Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My dream is coming true...now I need your help! UPDATE #3...Cheaper Cards

Okay, last night my wife and I were sorting through my cards and I told her that I really wanted to do a show someday, but really didn't have the cash to do it right now. So, what did she do, she called up the next show promoter and got me two tables. It's in two weeks!!!! It's my first show and I'm really excited about it. But, since I've not done one I don't really know how to act or what to really sell. That's where you all come into play.
I know some of you have done shows before and some haven't. I know that everyone here has been to at least one show that I've talked with. What should I do? I need some healthy tips on conversation, selling methods, etc. Any help would be fantastic. Here's your chance to shape and mold me into the perfect show dude. Take all the crap that you've learned and help me. PLEASE!!!! image

Comments

• Options
    Two major things to remember. Have a good variety of cards and oddball items (Yearbooks, programs, tickets or what ever), and remember everyone is a potential customer. Live by those two rules and you cant go wrong....
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Wow, what a great wife! 2 tables at 6 feet or 8 feet each?
    Regardless, that's a lot of space/room. I'm not sure what you collect or sell Guru, but when I did shows 15 years ago; presentation is key. Hope you have several display cases for your more expensive items. Be courteous, attentive, and smile. These won't cost you anything. Good luck!
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Always remember never judge a book by its cover
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    ....but masta, does not the fire need water to?

does not the mountain need the storm?

does not your scrotum need kicking?

Sorry Guru, I watched too much Beavis and Butthead.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I've never sold my cards at a show so I'd just say this from a buyer's perspective: I always appreciate items having a price listed on them. I know that's a lot of work for sellers, but it gives me an idea if I even want to consider buying the item. For those of that don't feel comfortable haggling (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) it's a nice feature. It's kinda the CarMax approach to selling cards, I guess.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Be professional,helpful and organized.No matter what you sell these 3 things are keys.Be as engaging as possible.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will take way more time to organize than you think - don't wait till the night before.

Things that help:

1. Get those little circular stickems - mark everything with a price - makes many crazy when there's no price.

2. Make sure you have change available and perhaps small bags - the ones from the supermarket that you save are fine.

3. Have a junk box (800 ct.) - ya know - all cards a buck - 6 or 7 for 5 bucks - of course containing cards that book in the 3 to 10 buck range a piece - the ones ya never want to see again! Give these cards their own color - so they won't get mixed up with other stuff.

4. Borrow a display case from someone - you can keep your nice cards in there.

5. Make sure ya have a box with a ruler, pens, pad, loupe etc. and bring a price guide.

6. If ya got some sets ya wanna get rid of - have a "sale list" displayed - ya can get standup holders at officemax e.g. Print the list off your microword - large and bold!

Just be yourself - unless your name is RichG - then don't!

Be friendly - look concerned - be courteous - stand up when someone approaches you.

Don't be disappointed if ya don't sell a ton of stuff - everyone will have the same stuff.

If ya got ODDball stuff - bring it! And make sure people know ya have it.

Just some ideas
    mike

Mike
  • Options
    I've done 2 shows. Some good points have already been listed. Some I may repeat other than the givens like display cases, etc.

** Never think something won't sell, you'd be amazed.

** Have a .25 box as well as a $1 box, in the .25 box have items that book anywhere from .50-$2.00/2.50

** Bring an extra chair for yourself or a customer

** Bring lunch/snacks and drinks

** Windex to clean up the glass on the display cases

** Plenty of plastic cases in case you purchase cards or for a buyer maybe

** Bring a wide variety as you could be asked if you have cards you've never, EVER heard of

** ALWAYS be prepared to be asked how much cards are worth, especially a Mantle rookie
  • Options
    I third (or fourth) the motion to price everything. If you're busy having a conversation with someone, and the table is busy, customers might not wait too long to ask you prices on every single item. And after a while, even you might forget what you wanted to charge for items, so marking them all is best.

The only other thing I would add is to bring business cards, and put what you sell and what you collect on them, to make new contacts!

My first show--I was about 17, and I didn't realize how huge one of those "small" tables was. I could barely fill it with my inventory and I thought I had a lot of cards to sell. I sold mostly wax packs and singles--and before the day was up I had sold most of it. But the best part was getting contacts for adding to my collection later. I think I spent every dime I made there. Be prepared for some losses too--"shrinkage" or "theft" or whatever. It wasn't too bad when I did it, but I remember realizing a few cards were gone that I know I didn't sell.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Dress the part.
  • Options
    Does that mean "dress up" or "dress down", seriously, what are your thoughts RedHeart54?
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Shorts, an Iverson jersey, flip flops and sunglasses.
    Can't miss.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does that mean "dress up" or "dress down", seriously, what are your thoughts RedHeart54? >>

He means, dont shower or shave for 5 days prior. Dump beer or your choice of alcohol down your chest and rub in well. Dont brush or floss and eat plenty of garlic.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, make sure to spit a little bit when you talk.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be willing to negotiate especially if the buyer is interested in several items.
    James
  • Options
    If someone wants something you dont have, help them find it. They'll remember the service and it may keep them at your table longer.
  • Options
    Don't tend to your customers while eating a double cheeseburger.

• Options
    Don't put food or drinks on your display cases. Don't look sloppy, but don't look like you are going to a wedding either. Appear organized even if you aren't.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Don't hover over a customer who's looking at your stuff. Let him look. He'll ask you about the item if he's interested. Maybe that's just me.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    When pricing your cards and when negotiating selling price with potential buyers, always consider what you spent on the card...not just what the book value is. I recommend making up a spread sheet that lists what you paid for the card, what "book" value is, and your lowest that you are willing to sell for. Consider selling your cards for less than book...your giving a good deal...as long as your making money on the card. I am not recommending giving away your cards, but find the price point that you need to sell card to make you happy. For example, on the spreadsheet, you list a Johnny Unitas rookie.. you paid $225 for it....it books for 300-450...list the price that you are not willing to go lower..maybe $275. Also know your product.....since most collectors are ebayers, scavenge ebay to know what the cards you own have sold for recently. I also recommend putting a sign up that says what you are buying. Buying 1960's football etc. Be careful of buying everything that is brought to your table....its hard to resist temptation. Also, be wary of veteran dealers who will come to your table, often before the show opens to "cherry pick" the best cards from the new guy. I remember my first show, I was so excited just to make my first sale...then I realized later the card ended up on another dealers table for much more money then I sold it for. I also reccomend having a partner to help you..to watch your table when you need to leave, to help guard from theft etc. It's also good to walk the floor early in the show to see what your competition has to offer...if you have something unique...display it. And finally, if you have access to an attractive female....she will attract prospective buyers like bees to honey! Hope this helps...Good Luck!
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    DON"T open a box of cards until you hit the autographed card in the box and then put the other packs up for sale! (a guy recently did this at a card show I was just at). I was actually thinking about buying stuff he was opening and a few singles. I couldn't believe it! I politely walked away. It is also good to have a wide variety of packs for sale. Most of the stuff I saw at the recent show I was at was either vastly overpriced or was very poor selection. I also appreciate good organization....either by set or by player. I was looking to fill some insert sets and it was basically pointless. I also agree with the guys above as far pricing. Either have the cards priced individually or have them in a $10/$20 box along with some lower priced ones too. I just like to look and know what I'm paying for something. Don't be afraid to haggle a price either. It stinks when a high price is put on a card and the seller just says...."that's what it books for"
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    For Pete's sake, put prices on your stuff. I HATE having to ask about each and every card I am interested in.

And don't be this dealer:

Me: "How much for this card?"
    Dealer: "$100"
    Me: (thinking to myself that's way over priced), "ok thanks".

Twelve seconds later...

Me: "How much do you want for the xxx?
    Dealer: "$225"
    Dealer: " Would you like to look at it?"
    Me: (KNOWing that it is way overpriced) "No, that's ok"
    Dealer: (thinks to himself this guy is a loser w/o any money)
    Me: (I think to myself that this dealer needs to learn about a litttle thing called the internet)

Me: walks away....

If you want to sell your cards ----- put realistic prices on your cards. If you want to "show off" your cards, put high prices on them. Folks at shows expect to pay a slight premium for the luxury of inspecting the cards in person before buying - but that does not mean that something that sells on ebay for $10 each and every day of the week can be priced at $40 at your table and expect to sell. I chuckle everytime I walk by the same dealers table YEAR AFTER YEAR and I can spot the same freakin cards on his table each and every time. THAT, my friend, is a joke.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I would say there are two things which you may have trouble dealing with, but which you need to be prepared to handle.

1) Be prepared to politely handle aggressive lowballers. If you are 'new' at the show then the guys who routinely show up as customers will notice this, and there's a good chance one or more of them will think you're just a collector who's looking to get out of the racket. With this in mind they may offer you some outrageously low price on all your stuff. Don't get pissy or offended-- just calmly thank them for the offer and decline it.

2) You will likely have stuff stolen from you. I know VERY few dealers who, at the end of a show, can account for every missing card with a corresponding sale. It's just a fact of life for most dealers, and you have to get used to it.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    --dont set your expectations too high. i have heard numerous times dealers complaining that they did less than $100 in sales for a 1 day show. some even have zero sales. so enjoy the experience and comraderie.

--price your items! this is much better than making someone ask.

--i personally dont like it when a dealer quotes me book. i dont care what a book says. for example.."well it books for $100, so i will take $80". i automatically think, luckily for me it didnt book at 5 million or i would be in real trouble. i lose interest when a dealer starts rifling thru a price guide.

--dont act like a customer is annoying or bothering you. they are your bread and butter.

--dont be nervous..its supposed to be fun.

--everyone naturally feels that their cards are better or more valuable than the next. that just cant be. price things reasonably.

--ebay is not a secret so people will probably expect to pay just alittle over what they can get it for there.

--oddball items

--be approachable.... people are drawn toward nice people. they feel safe, i.e. unguarded. they wont think that you are trying to get one over on them.

--bringing bags is helpful

--many times the most valuable thing you can get out of doing a show is the contacts and relations you make with other people.

--keep your more valuable items in the most secure area because of stealing, i.e. using a showcase.

--unless the item is a high demand are very rare, 50 percent guide is typically plenty high enough. if you immediately quote high, a customer will most likely keep going assuming you are high on everything. this does not apply to high demand items such as tobacco, caramel, 19th century, top modern rcs, etc.

----as ridiculous as it sounds, hot chicks behind your table will help. people like nice things to look at. lucky i think they charge hourly, but i believe they are a few hundred bucks per hour, so you may want to wait for the national before that kind of commitment. the downside is that the wifey probably wont appreciate that. lol.. joking aside, you may want to ask your wife if she may be interested in going with you.

--if possible do the show with someone else. makes it alot easier for taking a break, walking around, etc.

--junk boxes are probably a real good idea. i always see people looking thru them. probably 50 cent or $1 or $2 price point.

--bring low bills and a roll or 2 of quarters if selling low end items.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    You have gotten alot of good suggestions.

One of the most important things - especially at your first show -
    is to have a partner behind the table with you. If you can get a
    chick to help, that is best. (As previously suggested.)

Eating behind the table makes you look really silly. Try not to do it.

You are not obligated to "bid against yourself" when you are at a
    show. When someone asks what the least you'll take is, do not be
    afraid to ask what the most they'll pay is. If you feel compelled to
    cut prices, do so slowly because your first cut will be countered by
    the customer, 95% of the time.

Oddball stuff is critical. Even non-serious collectors like to buy it.

Giving away junk packs to the kids is the key to papa's wallet.

Make sure you give out biz-cards to folks who claim they have "an
    attic full of gramps' old cards." Most are fos, but every now and then
    one will call you, and you will have a chance to score well.

Try to look busy behind the table, but stop what you are doing when
    somebody comes to the table. Everybody should get at least a very
    polite, "If you have any questions, please ask."

If you can accept credit cards, it is a good thing. PayPal also has a
    cell-phone scheme, but I have no idea how many folks are signed up.
    Know where the ATM's are so you can discourage checks, if you do not
    want to take them.

Keep your cash in your pocket; or, in the pocket of your partner.

If you are one of the few selling graded-cards, do not be in a hurry to
    cut prices to deeply. Be sure you have your pitch down about how "all
    PSA 8s are not created equal;" this will often result in sales when your
    card is priced higher than another seller's.

If you are chewing gum, make sure you offer a stick to your potential
    customer. Do not let people see you smoke cigarettes.

Try to make sure that your first looker becomes your first buyer.
    It is bad luck to allow the first fish of the day to escape, and it is
    good luck to catch him.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Here are my thoughts

1. Try to price everything. This makes a world of difference plus if you do another show, the work of prcing is already done.

2. Dear God don't eat at your table if you can help it. Nothing says buy me then Nachos and chilli fries all over the tops of a showcase.

3. As sad as it sounds, hygeine is important and so are clothes that have no holes.

4. Being nice to everyone is important. You never know the person in jeans and a tshirt could be the one to drop a couple grand at your table while the person dressed up wants 5 cards for a dollar from your junk box instead of paying 4 for a dollar.

5. Have everything organized in some way.

6. Don't except to become a millionaire.

Paul
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just be yourself - unless your name is RichG - then don't! >>

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    If you do make grab bags/boxes, be sure to keep the sports seperate. That is, have seperate baseball, football, basketball, hockey, badmittion, whatever the case may be. Even those that do collect multiple sports will still probably focus more on one sport than the others.

And if you happen to have any wax packs (even and especially junk wax), bring it! You'd be amazed at how younger collectors will appreciate being able to buy packs of cards (that are likely older than they are) for pocket change.

Good luck! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Dont wolf down greasy fastfood while telling customers you will take %20 off prices that are already too high.

Especially if you have pickle in your teeth.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    He means, dont shower or shave for 5 days prior. Dump beer or your choice of alcohol down your chest and rub in well. Dont brush or floss and eat plenty of garlic.

This describes ALOT of customers at shows...although not alot of dealers.....but you forgot to add: Put on your favorite Nascar drivers coat and hat too!!

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of great advice on this thread. The one I would disagree with is hiring a convention girl. When I see that, I think to myself "self, this dealer is more interested in appearances than his cards. He's going to have to charge more for the same card to pay for this girl. He doesn't have that strong of an inventory, or he wouldn't have to resort to cheap tactics. That girl likely doesn't know cards, so there's one fewer person behind the table that can answer my questions. Keep walking." Maybe it will work on some guys, but it will backfire on others.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    On attire, what I like to see is jeans or khakis and a tucked in polo or button-down shirt. That tells me the guy is a professional and probably takes good care of his cards, but he's not so proud of them that he'll try to gouge me.

Joe
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Bring an extra stash of money because you never know if that Mr Mint find comes though the door....It may change your life!!!!!
  • Options
    spazzy has a point that I like to consider:

It's your 1st time at a show....don't set your expectations too high. You will see a trend of people coming into the show and going straight to tables that they are used to dealing with! You're going to have to make your own niche if you're going to keep doing shows.

But treat everyone like you want to be treated.

But as for buying.....keep some $$$$ in your pocket.....some of my best shows have been when I sold only $100-$200 worth of cards...but spent $1500 before I left. If the shows a bust...it's usually a bust for everyone...dealers and customers as well.....be prepaired to spend.

And if anyone asks if you're buying...just simply say.."I'm always interested in looking!!"
    Ity may be stuff that you have no interest in.....you might get the surprise of a lifetime!!
    And don't be affraid to ask..."What would you want for the whole box?"

Sometimes it might surprise you what people are willing to let stuff go for.

Just treat everyone like you want them to come back to your table at the next show!! And unlike 80% of all dealers...don't sit there and b*tch about the current state of the market and how much the internet is killing shows....be 100% positive and have good conversations......if you're upbeat...the customers will be too.

After all...who want to buy from a Doubting Thomas??
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    AlanAllen-- i was kidding about the call girl, or convention girl as you call it.
  • Options
    I've seen dealers do that, though. Usually companies like Naxcom, but sometimes individual dealers. Card shows are not car shows image

Joe
  • Options
    I'd did a lot of shows many years ago. I started when I was still in high school and quickly learned the tools of the trade. I no longer do shows but may reconsider down the road. Here is a list of suggestions that worked for me:

1: Keep the table clean and organized. Presentation can make the sale. There is a reason Kmart went downhill. Simple stuff like not mxing baseball with football, keeping the cards straight and the case and table always full. If a card sells find a new one to fill the hole.
    2: Price most stuff but don't be afraid to skip tags on some cards. If the card is hard to find the customer will ask and that might be what you need to break the ice from time to time.
    3: Bargain bins! People love plowing through this stuff. There were days where most of my sales came from them... Cards that book for a few bucks in a 50 cent box. You may want a quarter box, 50 cent box, and a dollar box and you should have space with two tables. Don't be shy. Move that junk.
    4: Local team/heroes: Always good sellers. I'm still amazed how many Minnesota dealers don't display much Twins stuff
    5: Consider having a box sorted alphabetically by player. Each card should be in a sleeve to prevent dings. This was a popular item at my tables.
    6. Bring everything you can and display as much as you can.
    7: Display the more expenive cards in back of the table and preferable in a case. This will prevent one of the most popular methods of theft: "the side".
    8: Consider grab bags. I don't know how well they sell now but I used to sell a ton of them but mine were probably better than most as I guaranteed a star card and had other "inserts". Kids (and some adults) loved them. Some dealers have a dice roll but it looks tacky to me and could technically be illegal in some states.
    9: Buy/Trade: Yow will inevitably get someone offering to sell or trade. Can't hurt to at least look. Even if a kid had the biggest pile of crap I'd try and find one or two cards to trade for to make him feel good and to be first in line should he come back the next month with something more nice. Every dealer has his own price point and negotiation tactics. I was always pretty tight buying which either led to a better price, a trade, a no deal. I was there to make money and not to give it all away easily.
    10: Find a nitch, especially if you will set up at the show on a regular basis.
    11: If setting up on a regular basis you will probably need a state sales tax id number.
    12: Courtesy. Simple hello, how's it going?, and thank you go a long way.

You may also consider some freebie items.
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, I hope you have a fun and learning experience at your first card show. I've always wanted to do that as well but have never gotten around to it - I'm not sure if I could put up enough things that I'm willing to get rid of! Anyways, good luck!

- Joe
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I have done a lot of shows, most are smaller mall shows like 20-30 tables. I seldom put my selling price on my higher end stuff in my showcase. I will sometimes put the book price on everything, using nice uniform computer labels and then put a sign on the box or showcase of 80% off or $5 each. If someone looks in my showcase i tell them that if they are interested in anything that I can discount the price. I usually wear jeans and a polo or maybe a jersey. I am a college guy so I can usually talk a soccer mom or houswife into a decent sale.

This thread is pretty interesting, I like to get an idea of what buyers look for in a dealer's table. If you have never been to a show it will be a learning experience so don't be discouraged if you don't make a mint.

The only other advice I might add is,

-Take a couple of nice cards in your collection and put them in the top of your showcase to attract attention. At these smaller shows most people just like to see these cards and even if your price is high they won't be scared away from your table. It is like the one big luxury car in the middle of the showroom, everyone wants to look, but they arn't gonna buy. I have had groups of 4-5 kids come running to see the Namath or Jordan Rookie in my case and they skip all the other dealers and buy mostly from me, all low end stuff that adds up fast. I price these high enough so that if someone actually threw down the cash I could snag another on eBay (maybe an upgrade) and pocket some. I have also had some killer trades on these big cards just cause a collector had to have a Mantle.

-If you have any girls 11-15 stop at your table, just ask them if they are looking for Derek Jeter or Alex Rodriguez cards cause 95% of the time it will be one of the two. The other 5% will be Chipper Jones or Tom Brady.
  • Options
    Wow! What can I say. Thanks everyone for the awesome advice. I'm pretty nervous about this. The emotion of excitement in doing my first show is fading into nervousness. I wish some of you guys could be there with me to help guide. I went to my local store and talked to the owner who I buy a ton of stuff from. He gave me some official Topps merch. bags to use. He didn't have any display cases, so I guess I'm gonna have to make my own which will be interesting. I'm in the process of getting this all together. I'm really excited. My wife has really helped out a lot and she'll be there for the whole day with me. My family is also coming out to hang for a bit. Just my dad and uncle. Then I have a couple of friends who are paying me some $ to rent space on the tables to sell some of their stuff. So, that's cover some cost of the tables since I probably won't be able to fill up both of them.
    I'm just really nervous. I copied and pasted the comments from here onto Word to print out to read and go over. You all should teach a course at PSA University or something! image Well, anyway, thank you for the advice and if anyone else has anything to say, please do. I'll keep you all posted. It's weird, I really feel like you all are pulling for me. Thanks everyone!

