Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pssst! Wanna see where the US Mint stores its records?

PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭
The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)is responsible for maintaining the records of the U. S. Mint. In Philadelphia, we have a beautiful facility at 9th & Chestnut Streets where there are more records than you have time to research. On my last visit, I received special permission to take photographs. They were kind enough to allow me in the basement where I'm fairly certain few if any visitors have been. (When you request records they retrieve them for you from what appears to be the magic door.)

Through the use of RussVision™ (my Instamatic is at the shop) Mr Compucheap has agreed to post the pictures and I'll add a few comments later. NARA is open to the public every weekday and the second and fourth Saturdays of the month. For a numismatist, it's the holy grail.

Joe
The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The visual tour:

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Thats it just one basement full?

Looks like some nice old relics in there. What is the oldest dated document you found?
  • Options
    Thank you very much!! Love this sort of thing; and not much of this presented here and about!!
    Enjoy each day as though it was your last.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Yes, that's the "magic door" (they got rid of the wardrobe some years ago - kept getting cold drafts out of it), and behind the door is Mike DiBiasi. Your requested files appear as if by magic. The Philly facility is great, but watch out for the genealogical oldsters - they are constantly underfoot and sometimes argue over who can get to a genealogical record. If you toss obsolete Census CDs to them, they will leave you alone.

The Philadelphia collection is about 1/10 the size of the collection in College Park, MD - but still filled with stuff. Most of the legers and files have never been examined in detail, or were last examined 50 years ago.

There are no plans to microfilm/digitize or preserve the material, so when it finally rots - in about 100 yr - the info will be gone.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it moved
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Philly facility is great, but watch out for the genealogical oldsters - they are constantly underfoot and sometimes argue over who can get to a genealogical record. If you toss obsolete Census CDs to them, they will leave you alone. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Besides the Philadelphia Mint records, tons of census, ship manifests, civil war documents, etc. are stored there. It's a great place to research your ancestry, but many of the same tools are online.

RWB: It's MATTHEW.image

Oldest record? I think the ledger in that picture contains the original Articles forming the U.S. Mint in 1792. They just kept adding to it. The page displayed I believe is dated 1796. Seeing original documents signed by Washington, Jefferson and Adams gives you the willys.

That aisle contains just about all of Records Group 104, also known as the Philadelphia Mint records.

The Archives staff still talk about the 2000 ANA convention in Philadelphia. The researchers swarmed the facilty that summer.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

<< <i>There are no plans to microfilm/digitize or preserve the material, so when it finally rots - in about 100 yr - the info will be gone. >>

Seriously?

That would be a shame.

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are no plans to microfilm/digitize or preserve the material, so when it finally rots - in about 100 yr - the info will be gone. >>

Seriously?

That would be a shame. >>

Agreed. While the storage area is temperature and humidity controlled, these documents are 200+ years old and did not enjoy a controlled environment from the beginning. As I recall, the facility's supervisor told me they preserve as the budget allows, but there's nothing in the budget for electronic storage.

Joe
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I have benefited from one of PhillyJoe's forays into the dark underworld of records. I'd love to be able to go down there and search through all Mint correspondence and other obscure records of the "unbekannt geschichte" of the 20 cent piece. Unfortunately I have neither the time nor the proximity to do so. Should I ever get close to actually writing the book I've been working on off and on over the past 6 years, I'll see if I can make arrangements for a family trip to Philly. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭
    Remarkable. Thank you for posting this!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    Joe,
    Thanks for the correction...I keep calling Matthew "Michael"...maybe it's becuse they both contain an "a"...

To find out about the 20-cent piece (or almost ay other coin question, you ahev to check at least Philadelphia and College Park, plus possibly the other NARA facilities in San Bruno, CA, Denver, CO and Fort Worth, TX. Everythign has been "regionalized" to pieces and it can be very tough to piece together the whole story.

shirohniichan - send me a PM about your 20-cent book..might have some info and ideas.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Nice. Just holding those documents must be a treat for a researcher/historian.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>I think it moved >>

Barndog, do you know if it moved to College Park, MD? Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I've been going to a place a block away (9th and Walnut) for years and never noticed it!
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I have been using the National Archives for lots of hobby things, including genealogical research for decades. Everyone should stop into their closest one sometime when convenient just to look around. Of course, it can be overwhelming trying to get your orientation on the first visit. It is especially recommended for people with school age kids (especially if you homeschool). It's free and they can research primary sources that most people don't know even exist.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

JTimage
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have benefited from one of PhillyJoe's forays into the dark underworld of records. I'd love to be able to go down there and search through all Mint correspondence and other obscure records of the "unbekannt geschichte" of the 20 cent piece. Unfortunately I have neither the time nor the proximity to do so. Should I ever get close to actually writing the book I've been working on off and on over the past 6 years, I'll see if I can make arrangements for a family trip to Philly. image >>

I prefer "l'histoire inconnue", after all, there were a lot more French than Germans with connections to the early Mint image

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is seriously cool. image

Thank you, and thanks to Russ as well.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, amazing stuff.

<< <i>Agreed. While the storage area is temperature and humidity controlled, these documents are 200+ years old and did not enjoy a controlled environment from the beginning. As I recall, the facility's supervisor told me they preserve as the budget allows, but there's nothing in the budget for electronic storage. >>

Man, that's a shame. Can't the ANA do something for them to preserve these priceless documents. Like raise money to have them microfilm/digitize.
  • Options
    It takes a lot of money and time to digitize or microfilm documents. This is very hard to automate because many papers are too fragile to handle with automated equipment. Even if ANA diverted the Exec Dir/Legal Counsel’s salary to this, it would take decades to make a dent in the volume. Additionally, the demand for US Mint-related documents is minute compared to military and civil war records, so numismatic stuff is way down the priority list.

When I was researching the designer of the Maine half dollar, the Smithsonian folks were thrilled that I was willing to scan some of the documents and drawings and give them a copy on CDs. They had no money to do this and they knew that some of the originals might not last the decade.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>It takes a lot of money and time to digitize or microfilm documents. This is very hard to automate because many papers are too fragile to handle with automated equipment. >>

Make deadbeats do it for their handout checks. Minimum security prisoners can do it too (and pay them $1/hr not minimum wage). While were at it, do the same for picking lettuce and tame the illegal worker problem. This sort fo thing was done to keep people productive through the Depression. The National Archive got a soundex index of the available census documents that way.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Pssst, wanna buy a duck?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji