Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The official "Small Sets" Registry Thread....

Thought I would start this thread because there are MANY MANY small sets out there and people working on them. My small set is the 1980 Laughlin Famous Feats Set. I currently have 17 PSA 10's and still working hard on the rest! There aren't many graded so most of these submissions have been my own.

I do have to thank Michael Clum. I don't know if he is ever on the PSA boards but we worked out a wonderful trade beneficial to both of us.

Here is an example of one of my cards. I will post them all when I have time.

I think the next small set I will do is the 1968 Topps Game Insert Set. I have always liked that one and fairly inexpensive.

And, if you consider the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams a small card set, Im also working on that in PSA 7 and 8!

I would love to see what others here are working on!

Comments

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I don't think Michael Clum comes on here. He's a good guy. I sell a lot of cards for him and we trade with each other for cards we need. I started talking to him when we were both making the same sets. Here's the one we are both working on now:

I got to #1 on this set with the help of these 2 cards. There are only 2 PSA 10's ever given on this set out of 394 cards submitted to date and these are the 2. As long as I hang on to these, I don't think anyone can pass me. I would like to welcome Mike Castaldi into the handful of people making this set. There is 6 of us now on the registry. Hopefully one day there will be 100 people.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Here are my small sets.

the 1996 Playoff Honors set. I am #1 and complete. Then again no one else is on the set yet. Favre-PSA10, E Smith PSA9 and C Martin PSA9.

the 1993 SP All-Pros. I am #1 and complete (not PSA though). I have two cards in now and the last one is waiting to be graded for free.

I am also working on the 96 and 97 inscriptions sets.

Feel free to check them out. I have some others that I am thinking of doing as well.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I always work on a small set or two when I"m also working on a big set, it helps me feel like I'm getting somewhere.
    Here's a real small one- 2 cards,almost 100 years old, and not too tough to find, nor tough to afford:
    imageimage
    These were issued as part of a game (either a red deck or a blue deck) in 1913.

This 8 card set was issued by Topps in 1973 and handed out at a banquet, so it never made it into packs. There is an estimated 500 sets, with Jackie Robinson and Satchell Paige being the key cards. 3 of the cards picture someone other than the intended player. They are not impossible to find, but you can't complete the set in an ebay weekend. If my November submission ever pops and the last 2 cards grade ok I'll finally be done with this one.
    imageimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    great thread!!
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont have the focus to do a large set. My collecting genre is all over the map, so I like to do player sets.

Griffins, Those Lajoie cards are off the chart!!
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    My favorite small set is the 1977 Burger King Yankees.
  • Options
    tkd, do you want my Munson PSA 10? It's expensive but it's for sale. PM me if your interested.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>I always work on a small set or two when I"m also working on a big set, it helps me feel like I'm getting somewhere.
    Here's a real small one- 2 cards,almost 100 years old, and not too tough to find, nor tough to afford:
    imageimage
    These were issued as part of a game (either a red deck or a blue deck) in 1913.

>>

Anthony,
    I think those cards are a great example of how vintage doesn't always mean expensive. Great examples of an affordable card that has one of the game's stars.

BTW, it looks like one card is dated 1915. Is that a mechanical error?
  • Options
    For small sets I like the different Kellogg's sets. As a kid these were the odd-ball cards everyone had a few of, and since I was born in 1974, the sportflix like feature was kind of neat at the time.

Like downtown my purchases are also all over the board. (Perhaps that's a 1974 thing...;^)

I purchased a complete set of PSA 10 1991-1992 Fleer Basketball Pro-Visions on ebay the other day, which I thought was kinda cool. I have been thinking about tackling several of the earlier like Fleer sets as they seem fairly easy, most are only around 6 cards, and half or more are usually HOF'er or future HOF'ers. Outside of the Rookie Sensations of course.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Tom-
    you're right, it was labeled 1915. I don't even bother sending most of them back anymore- my last invoice had 4 mechanical errors. They seem to be increasing.
    The Lajoie in PSA 9 goes for about $50-75, I sold a few 8's for less. In fact all of the pre WW1 game cards go for relatively little.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    anyone collect more modern "small sets" ?

i'm working on the 92 donruss DK and elite sets
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
    2008 ring kings cut signatures
    any Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Keith Hernandez cards in (10)
  • Options
    1963 Bazooka ATG's is my small set of the moment. It's complete but needs some upgrade.....
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I'm obsessed with the E91 Set C cards. I have only 9 of the 33 cards so far.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I'm doing a variety of small sets, with varying levels of seriousness. Discs, Hostess, Kelloggs, Topps inserts, regionals, food issues, small pre-war sets. It's all good. image

Many thanks to Wabittwax for some nice Burger King cards.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Which cards did you buy from me? I forget, I go through so many BK cards.
  • Options
    I am doing a variety of small sets as well. Most have manifested from my player sets.
    I like the 79 Topps Comics
    77-78 discs- any
    77 SSPC puzzlebacks
    91 Holsum discs
    81 Topps Scratch offs
    81 Coke Red and Cardinals
    83 Topps Foldouts

That's all I can think of at the moment.....Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    Johnny Pro, baby
  • Options
    I think The Albert Pujols Rookie Card Registry fits the bill for this thread......Only 40 cards presently (soon to be 43 since PSA now slabs thick cards)....a great Modern Small Set Registry that any fan of the Great Albert should start!
  • Options
    Steve - mainly '78 BK Tigers common PSA 8s, but also one '77 BK Yankees common PSA 8.

And while I'm at it, another thank you goes out to Dave Cryer for a Big T/Tastee-Freez Lou Brock disc. It's even right side up. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    63 feer
    54 red heart
    51 bowman red menace
  • Options
    I was working on the 1984 Ralston Purina, till PSA pulled the plug on them. I have most in ten, many low or no pops, and had enough to finish. But PSA doesn't grade them anymore, and booted them off the reg. I still have them on he collector showcase, with pics of all of them. Ralston Purina

I'll never be able to finish the set PSA graded. The ones I'm missing, were never graded and do not exsist
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Options
    #19 (Reggie Jackson) exists.
    I have one of the 2 9s (I also have 3 others from this set - Simmons, Boggs, and Carter).
    The other was sold by 4SC a couple years ago, at a time when they got several Ralston Purinas (I know there was a Ryan as well) graded well after PSA had stopped grading them. I didn't keep track of who bought it.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• Options
    You are right. The only one that doesn't exsist is Yount. There are other's I'd like to find in 10, but exsist in 8 or 9.

The 4SC Ryan is what started an uproar here about 2 years ago, which lead to my banning from these boards. The ryan and others listed by 4SC, were graded well after many here on the boards had been reject by PSA on Ralston submissions. I was very upset, as I have enough raw to destroy the pops on these. All tens, every card, was my goal and would not have been a problem.

I also believe that alot of these cards ended up in flips that say "Topps Cereal Series", which were similar but a diffrent issue. I have a more than a few with flips labeled this way. The Cereal Series is believed to be rarer.

Same card, diffrent flip. The Cereal Series have the Topps logo on the top left corner.
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Since I realized about 2 years ago that I dont have the focus or desire to build any complete graded sets Ive managed to find true collecting happiness by working on several player sets along with various Yankee team sets.

Lately Ive picked up several complete 25 to 50 card complete non-sports tobacco sets raw that Id like to eventually have graded.

There is alot to be said for the " small " sets. They can be tons of fun packed into a small package that can be had relatively inexpensively and quickly.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra