Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Purchase from RCNH

I bought this half for my 1878 Mint Set today from Rare Coins of New Hampshire. I really like the original look and I'm hoping the colors are more vivid than they look in their pics. NGC 55 graded.
Let me know what you think of her.

imageimage
Gary

Comments

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Half! Nice score. The guys at RCNH are good people to deal with.
  • Options
    Nice color on the reverse. SWEET! image
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭
    Looks to be a very nice half dollar and a great purchase.

I think you did very well with the buy. Congrats. image

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Looks great to me.

I received some coins from them this week and I was very pleased as well. image
  • Options
    Love the half. Can't wait to see it in hand!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    That looks really nice. You know it's going to look great in hand.

How far along are you with the 1878 mint set?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    "Sweet"! Congrat's!image
  • Options
  • Options

How far along are you with the 1878 mint set?

kranky, I have 11 of the 28 coins. most are AU with the low being an AU53. there are a couple of coins that I most likely will not be able to own, but that's OK. All part of the fun.

Gary
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin.

Good luck with your set!
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Simply put. Rare Coins of New Hampshire is the best!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice piece, I was debated whether or not to buy that from them last week.
  • Options
    Yeah the guys at RCNH are very nice but they have been unsuccessful in locating a PQ Saint for me for almost two years.
  • Options
    Yeah the guys at RCNH are very nice but they have been unsuccessful in locating a PQ Saint for me for almost two years.

That could becuase the term PQ is so over used these days and few coins meet the true meaning of PQ-

Common Date or Rare date?
  • Options
    BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    Great looking coin Gary Congrats...imageimage
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

1878 Mint Set? When are you going to start your 1878 Proof Set? image
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the looks of that! Congrats!
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah the guys at RCNH are very nice but they have been unsuccessful in locating a PQ Saint for me for almost two years.

That could becuase the term PQ is so over used these days and few coins meet the true meaning of PQ-

Common Date or Rare date? >>

Regardless, when you finally get one that meets Warren's standards, you will have one that will really be "PQ" and reflect that in years to come if it is ever sold.

I had two young guys from a major auction house call over one of the principles, himself, when they heard I had a classic commemorative typeset that has significantly been put together either by RCNH coins themselves or by coins recommended by Warren. The guy made one of the fastest beelines I've ever seen to press his card in my hand as well as ask me to please contact them if I ever wanted to sell.

They know Warren Mills, Jon Rosenthal and Rare Coins of New Hampshire only have, and sell, the very best. Sure, you may have to wait and sometimes a long time but when you get "that call", you also get a super coin.

• Options
    Common date, so you would think that they could find something within two years. They did offer me however three coins, all 66's but none met my criteria of PQ and I passed on them. The first coin they offered me did have clean fields and nice original skin but it had three prominent horizontal cuts on the leg that I just could not overlook. The next two coins they sent were surprisingly mediocre. With Saints, the PQ designation has been overused so much of late that it has little relevance anymore. When I request PQ, I mean by original standards not by today's watered down standards. If I am going to spend $3000+ for a 66 it has to have excellent eye appeal.
  • Options
    I dont really fault RCNH or any other dealer that sent me less that PQ Saints. The fact is that the true PQ 66 examples are locked up in collections or are now in 67 holders. When spectacular 66's do find their way to the dealers they are immediately sent them in and folks like me rarely get a chance to buy one. I am still waiting.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I like your new purchase.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file