Home Sports Talk
Options

Cowboys coaching news - Norv Turner?

From SI:

ITEM: It's looking like Norv Turner's the leader in the clubhouse for the Dallas head coaching job.

I wrote this a few days ago, and it may come to fruition in the next couple of days: Turner coaching the Cowboys, with a pair of fresh faces coordinating each side of the ball -- Jason Garrett, 40, on offense, and Todd Bowles, 43, on defense. I also heard Sunday night there's a chance the Cowboys would bring Dave Campo back for another stint as defensive coordinator, but I still think Bowles makes more sense. Everything's still up in the air, because Turner was interviewing with the club Sunday night, this after he had met with Bill Parcells earlier in the day to pick his brain about the talent in-house. But Jerry Jones plans to go to the Super Bowl on Thursday morning and would like to have his head coach in place by then. Something could happen as soon as today.

A couple of issues. Why the relatively unsuccessful Turner for his third head-coaching post instead of giving it to a fresh face? Well, Jones knows Turner well, and he knows Turner can work well within the restrictions that a Dallas head coach has to work. In other words, Jones is going to have the final say on players and on draft day. Turner has lived this before, and he's fine with it.

Plus, Cowboys kitchen cabinet member Troy Aikman thinks Turner's the best tutor he ever had, and Jones wants to be sure Tony Romo has excellent training for the short- and long-term. Turner and Aikman's former backup, Garrett, give Dallas the best available quarterback-teaching option out there right now.

Moreover, Dallas loves Garrett and the idea that he could be Turner's successor one, two or three years down the road. By naming Garrett the head coach, the Cowboys run the risk that he could get away to another head-coaching job after the 2007 season -- if the Cowboys have a successful season and the league continues to go in the direction of coaching youth. That's a risk they're apparently willing to take. I say apparently because no final decision had been made inside the organization as of Sunday night.

ITEM: Jason Garrett's hot. I don't mean that kind of hot, ladies. I mean, there's significant interest in him. I'm told the Cowboys were fairly blown away by his presence during his interview there, including his response when the Cowboys asked if he could he be tough enough as their leader, given that he was so recently a player. Garrett has served only two seasons as an assistant coach, with Miami the last two years. His basic message to the Cowboys was, "When I met with my quarterbacks in Miami, the first thing out of my mouth was, 'I'm not your friend. I'm a resource for you.' The guys I've been most disappointed in in my life are the coaches who didn't make me the best I could be.''

I'm told Jones was extremely impressed with Garrett and felt he had to have him in some capacity after his interview was finished, and that's how he ended up being announced as at least the offensive coordinator before the coaching search was finished.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just e-mailed Jerry Jones telling him I am a big Dallas Cowboys fan and to please hire Norv Turner.

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    No smack intended - the Cowboys first need to release owens if they are going to get better.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just e-mailed Jerry Jones telling him I am a big Dallas Cowboys fan and to please hire Norv Turner.

image >>

image That is funny Steve image

6-10 here we come image

Turner is a good o-coordinator, not a head coach
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's the last decent coach the Redskins had though, with apologies to Joe Gibbs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    We want Norv! We want Norv! We want Norv!
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Norv's drafts/personnel moves with the 'Skins weren't too impressive. He's not a personnel guy...neither is Jerry. Now they're supposedly bringing back Larry Lacewell (one of the lumpheads who helped spearhead all those crappy drafts after Jimmy left). All this spells disaster to me. I don't see Dallas being a serious contender again until Jerry Jones is below ground (or relinquishes his role as the gm - which basically means the same thing).
  • Options
    Norv Norv Norv, Turner Turner Turner! Yea!