Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SPEAKING OF EBAY!!

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see any number of eBay listings where a seller has gone to great pains to state that a coin set is sold out from the Mint, blah, blah, blah big fancy writeup; stuff like that.

So how many 3 coin ASE sets do you think get sold to someone who accidentally stumbles on them on eBay or are most sold to someone who knows what he/she is looking for? In other words are big fancy promotional things a waste of time on eBay?

Comments

• Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    The great majority are probably sold to those who are looking for them and know exactly what it is they're after. The only time I would use "sold out" in the title is immediately after a sell out when even the knowledgeable may not know there's been a sellout.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It is only HYPE.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    call it what you may, but hype often works. Closing prices over the years say so.
  • Options
    Blame shop at home. They're selling the 20th anniversary sets for $5K. People see them on ebay for 1/5th that and think it's a steal.
  • Options

<< <i>call it what you may, but hype often works. Closing prices over the years say so. >>

marketing 101
  • Options
    I did not mean to imply that it was a bad thing (HYPE) but the fact remains all that glitter is just that...............HYPE

And yes it does work.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Well you certainly aren't going to sell a coin, or any product with descriptions such as
    "The mint made like a billion of these worthless things. The face value is $1 and it contains about $13 worth of silver, but the mint charged me $100 for it. Every idiot and his cousin is hysterical over this garbage but we both know in a year these will be as worthless as everything else the mint produces. By the way, the buy it now price is $4999, and my reserve is set at $3500 to protect my investment. Happy bidding and don't say I didn't warn you"
  • Options
    LOL

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you certainly aren't going to sell a coin, or any product with descriptions such as
    "The mint made like a billion of these worthless things. The face value is $1 and it contains about $13 worth of silver, but the mint charged me $100 for it. Every idiot and his cousin is hysterical over this garbage but we both know in a year these will be as worthless as everything else the mint produces. By the way, the buy it now price is $4999, and my reserve is set at $3500 to protect my investment. Happy bidding and don't say I didn't warn you"

True; but then again I don't NEED to be told that a 93-s Morgan is a rare coin [which IMO it isn't] or that the Morgan dollar was designed by George Morgan or a 3 paragragh history of the Comstock lode and all that kind of stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file