Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this a good win on EBAY?

I won a 1980-81 O-Pee-Chee Hockey Set(Messier RC and Bourque RC, Gretzky 2nd Year)("near-mint") for $262. According to Tuff Stuff, it's worth $625 but I know, sometimes Tuff Stuff prices are inflated. Should I,(a) resell it for $400,$500,$600?,(b) keep it, it could be worth more in the future or(c) stick to my game plan on ebay, sell for 10% higher than my final cost to buy it??

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I'd wait until tax season gets into full bloom. Potential buyers will (might ) have more disposible income. If it were me, I'd make a desision then. Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    A quick review of completed auctions for 1980-81 OPC sets shows prices from $200 to $400. So u might be able to resell it for $400, but that was the outlier on the auction results. Of the four completed auctions, three were for less than the $262 you paid. Everyone claims nrmt, so I don't know.

Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    If you're itching to flip, waiting for tax check season isn't a bad suggestion... especially since that'd give you time to get those key cards graded.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    Yep, that's what I was thinking. Grade the Messier, Ray Bourque and the Gretzky and then sell for higher. Thanks for the advice guys!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'd wait until you have the set in hand before getting to excited about grading the stars and flipping the set for a profit. My track record with buying 'near mint' OPC sets on Ebay has been spotty at best.
  • Options
    I hear ya Boo, I already won a 1979 Topps Baseball set on there which the seller said was near mint and the Ozzie Smith was a "solid one" but it was way off center, I'd be lucky to get a 7 from PSA. A few other commons had creases in them. As for this O-Pee-Chee set, if the main cards look like they could be 9's or 10's, I'll send them out, if not I'll just resell the set as is.
  • Options
    I hear ya Boo, I already won a 1979 Topps Baseball set on there which the seller said was near mint and the Ozzie Smith was a "solid one" but it was way off center, I'd be lucky to get a 7 from PSA. A few other commons had creases in them. As for this O-Pee-Chee set, if the main cards look like they could be 9's or 10's, I'll send them out, if not I'll just resell the set as is.

You mind me asking what the '79 set you back?

I just busted two rack boxes and three vending.

Should probably sell off the doubles.
    NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    I won it for $112.50, in Beckett a near mint set goes for $175. Getting a well-centered Ozzie Smith RC is the challenge of that set.