Home Sports Talk
Options

Parents - don't do stupid things like this at your kids athletic contests

From a Michigan TV station website:

Webberville father allegedly loses control of his temper at a girls volleyball tournament. Hartland High School athletics officials say a fight broke out Saturday after a volleyball game between Okemos and Fowlerville high schools. Athletic officials say the father attacked a referee after Fowlerville lost the game. The father now faces misdemeanor charges in the assault.

All you do is embarass yourself and your child.

Comments

• Options
    Incidents like this should not be treated as a misdemeanor; they should be treated as felonies given the impact on others (including the victim)

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in TX, that referee likely would have been carrying a concealed weapon...would have been a different headline
  • Options
    Turns out this guy was not only throwing punches at the referee but also a coach, athletic director and two spectators. When the police
    came and tried to get him under control his wife started cursing out the cops.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Turns out this guy was not only throwing punches at the referee but also a coach, athletic director and two spectators. When the police
    came and tried to get him under control his wife started cursing out the cops. >>

That's no surprise. Over the course of the past 13+ years I have worked NUMEROUS High School sporting events. As a rule of thumb, we rarely have any problems with the students (whether ours or theirs). If we do have a problem with a student or students, it's almost always taken care of easily with just a quick chat with them.

Regarding the parents.....they are usually the ones causing problems, cursing, etc.... We've tossed more than one and arrested more than one over the years. If anyone's going to act like a complete moron at an event, my money's on an adult.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This type of incident has become all too common over the past couple of years. It is absolutly ridiculis and unacceptable, parents should be brought on serious monetery fines for such idiotic behavior.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This type of incident has become all too common over the past couple of years. It is absolutly ridiculis and unacceptable, parents should be brought on serious monetery fines for such idiotic behavior. >>

monetary fines? How about something more effective like time in federal, pound-me-in-the-you know what prison? That would do the job.
  • Options
    Parents should be sequestered into soundproof boths and strapped to their seats, thus making the games enjoyable for all image