Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this 1947 Washington Quarter

Here's a pickup from last year that caught my eye. What does the group think about this one?

Comments

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Marks on base of neck, marks on eagles neck,

breast and wing, several spots

on obverse field.Appears to have been

some type of cleaning in field in front of mouth

and neck. Not a bad coin all in all, probably MS-63/64

Magnification will always make marks look like the

Grand Canyon.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Weakly Struck?
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    id say 64, kind of a weak strike but overall a good example
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Yup, BIG pix taken at close range don't do coins any favors, for sure. If you saw the coin's surface under a microscope you'd think you've landed on the Moon.

I second what Bear and the rest have said. Nice coin actually but too much activity to be much higher than a 4 or 5.
    JMHO. image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64 at best
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    This is a trick question. First reaction is to grade it harshly and with that I'm taking the 5th on this one. image

What it IS and what it ought to be we can haggle over all day and night.

If it were a 64 I don't believe he'd be proudly displaying it. image
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it were a 64 I don't believe he'd be proudly displaying it. image >>

That thought crossed my mind. It must be a 65.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how much experience other folks have in the silver issues of Washington quarters, nor do I know how they interpret the images to come to a grade, but I have to be brutally honest and write that I would expect this coin to be in a PCGS MS65 or PCGS MS66 holder as long as there are not things going on with the surfaces of the coin that we cannot see in the images.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks MS64 or so -- too many hits on the neck for a gem.
  • Options
    Ok all, the grade on this one is.....PCGS MS66. It's a MUCH nicer coin in person than the pictures show. If you look closely at the focals of Washington's cheek area you'll see how clean it is in this area despite other hits. The light "haze" on the obverse isn't a fingerprint....I wonder if it is just left over remnants from its mint set? What does the group think? Definitely not previously cleaned...check out the beautiful toning around the rims. Original skin for sure IMHO.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    MS64. Looks like it has nice luster.

dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Washington Quarters have to the ugliest coins I have ever seen. Until this day I do not know why I own a complete set. Of course if miine all looked as nice as this one, I could have a change of heart.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok all, the grade on this one is.....PCGS MS66. . >>

Wow, that's too many hits for a 66.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file