Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is it even worth buying mint-wrapped SHQ rolls any more?

The quality of the past 2 years of mint wrapped & boxed 2 roll sets has been disappointing, to put it mildly! I am finding equal, if not better, quality coins in bank rolls! I just opened a mint roll of NE-P quarters, and nearly every coin showed grungy, struck-thru-grease surfaces, incomplete strikes, or lots of scratches...similar to many of the other recent releases that I've searched through.
The struck-thru-grease seems to be an ongoing problem at the Philly mint in particular, and the Denver quarters seem to have alot of poorly struck coins, especially the lettering along the rims. These rolls used to be the most consistent source of registry grade material, but lately, I'm wondering if it's worth the $$ to buy mint wrapped coins.......the only premium would be in the case of a possible error discovery.
Is the mint (along with TPG registries) slowly forcing us to abandon TRUE circulation strikes and accept the satin-finish coins for our collections? What say ye other SHQ collectors?
Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anybody cares any more.
    And as for the mint and the TPG's getting together FAT CHANCE.
    Not enouph profit for either of them.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Oh there are plenty of us who still care. The ones who don't care are the ones NOT trying to build uncirculated Modern sets, and, so it appears, others we won't mention.. image
    Dan
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people don't buy them to open them, so if thats what you are doing just go to your bank and get them for face value. That program was started I believe after the first few states had been issued IIRC so it will be impossible to acquire a full set of the mint wrapped rolls.
  • Options
    I have been having a problem with the bank wrapped rolls. The bank does not have them, or won't sell them. The mint still seems like the best way to go.
    Dr. Scott A. Blum
    drblum@comcast.net
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About the bank rolls. I was told the banks don't make there own rolls in most cases. Firm's like Brinks make to rolls from bags and supplys them anymore.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the banks here have them and I can usually get all I want for $10 a roll. Also if I have $400 in loose change they gladly accept it without charging me to count it or deposit it.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it even worth buying mint-wrapped SHQ rolls any more? >>

Why not try mint bags and see if you have better luck. Some top pop coins are coming from the bags I'm told.
    You could start with the smaller bags, then move up if it works out for you.
    Dan
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been buying the smaller mint bags ($25) from the onset and have not been pleased with the quality of coin that comes from them. I think its just a crapshoot at this point in time. The best stuff I have seen is from bank rolls.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I agree, Lee - it is a crapshoot. Here in western Pennsylvania, we seem to be at the tail end of the distribution of each state released as far as bank rolls go. That may be why the bank rolls that I have been getting for the last 18 months or more have been very poor quality - the dies are probably on their last legs when the coins are struck! But it still seems that the bank rolls have a higher % of quality coins than mint rolls.
    I tend to order at least 3 boxes of the 2 roll sets from the mint, and at least a couple mini-bags from each mint. I have not opened any of the recent years' minibags, and maybe that is the way to go for quality coins - it was always the last source in the early years, when a collector could depend on pretty clean coins from the mint wrapped rolls.
    I wonder if anybody knows the release order of the quarters on a Fed bank basis - then I could pay a bit extra to buy rolls from an area that the coins were released from early die states?
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    I've been putting the mint's state quarter stuff away from the start.
    New Hampshire was the first roll set release. They also offered
    double roll sets in one package.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I give up here asking banks for state quarter rolls. Nobody has them here in Maryland. If anyone is around Baltimore please tell me which banks have them.