Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Finland Proof Set Value Query...

I have a 2002 Finland Euro Proof Set that is housed in a really nice wood presentation box (velvet lining, etc.). The set is of a limited edition of 8,000. I cannot find anything approximating a value on this.

Does anyone have any idea what this is and an approximate value? Unfortunately my Krause does not go up to 2002 or I would have checked there first.

Thx in advance for any assistance!

Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

Comments

• Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    2006 Krause lists: KM# 98-105, gold medal (National Theater) mintage 8,000. 8 coin set. $500.00. Not too shabby!

• << <i>2006 Krause lists: KM# 98-105, gold medal (National Theater) mintage 8,000. 8 coin set. $500.00. Not too shabby! >>

Hmmm....I don't think this is the National Theater. It's a 2002 set and the best translation of the medal is that it marks Finland's first use of the Euro- The Finnish is "Yhteinen Rahamme" and my best translation is "Common Money".

The Set has the 8 coins plus the gold medal.

Thx!

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    The issue price of the finnish limited edition (8,000) proof Euro set 2002 (1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, 1e, 2e + gold medal) was a rip-off 500 Euros (~$650).
    Unfortunately, they aren't in very high demand today. I can't seem to find any completed auction records for this set, but on a quite popular finnish auction site someone has had a set up multiple times at a starting bid of EUR 280 (~$360) but has had no takers..

The gold medal is 8.6 grams and is 90% gold, so that alone has a bullion value of about $160. Add EUR 3.88 in face and you have $165. image

My best guess would be the set is worth about $250-$300 depending on how motivated a buyer you can find (these are very thinly collected even in Finland).
    It's a very nice looking set though.

Edited to add: The inside of the box reads "Kultainen vastaanotto Eurolle" (a golden reception for the Euro). Your translation for "yhteinen rahamme" is close, it's "our common money".
    It's a special coin set commemorating the introduction of the Euro (which replaced the Finnish markka).

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Ah, many thanks, Zot. This is just what I was looking for. I definitely see how this could be a limited demand thing given the very narrow topic (EU currency), but you are also right in that it is a VERY nice set.

This should be fun to try and sell....NOT!

Thanks again!