Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strange penny - test planchet?

First post - been watching (and learning!) for a few months. Great forum!

While going thru a bag of pennies with my son we found this penny. It is black on the 'head' side (with a few scratched, I am sorry to report) but the clear but very light image of the Lincoln Memorial on the backside. There is a very crisp rim; I think you can even see it in the picture. My local coin shop (very helpful, as always) wasn't sure if it was real or 'manufactured'. Thoughts?

Thank you, as always! ;-)

Matt

If you don't ask, you won't know...

Comments

• Options
    Welcom to the boards.

Glad you shared the photo's. looks like corroded zinc cent. I see lots of this kind of corrosion in my cent rolls. Strange though you cannot see the portrait on the obverse.

mmmmmmmmmimage
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Looks to me like the corrosion may have something to do with the lack of design. No question in my mind that the lack of design is from the mint, I just don't know how it happened. Most likely cause is obstructed dies.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, interesting, could it be one of the pressure test strikes (Not sure what they are called) I seem to remember reading something about errors when they are setting the pressure, a bunch of coins are wasted (Recycled) while they are trying to set the pressure and either squashing the cents (Not Pennies) or not hitting them hard enough...

Then again it could be an extensive struck through grease.

Anyone else want to chime in?

BTW. Welcome to the forum (At least posting, stick around these are some smart collectors here)

Ray
  • Options
    Thank you all for your posts.. the 'strange' thing is how crisp the rim is.. almost like a new penny. I used my loop on the front side and I don't see even a sample of the image... very strange.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe your coin was struck by grease-filled dies. The rim is too well formed for this to be a low pressure of "die adjustment" strike as one poster speculated. The dark coloration may be opbscuring some faint details toward the rim, but I do not think your coin is at all corroded.

In general filled dies don't bring much of a premium, though yours is a pretty extreme example in that both dies are filled. Typically one die will be filled and the other side of the coin struck by this die will exhibit a normal or even stronger strike.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking test strike however as you guys say the rim is to high for test strike must be a major struck thru grease
  • Options
    I looked for struck through grease error pics online... If that is what this is I don't see like what I found; at least to the 'degree' this has. I am not disputing the suggestion; just a lot more 'loss' on this one than any of the ones that I see. Every coin in unique I suppose.... lol.

I am interested to find out more if someone would like to see it. I don't really want to sell it, but if someone would like to look at it I would consider it and will pay shipping (both ways)... Very interesting conversation piece. I would like to be sure I have some idea what I am talking about when I say it is 'such and such' coin....

My son and I have found lots of cool stuff in the bags we get at the bank. The more I do coin collecting to more I am getting into it.

Thank you again everyone! Your time and attention is greatly appreciated!

Matt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file