Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Wow. I'm pretty sure that the '22s that I found at the bank on Friday looks better than that. I guess I need to put in the safe deposit box because it looks to be worth a fortune.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    If that is an MS67 then I should get ours regraded. It might go MS105 with this guys grading standards. image
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    What a sick mess.
  • Options
    I'm thinking Mr helpdesk is a shill... that coin is going nowhere... anyone who has the time, see if he ever puts it up again sometime soon...
  • Options
    Strange - either this bidder is very smart or very stupid. Maybe some kind of scam we don't know about? Weird. he doesn't say its a 67 - what kind of person would bid that kind of money totally cluelessly? Weird.
  • Options
    Which one's the criminal?
    Ebay or the seller? image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Hey, they only said the coin was $18K in 67, not that this coin WAS a 67. image

How much for a fugly, cleaned EF/AU?
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    wow! thats all i can say.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, as PT Barnum said, there's one born every minute.

Even if the buyer returns it, that 10% restocking fee will clip him/her for $150. YEOUCH!!!
  • Options

Poor fellow. image

He's probably telling his wife right now "Look honey..I just got a $18,000 coin
    for just $1,500 bucks! Ebay rocks!!".
    "All that is gold does not glitter..."
    -JRR Tolkien
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want to figure this out?

First thing to do: Find the money
    Second thing to do:Find the money
    Third thing to do:Find the money

Find the money trail and you have chance of solving this freaking crime. Good luck.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    theumptheump Posts: 634 ✭✭
    Looks like a shill. Check out the feedback.

Text
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    That Peace is so sickly looking it not worth commenting on.image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's probably telling his wife right now "Look honey..I just got a $18,000 coin
    for just $1,500 bucks! Ebay rocks!!". >>

I'm not sure any transaction took place. This smells like a shill based on the feedback.

Still, that's an awful lot of FVF to pay if it is a shill. Perhaps that's the "cost of doing business" if you can land a big sucker once in a while.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Bidder number 5 appears to be a shill as well. Here is #5's info:

Bidder Information

Bidder 5
    Registered on eBay: 30 days or less
    Bids on this item: 2

30-Day Summary

Total bids: 83
    Items bid on: 41
    Bid activity (%) with this seller: 71%
    Bids to unique sellers: 11
    Bids in unique categories: 10
    Bid retractions: 0

US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Hey anyone want to make a quick $500k, I will sell you 1000 of these at the low discount price of $1000 each, thats an amazing $500 profit each available if they sell at these prices. image
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .......and he promisses to send you the very same coin that he has pictured. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I bet Robert Chambers and Jimmy Gerstel will use this as their "compare at" price when they are selling circulated Peace dollars by the roll this weekend...

Not $500 per coin, Not $400 per coin, Not $300 per coin...

Rex
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He screwed "helpdesk" Big Time on this one with the same Shill >>

Indeed! Ebay is giving out a lot of useful information on bidders despite the change to anonymity on bidding histories. Did they just start adding the callout boxes?

How do you successfully report shill activity to ebay?
  • Options
    I wrote an article on shill bidding about 6 years ago. It's amazing how out of date it is. This will give some insight into how we used to be able to track shillers--and now it's almost (if not completely) impossible
    How to report shill bidding to eBay
  • Options
    Interesting little collection of repeat bidders for "funatjensen"...

mgutie10112qm4 (0) Dec-03-99 Zero activity since 1999, except recent multiple bids on funatjensen auctions

archiesauto (0) Jan-21-07

krburgess63 (0) Jan-01-07 Frequent bidder

cleldredge (1) Jan-27-07

hocksproducts1 (0) Jan-28-07

mountaindrreamer1976 (7) First bidding activity since 7-13-05, frequent bidder

Not to mention "bidder #5", who may very well be one of the above.
  • Options
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    You should have to pass a test to buy a grey sheet. The winner probably went out and got a steak dinner to celebrate his bargain landing of that big fish too. I am numb to pitying those nimrods anymore.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You should have to pass a test to buy a grey sheet. The winner probably went out and got a steak dinner to celebrate his bargain landing of that big fish too. I am numb to pitying those nimrods anymore. >>

I agree. If you are going to spend over $1500 on a coin with less than $14 of intrinsic value, you should be somewhat responsible for your bidding.
  • Options
    I think the seller's greed fosters and encourages the buyer's greed. Tried and true marketing method that lets the buyer do all the selling. Ever see the late night or midday commercials advertising the "credit you deserve" to people who absolutely don't deserve it (ie bankrupt people who are in debt up to their ears). These people think, hey I do deserve credit like all the other people (never crossed their mind that debts need repaid), and this company understands me! I love them, I will do business with them, and I will defend them!

Now you've got the WORTH A MILLION DOLLARS IN MS70!!!!!! (this isn't certified because I'm a high volume dealer that just doesn't have the time). CHECK OUT THIS COIN THE COIN IN THE PICTURE IS THE ONE YOU WILL RECEIVE!!! (It must look great or else the seller wouldn't stress that the photo is the actual coin). BOOK VALUE A MILLION BUCKS!!!! (OMG, Imagine if I buy this coin and do the work and get it certified I will be a millionaire! Even if it grades less, it can't be worth just the $1,000 I'm going to pay for it! I'll be rich!) Only 2 hours left before the auction closes! (QUick check of his feedback it's 98%! Wow that's high this guy is the real deal woohooo!). But what if nobody else wants it... wait it has 17 bids, this coin is popular. OMG, a few people know my secret, a few others are in on this huge take! I'd better up my proxy, they don't know what I know, I did my DD, I've got it all figured out~!

And the coin sells. And the buyer is happy. And the seller is happy. And 5 years down the road that buyer takes his coins into the shop because his wife left him and he needs quick cash to save his house, and he learns the cold, hard, truth. But by that time, this dealer will be out of business, and so much time will have passed, this buyer won't have made the association and will not have learned a lesson. Time for round two.
  • Options
    If I believed these were legitimate bids, all my coins would be heading for a tumble in a cement mixer before being put on Ebay.
    I think along the same lines as the rest of you. For some unknown reason, this seller is trying to fake out the potential buyers making them think his junk is worth a lot of money.

Ray
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My old car would be worth $50,000 if it was a Vet. Do ya wanna buy it?....what was that buyers screen name again?!

You're right, that is a crime - I almost can't believe anyone would be that stupid.....then again.
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>Which one's the criminal?
    Ebay or the seller? image >>

Why would Ebay be the criminal, they are a selling and auction venue.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you combine (1) a foolish buyer with big pockets with (2) a seller with deceptive descriptions who overgrades significantly with (3) shill bidding hidden by eBay's new Bidder 1, Bidder 2, policy, then these results happen. The other posters are correct, eventually this buyer will go into a shop with his near-complete set of "Gem BU" Morgans, and will be told the truth. Of course, he will think the shop owner is trying to rip him off. image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file