Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Larry Fritsch Cards - 1970's Sets?

Has anyone ever bought any of his sets (1973 to 1976) to get the cards graded? His prices seem a little high, but he states that the sets were purchased directly from Topps in the given year and stored in his warehouse...virtually never touched. Sounds like the cards should be in incredible condition, except for centering.

Comments

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i would bet they will be ex-nm in overall condition. they had to sort the cards to make the sets.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    His 70's sets do look fresh out of the pack. I think they are overpriced, but I believe they are as he says they are. The problem is, "fresh out of the pack" for 1970's issues means ex-mint to nm, because of centering and print problems. There might be a few gems in there, but I think it would save you money if you just bought vending lots and pieced together your own set.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I've bought each of the sets from 1973 to 1979 off of Larry. If you don't mind off-centered cards (which was typical for those years), these sets can't be beat. There might be a few cards with corner issues, but for the most part, the cards will have nice gloss, nm-mint corners, and mixed centering. I've certainly gotten my share of cards out of these sets that would grade mint (with ease).

That said, I wouldn't recommend buying a single set and expecting to grade the whole thing. On the flip side, if you bought ten of his sets from one year, I bet you could put one phenomenal set together.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I bought an "untouched by human hands" 1969 Topps football set from Fritsch a few years ago. It took months to arrive--no exaggeration--and the entire second series was well-worn. They refunded my money, but I would never go back there.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    As far as I am concerned larry and jr. can keep all the cards.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought an "untouched by human hands" 1969 Topps football set from Fritsch a few years ago. It took months to arrive--no exaggeration--and the entire second series was well-worn. They refunded my money, but I would never go back there. >>

Well they had to train the chimps to ship it image
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Last year I bought two 1970 Topps Football Super sets from Fritsch.
    They were 'pack fresh' however more than half of the cards had gum stains or surface imprints from the gum on them. A few had tears along the borders too rendering them ungradeable. Out of the 70 cards in the 2 sets, maybe 10 were gradeable. Not a great experience. The sets did arive quickly though and pretty well packed.

Also, right after I bought the two sets, he jacked up the price of them to their current levels. I think he increased the price by $100 or $125 per set. I wonder if his supply is/was dwindling on them. I doubt it.....

Rich
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Ordered once from them, grossly overgraded, returned the item. Won't bother ordering from them again.
    I see they've started listing reprint sets on ebay, but neglect to mention they are reprints. Buyer beware.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I see they've started listing reprint sets on ebay, but neglect to mention they are reprints. Buyer beware. >>

That drives me out of my f$*@&amp;@ gourd! I don't know how many times I've clicked on the Lake to Lake Braves set, only to have my blood pressure triple when I see who's listing it. image
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Back when Bonds was on his tear my cousin bought 2 86 Topps Traded sets from them. When he got them they had been opened and the Bonds cards put in a semi rigid. The only problem was that they werent in the best of condition. I wonder how many sets they cherry picked through to find gem Bonds.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    can someone post a picture of the Fritsch brothers??
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think they are a father and son team fandango

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>can someone post a picture of the Fritsch brothers?? >>

Here's the whole family:

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    Massively overpriced for what you get. I bought some stuff from them 15 years ago, and from the other poster's here, it sounds as if nothing has changed.

Miscut cards, gum stains, wax stains, etc.

Yeah, they'll be some mint cards in there, but I can almost guarantee you there won't be mint 'star' cards in there.

At the time also, I got sets with shoddy packaging - nothing to cushion the cards (not even paper to take up the extra space in the boxes), so they were bouncing around in the boxes, etc. - completely unprofessional for a company that has been around for decades and markets itself as a hobby leader.

Once was enough for me.... I honestly wouldn't take a chance on them even if they were offering stuff at 50% off.....

Collecting my sports heroes, Roger Staubach and Kirby Puckett.