Chris
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 9:06PM
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "He didn't have any display cases, so I guess I'm gonna have to make my own which will be interesting. "

/////////////////////////////

IMO, that is a waste of of your time.

If you are going to do shows, you need Allstate cases.
    You can buy them on EBAY for cheap. You should have
    at least two, but one is better than none.

Most, but not all, venues will rent you the cases, but after
    a couple of shows the rent-money could have bought your
    own.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Make sure you report back on how you did! Good luck!
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i> It's weird, I really feel like you all are pulling for me. Thanks everyone! >>

imageimage

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree you must have display cases. also, the venue may require a tax id number as well. good luck though it can be fun.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Chris,

Before you go building cases....think about a couple of sheets of plastic...or lexan say 3X2....you can put your expensive cards under there and they are protected...and customers won't be able to grab at them.

Then if someone wants to see one..all you have to do is lift YOUR side of it!!

Plus if anyone wants to show you stuff....you will still have a flat surface on the table.

Trust me....the 2 tables can fill up quick!!

I have 2- 8ft tables at our local show..and a 1/2 table in back. I use 5 show cases which get filled with graded and higher end cards. By the time I'm done with those...there's little room for much else. I always have more under the table than on it!! lol

To the point where my good customers come over and ask to see the "new" stuff...or "what's under the table"......

Go with the sheet of lexan though....cheap..easy to repack...and IF you build a case in the future...you can always build it to whatever size sheet you get!!
  • Options

<< <i>I agree you must have display cases. also, the venue may require a tax id number as well. good luck though it can be fun.

steve >>

That's very true Steve - some will sell you a temporary ID - to set up if it's a problem I believe - depends on the state I would guess.

On the display cases...

IT'S a MUST!

Not just for display purposes - but it's the only way to safeguard nicer cards. Otherwise, one is laying them down on the table and things will walk.

I have seen people lay a bunch of cards down and put a large piece of Plexiglass over them - that way no one can touch them - and you have to lift the glass to take something from underneath.

If ya just lay a bunch of stuff on top of the table - who knows how much stuff will walk?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Okay, here's the problem, can't afford these really nice display cases. I looked online and found a lot, but all for a huge amount of money that I don't have. So, any alternative ideas out there?

Also, here's a few idea's I had myself. Tell me what you think-

1. I have tons of wax. So, put an unopened pack in everyone's bag.

2. Have a contest for a great card of some sort. Have anyone who buys like $5 or more put there name and email on a piece of paper and drop it in a box. At the end of the day draw the name and contact them to send them the card. Thought this might drive incentive to buy.

3. My wife is going, but she doesn't know much about baseball. Should someone else come with us?

4. Set of St. Louis since they won the series.

5. Put a different colored sticker on each toploader that corresponds with a printed and displayed price. (Other than what's in the junk pile or grab bags)

That's about all for now. But any help about displays would be great and any opininons on these ideas would be great. Thanks!

Guru
  • Options
    Guru

Call the guy who's running the show and ask if he can help you borrow/rent a few display cabinets for the day. He may know someone who's not setting up and bring them to the show.

If not - head out to a flea market and ask around - ya never know - someone may be selling they're displays?

Head out to hobbylobby and see what they have?

Last resort? Like I said - an inexpensive large piece of plexiglass to place over items - I've seen it done.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Chris,
    It's totally natural to be nervous for the first time. Just relax, and after
    your first sale, you will feel better. As mentioned, be friendly, get your
    show cases, and make sure your cases open up on your end! I find that
    placing the higher end cards toward your customers works best. Because
    1. That is the place most buyers look first, and 2. The card is in a more
    "secure" place. And most importantly, have FUN!!

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options

<< <i>Always remember never judge a book by its cover >>

agreed, you never know who will buy big time items from you...

I get overlooked many of times because im 19 when I likely would be some of the sellers biggest customers, be nice to everyone, ask how they are doing, goes a long way, also try to price items close to or below ebay, a lot of buyers will be willing to buy a lot if prices are fair.