Home Sports Talk
Options

How does one watch Major League Baseball?

wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

The other thread about what people watch got me interested in this.
Do you guys that like MLB sit down on the couch and watch entire baseball games?

I mean, do you actually sit there for 4 hours every night and stare at what's happening on the field?

When I was a kid, I loved baseball! Little League. Baseball cards. Box scores. The World Series.
Later on, there was the fun of taking the family to the game, even though the kids mostly liked it for the junk food.

Still pay attention to MLB, just am not interested in watching it.
No intention here to put it down, just trying to understand the attraction ...
Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to sit glued to the TV during baseball games, but nowadays, If I have it on at all, It'll be background to what I'm actually doing. If the announcers start getting excited, then I'll look.

Steve
  • Options
    Tough for me to sit there and watch a whole game of other teams but try not to miss a pitch of any Mets games during the season.

Dave
  • Options
    best watched in person, but i really enjoy listenting to it on the radio sometimes (with good announcers) or on TV in the background.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>best watched in person, but i really enjoy listenting to it on the radio sometimes (with good announcers) >>

Have to agree with that.

Growing up in Southern California
    and listening to Vin Scully and Jerry Doggett announcing Dodger games over the radio was pure heaven ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    We had Jack Buck and still have Mike Shannon here in St. Louis. I agree that it is nice listening when you have great announcers. I'll watching a game only when there is a chance of something significant happening: All-Star game, playoffs, World Series games. I also will watch when a great pitcher or hitter is playing, such as Pedro Martinez, Roger Clemens or Albert Pujols to name a few. To sit and watch a game with no significance other than it being a major league game.....I have better things to do....like play golf!
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I have no problem sitting and watching an entire game but it really depends on who I have to listen to. Being in NY, of course Im watching the Yankees. Anytime that Michael Kay is announcing, I become a channel flipper. I'll watch something and switch back and forth because I cant stand listening to him. But give me Jim Kaat, Ken Singleton, and Paul O'Neill and Im there. And ALWAYS loved to listen to Bobby Murcer. Damn I will miss him. Always had some great stories he would share.

Maybe one day the Mets will hire some good announcers and make it bearable to watch. Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, and who ever the other dude is make it so much more dry and boring.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I CAN and DO sit and watch a whole Cardinals game. Sometimes, though, I just have it in the background if I have something else to do. But, when Pujols comes to the plate, I am in front of the TV.

Shane

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not only will I watch the whole game, but my wife will be there right next to me. I'm training the two year old daughter to do the same! She's doomed to the life of a Red Sox fan!
  • Options

<< <i>I have no problem sitting and watching an entire game but it really depends on who I have to listen to. Being in NY, of course Im watching the Yankees. Anytime that Michael Kay is announcing, I become a channel flipper. I'll watch something and switch back and forth because I cant stand listening to him. But give me Jim Kaat, Ken Singleton, and Paul O'Neill and Im there. And ALWAYS loved to listen to Bobby Murcer. Damn I will miss him. Always had some great stories he would share. >>

From what I've read in the Post, Murcer's recovery is progressing nicely enough that he's planning on attending Spring Training and doing some game this year...
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The other thread about what people watch got me interested in this.
    Do you guys that like MLB sit down on the couch and watch entire baseball games?

I mean, do you actually sit there for 4 hours every night and stare at what's happening on the field?

When I was a kid, I loved baseball! Little League. Baseball cards. Box scores. The World Series.
    Later on, there was the fun of taking the family to the game, even though the kids mostly liked it for the junk food.

Still pay attention to MLB, just am not interested in watching it.
    No intention here to put it down, just trying to understand the attraction ... >>

I can "watch" baseball and do business paperwork at the same time - sort of like having the radio on in the background.

Could do that with football as well but I don't seem to get any paperwork done during most football games. LOL
  • Options
    I love to collapse on the couch after a long day's work and zone out & watch the game...any game. It's very relaxing. All the troubles seem to melt away when you're down by one and you've got a runner on 2nd with two outs...
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Depending on the circumstances, watching it on TV can become a tad stale. But if it's an important or good game, I can watch every minute without even thinking about flipping the channel.

Nothing like going to the game and downing a few though.

Good times image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Fox has turned me off completely from watching baseball on TV.
    Especially the playoffs with those stupid Fox show tie-ins. Nothing but a 3 1/2 hour commercial for their worthless shows.
    And Chris Myers is a f'ing joke. Now I can't watch NASCAR either because of his sorry ass.
  • Options
    I like to watch a good pitching duel (the so-called boring games). I'll tune in to Clemens, Johnson, Webb, Carpenter, Maddux, etc. When the bats attack, I turn it off.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only games I have fully watched Pitch for Pitch is the Red Sox in the AL championships and World Series games. Sox vs Yankees I will switch back and forth from other channels, very dificult to watch the game in its entierty, unless of course AL championship/World Series games like I said.
  • Options
    Baseball is much better watched in person than on TV. With the players spread out on the field you get
    a better feel for the game than on TV where most of the time it is just pitching that is focused on.

Radio is a better medium than TV for baseball. Growing up in Michigan we got Ernie Harwell calling the
    Tiger games, he is one of the great ones.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Wolf - to answer your question....in the "old days", with no cable and other BS, I would watch a baseball game in it's entirety on WPIX (Yankees) or Saturday Game Of The Week on CBS.

Nowadays, I only watch a specific game of interest, and mostly the playoffs and World Series. Times have changed.

R--

"A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I watch all the Red Sox games on MLB.com so I end up playing Spider Solitaire or something equally mindless while it's on. I live on the west coast so it's usually the 3rd or 4th inning by the time I get home from work, but I pretty much watch the rest of the game from that point.

If the Sox aren't on I usually only watch parts of games . . . or I'll watch while one of my fantasy league pitchers is on the mound.

There's nothing quite like listening to a game on the radio while you're on a long summer road trip though.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watch around 120 games a year. Nothing like sitting down to Vin Scully every night.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    i love watching games in person, with knowledgable buds, OR in rival towns with good fans who know the game, the players etc. Kansas City had really great fans when I went their to see the Indians play. At fenway the quality of the fan depends on the ticket price and how many beers they drank. Same thing in NY. lol.
    Folks in Seattle were very accomodating, same thing in Colorado.

During the summer, I'll watch any game on TV (since there are no decent network shows) and I'll rabidly watch playoff baseball or any good pitching duel.