Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How comprehensive is the standard catalog?

I've got tons of items on my Will Clark checklist that are a complete mystery to me. People often refer to and quote from the Standard Catalog (pictured below) when answering questions about odd-ball, test issues and inserts. My question, though, is: just how comprehensive is the catalog?

For instance, I'd *love* to get some info on these issues:

1988 Key Food Discs Will Clark
1989 TV Sports Mailbags Will Clark
1990 Hottest 50 Players Stickers Will Clark
1990 Score McDonald's Will Clark
1990 Giants Smokey Will Clark
1991 Baseball's Best Hit Men Will Clark
1991 Giants Pacific Gas and Electric Will Clark
1991 Giants S.F. Examiner Will Clark
1992 High 5 Will Clark
1992 High 5 Superstars Will Clark
1992 High 5 Superstars High 5 Superstar-(Part of Will Clark-5x7 Portrait)
1992 Carol Wright Proofs Will Clark

Are those issues that will be covered in the Standard Catalog? What about distinguishing between all the modern parallel and insert cards? I've got a ton of post 1997 stuff that is all a mystery to me. I can make an educated guess (based on my Beckett list) but I'd really like to know more about some of these inserts and parallels.

So, should I order the book?

Comments

• Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    I recommend it and buy it every year which is a little obsessive. Amazon should have it for a decent price.

per 2007 SCD;

'88 KF Disk $.50

'90 Mcdonalds $1.25

'92 High 5 $.30

'92 High 5 (prototype) $1.50

On second thought... You may want to hold off on the book. Though there is a used on @ Amazon for $24;

scd
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    It's a great reference and I'd recommend buying it. It will NOT answer all of your questions, and it does NOT list every card ever made. Bob Lemke (longtime editor, retired recently) has said publically that they make decisions every year on which sets to not list. Use this board, the SCD book, the Beckett book, your collection, other Clark Collectors, other player collectors of the same era, oddball collectors, dealers, google, old Beckett monthlies, and any other resource you can get your hands on and you'll knock those mysteries down 1 by 1.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. I'm actually more interested in the info about the sets than the values. I'd like to know how some of these sets were distributed and why they're so difficult to find. Does the catalog have that sort of information?
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd like to know how some of these sets were distributed and why they're so difficult to find. Does the catalog have that sort of information? >>

No. Maybe for some of the pre-1981 stuff, but very few writeups on newer cards.

I'd still recommend getting it. Not having it is like being a devout Christian and not owning a Bible.
  • I think you only need to pick it up every year if you collect new cards. I get a new one every couple years as ALMOST all the stuff I collect is already in there. It's a good reference.

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Hello to all,

I agree that it is a great reference and for the vintage stuff, you don't need to buy it too often since that area in the book seldom changes (except for prices which are not realistic to begin with)... if anyone would like a reference copy, I have a 2000 & 2002 version availabe for free (just pay the shipping via Paypal)-PM or email me.

Mike
    sfmays24@hotmail.com
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I like Beckett's Baseball Collectable Almanic better than the Standard Catalog. The info on each set was more interesting.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "I like Beckett's Baseball Collectable Almanic better than the Standard Catalog. "

///////////////////////////////////////

MANY folks agree.

In any event, you do not need new copies of these books.
    The old ones are just as good; unless you have to have
    info on late 1990s/later material.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • I've got the Beckett issue, but I noticed something--I only buy it once every 10 years, so this is my second edition. The first one I bought seemed to have more detailed write-ups than the new one, possibly because there's so many new sets to list they have to save on space. Perhaps the older version (which is cheaper) would be a better bet?