Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

South Dakota error

Got thirteen of these in a roll from my bank. Anyone seen or heard of this. Appears to be metal stamped into the coin. Just trying to find out if I should keep them or put them into circulation.

Comments

• Options
    RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137
    I can not see the image.
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • Options
    Here is a better shot.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    still can't see it

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still can't see.....
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    It is not there.

• Options
    nother shot of it
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Would have thought post-Mint damage but you have 13 of them. Looks then significant to set aside and report, probably die damage. Which mint, P or D?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    The scan isn't the best, but based on what I can see,
    I'd say it's a ding/dent, done after the coin was struck.

I can't see anything that say's metal was struck INTO
    that area, and the raised area to the left of the indent
    indicates it was the result of something being pushed
    into the surface of the coin, causing the raised area,
    again, on the left side of it.

Another scan or two would be helpful.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Are all 13 pcs. indented
    in the same area?
  • Options
    2006-d mint. best i can do for a pic for now. all 13 identicle. also have another roll from same bank and the end coin is the same. looks like a raised area with a groove around the circumference. reminds me of a leaf.
  • Options
    should I blow this off and put them in circulation or attempt to get someone look at them to validate that it is a mint error
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    All exactly the same is interesting. Can you image a different one than the one you've shown? That image is good enough at this point. Another one like that but of a different coin would be helpful.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    If all of 'em are identical,
    then it's on the die, in all
    probability.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file