is scarce and undervalued here... it's going to be one of them coins where it gets a good price no matter what the grade is and even if it's raw, because of the mintage. >>

That should be the Unc. and the Rev. Pr.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file