Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with info on a Vatican City medal

Ok I bought a set of coins from Vatican City and they put this coin in the top hole. It is about the size of a US half dollar. I can not find any info on it. All the coin that were in the set were from 1961 or 1962 so I figure it is from one of those year or atleast sometime between Pope Pual XXIII term or what ever you call it. but I beleave from 1962. SO I am preaty sure if this is a medal. But I am looking for some info on this coin if anyone has any. Also does anyone know its value. so if anyone has more info would apprecate it.

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Its not in the DeLuca catalogue so its not an offical issue of the Vatican. Calo lists the type as #27 of John 23rd and as an issue of Savelli, a private medal maker. Per Calo it was issued in both silver and bronze of 30mm size. Your medal looks plated - esp on the reverse - so I'm not exactly sure what its status is.

It looks like you've got a private souvenir medal issued for the Ecumenical Council, Vatican II in 1962. You see this type of medal and set on ebay from time to time. I typically don't buy private issues but would guess it would only be worth a few dollars but will defer to someone else on values.

By the way, from your desctiption, you have a "mint set" which was privately made up for sale to tourists and collectors. There were 2 1962 mint sets issued by the Vatican. They only contain 8 coins (L1-500) and no medal.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Although not listed in DeLuca, it does share some similarities to official medals. Mistruzzi engraved dozens of official medals, and Savelli was also involved in official medals (the Sede Vacante medals of 1958 and 1963 jump out in my memory). Also, the obverse appears to be exactly the same as DeLuca 275-7. However, being included in a privately assembled mint set does make it suspect. Also, the obverse maintains the classical use of using 'V' for 'U', while the reverse uses 'U'. I'm no expert here, I'm just making some observations. Either way, it's a nice medal.